2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I look at in a simple way….Typically to stay up you need a point a game across the season or thereabouts. We are ahead of the curve (just) at the moment 15 points from 14 games. But from the most recent eight games we are collecting points at the rate of 0.25 a game, way below the required rate. Eight games represents quite a chunk of the season and the upcoming fixtures are difficult. I am sure we will be below the required points per game rate across the season very soon so will need to catch up. Not sure where the impetus to catch up will come from if I’m honest.

BT Sports panelists debating Rafael and have all agreed that issues run deeper than him and he can't be to fully blame.

They said we over achieved at the start of the season are now underachieving. They said Gray and Townsend are excellent signings and given more money he could bring more quality in. They said Brands can and can't be to blame. They said the blame is on Moshiri and Bill and a board change would be more important than sacking Rafael.

They agreed that Rafael needs a few more games before they think about pulling the trigger and even then bringing in someone else won't change the deep issues within the club.
I agree the rot is deeper than one manager we have had five or six and are in a decline. But as well as the board, Benitez needs to go too!

BT Sports panelists debating Rafael and have all agreed that issues run deeper than him and he can't be to fully blame.

They said we over achieved at the start of the season are now underachieving. They said Gray and Townsend are excellent signings and given more money he could bring more quality in. They said Brands can and can't be to blame. They said the blame is on Moshiri and Bill and a board change would be more important than sacking Rafael.

They agreed that Rafael needs a few more games before they think about pulling the trigger and even then bringing in someone else won't change the deep issues within the club.
An impartial summary, brought to you by the North Korean minister for public relations.

You're quite right, he is not the only problem, but, he is a problem and the one that needs most urgently addressing. Bad fit for this club, jurassic football, 2 points from the last 24 and currently in 15th place level on points and goal difference with 16th and 4npoints off rock bottom.

Not the waiter's fault though hey, no need to worry, 'the waiter's at the wheel.'

Given the injuries and lack of budget and the state of the squad, I don't even have high expectations this season I would take a boring mid-table /lower mid finish with turgid football if we were getting results! The fact we don't even look solid or negative or like we can dig out results and haven't won since September sets alarm bells ringing to me.

You're quite right, he is not the only problem, but, he is a problem and the one that needs most urgently addressing. Bad fit for this club, jurassic football, 2 points from the last 24 and currently in 15th place level on points and goal difference with 16th and 4npoints off rock bottom.

Not the waiter's fault though hey, no need to worry, 'the waiter's at the wheel.'
5 point edit

What's that got to do with Dyche? Or Benitez? Or anything to do with Everton? On the plus side you're not talking about Graham Potter or Eddie Howe, for a change.

You said Dyche being low in the table is a reason not to go for him when Moyes was relegated in 20th with Sunderland now is 4th with West Ham.

Therefore your argument has no leg to stand on

Coleman a year older, not replaced. Sigurdsson gone, not replaced. World class manager gone, replaced by a lesser one. Calvert-Lewin played 39 games last season and we hadn't sold Kean and brought in a competent understudy if he got injured, which happened.

I also saw many performances last season where we should have been beaten and we weren't. We should have been 10 points or so worse off, and that's on Ancelotti working miracles. We won just the one game by more than one goal in 2021; I knew that couldn't be maintained.

So my prediction was simply playing the odds and looking at the situation objectively. It's been proven right; even when we were winning under Benitez in September, I was nervously looking for the 40 point mark. I never once entertained European qualification, because I knew what we actually had.

I think we stay up this season regardless of whether we sack Benitez or not. If we could sack Benitez and bring in an Ancelotti-type proven world class manager and have him here for three years, I'd be all for it. We can't, so I'm not. So I'd rather just stick with it.
See you in the Championship then.

Yeah it was reported in the beginning that Brands didn't want Rafael.

In October it was revealed that Rafael now has full control over transfers.

In November Rafael orders a full review on backroom staff and orders the youth sides to start playing in the same style as the 1st team.

My guess is there's a power struggle and Rafael is essentially doing his job for him.
My guess is that you are talking a load of made up twaddle.
When Benny bsllsack goes at least we will be spared your inane comments

No, Allardyce's modus operandi is to survive. He doesn't have anything else in him. Benitez has at least proved in the past he has what it takes to utilise a squad and win something with it. He hasn't proven necessarily he can build one, but we're Everton, you gamble on that or you go for Eddie Howe.

I think he'd improve us just by being in the job for a few years. It can't be stressed enough that having five managers in five years has put us in this situation, no matter how anti-Benitez you are you should be able to at least acknowledge that. So why, then, would you keep on doing it?

He's been given no money, inherited a threadbare squad with deep issues in key areas, such as no playmaker, one senior striker, no cover at full back and some shocking footballers. He's had the worst injuries I can personally remember; not just in pure numbers but the actual players getting injured who are the spine of the squad and, in many respects, the only decent footballers we have.

So I look at all mitigating circumstances and I go "give the fella a chance where possible". If it gets absurdly bad, fine, sack, but we're still 5 points clear of relegation and only 7 points off Europe, and it's been less than half a season - it is simply too early to pull the trigger, sack and bring in a panic appointment where we'll end up in exactly the same scenario in 12 months time, if not even worse.
Benitez' recent achievements' and his time with us don' t suggest that his modus operandi is much different to that of Allardyce.
Also, you are not entirely correct:
Threadbare squad - may be, but better than what half of the league has;
No playmaker - we had a very talented one but Benitez persisted in getting him out;
One senior striker - we got another whom Benitez wanted very much;
Terrible players - yes, like Iwobi whom he plays regularly. He even added one of the worse, if not the worst player, I have seen in an Everton shirt.
No cover at full back - Nkonkou who showed great promise, was sent on loan during Benitez time, right? Also it was widely reported that Benitez was not convinced by Dumfries, while keeping Kenny in the squad;
Injuries - every manager has injuries, Ancelotti also had many but managed to cope with them. Also, we don't have that in our last two games and we were terrible.
And if 5 points off the bottom in the middle of the season is not absurdly bad for you, I don' t know what is.

Status
Not open for further replies.