Chelsea vs Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Guardian thought Jonjoe Kenny was at right midfield, Holgate at RB - is that how we set up? Anyone have a clear idea of how the formation was looking?

1. Brainthwaite - Answer to our CB woe?

2. Injury problem - as exciting young players get to start. Nice to see Dobbins darting about with pace and creating chance at one point

3. Back five - seem to bring good results as Carlo did last year

A good draw this. Hopefully something good and a change in team setup and recruitment strategy after this. COYB

We were lucky, no doubt about it, and game should arguably have been out of sight by the time Branthwaite slotted

Anyone who thinks our troubles are over need only look at Michael Keane's positioning for that late Thiago header. Sprints on his own to the first post, completely leaving him to get a free header. Bizarre. Iwobi was also shocking from what I saw, offers nothing

On the other hand the game was revealing of who in the second string squad are good enough to retain and/or give a shot at more first time action. Godfrey, Branthwaite, Gordon were all excellent. Thought JPG looked quite sharp when he came on, as did Lewis Dobbin.

Great result, but I am loathe to celebrate a draw
Keane was immense last night so unfair to pull him up on maybe the only mistake he made! But you also say JPG looked sharp so not much point worrying about what you think ?. He gave the ball away every time he touched it!

1. Brainthwaite - Answer to our CB woe?

2. Injury problem - as exciting young players get to start. Nice to see Dobbins darting about with pace and creating chance at one point

3. Back five - seem to bring good results as Carlo did last year

A good draw this. Hopefully something good and a change in team setup and recruitment strategy after this. COYB
Hopefully it's the start of our youth players getting a chance, we've had a succession of managers who've not given young lads a proper go.. Rafael was forced into it last night and their ability and hunger was there for all to see. RB remains an issue and needs sorting. Dobbin and Simms will hopefully see more game time and could save us substantial money..

In sky Tuchel says we were lucky. There is always a bit of luck in a game, he goes on to state he had top players missing and the result would have been different but so did we have top players missing.

Thats life.

Keane was immense last night so unfair to pull him up on maybe the only mistake he made! But you also say JPG looked sharp so not much point worrying about what you think ?. He gave the ball away every time he touched it!

You can give the ball away and look sharp? Two are not mutually exclusive. Fact that he was even on the ball often enough to give it away was a positive, and often of his own doing. Was aggressive in getting out to the ball and getting to it first. Crowded out by Chelsea players in congested areas of the pitch which made it difficult to retain it, but was a nuisance I thought and bought us time. I am probably seeing it too positive, especially relative to how sluggish he looked against Wolves, but thought he played with a better intensity. I just want him to show us something, anything.

As for Keano yeah he was 'immense' but he loves that type of game, defend the edge of your own six yard box and hoof it clear. We won't and can't always play that and I was just pointing out that deficiencies in the more nuanced part of the game remain. Plus I have a personal vendetta against Keano.

But yeah I wouldn't worry about what I think - I don't either ;)

You can give the ball away and look sharp? Two are not mutually exclusive. Fact that he was even on the ball often enough to give it away was a positive, and often of his own doing. Was aggressive in getting out to the ball and getting to it first. Crowded out by Chelsea players in congested areas of the pitch which made it difficult to retain it, but was a nuisance I thought and bought us time. I am probably seeing it too positive, especially relative to how sluggish he looked against Wolves, but thought he played with a better intensity. I just want him to show us something, anything.

As for Keano yeah he was 'immense' but he loves that type of game, defend the edge of your own six yard box and hoof it clear. We won't and can't always play that and I was just pointing out that deficiencies in the more nuanced part of the game remain. Plus I have a personal vendetta against Keano.

But yeah I wouldn't worry about what I think - I don't either ;)
I think both Keane and Pickford love that sort of game.
When we bought Pickford from Sunderland it was based on a whole season of that!
Maybe Benitez will start playing some youth now and playing to his players strengths rather than sticking stubbornly to his previous decisions and trying to prove he was right..

I thought Benitez's decision regarding Simms and Dobbin was one of the very few he's got right this season., and that was largely thrust upon him. I think Simms did a decent job up front without getting hardly anything to work with and Dobbin's energy occupied their defenders a bit more at the end when we were flagging.

I can't bloody bear that Ian Darke, and listening to him going on about Benitez and his experimental side suggested he'd dropped half a dozen first choicers so he could try something different, wish the bellend would go back to watching boxing. He only put the players in because he had no choice and did what many of us have been calling for for weeks by giving the youngsters a run. Making him out to be some tactical genius because he got a result is really stretching it.

Status
Not open for further replies.