Confirmed Signing Nathan Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe the overreaction for some poster because I said Everton are taking a punt on a player who has hardly played in the SPFL. I would have thought that was obvious, but it appears to have upset a few people.

As I said, i can only imagine how bad the reaction have been if I had criticised Patterson in any way.
I wouldn't take it personally pal, everyone's mood is down that's all, people are angry at what is going on.

Oh I don’t know maybe just this sarcastically barbed comment from a Celtic fan.

I dont see even one comment on Patterson's ability there. I'm sure you'll understand if I don't hold my breath while I wait for you to come up with something substantial.

The poster enthused about Patterson's ability, and I wondered how he could have reached this conclusion bearing in mind how few games Paterson has played for Rangers. Some of the reactions to what seems to me to be perfectly reasonable comment have been toe curling.

I really don't get all the bad press bring given this lad on here. The club have brought in a young lad on a fee that is probably whether you believe the press or not is likely to be around £2/3m per season with some additions along the way. He has been picked by Scotland (ok they aren't the greatest but still an international at 20) and fits the kind of player we should be bringing in i.e. a young prospect that could (and i emphasise could) sort our right back position for years to come. At least we haven't spent a fortune on bringing in some 33year old on a massive last pay day which is something we have a propensity to do. Lets see him actually play before we start booing him eh.

Full Disclosure, Rangers fan.

My tuppence worth - Patterson has the potential to be a very good player. The last time we were as optimistic about a youth coming through was Billy Gilmour (he didnae see a game although I grant you he was younger when he left), the problem is not his ability, nor his potential, it's everything else that could be a problem, is a problem.
Let me explain, imagine the scene - Rangers hemorrhaged cash in operating costs and players working their way up the divisions from the bottom of the Scottish game, they've reached the top flight and they are well off the pace with Celtic, who are cruising for 10 in a row (neither side is living down being on the sore end of that for decades). It's been a bumpier ride than many could have ever imagined. 2 managers in a row just didn't get it that 3rd or 4th or whatever is simply not justifiable in our 'ale house league' or they didn't have/get what had to be done. Gerrard was a gamble, a huge gamble as no one could say he was a proven manager with the experience to turn the tide and stop the 10, no one thought he'd have much more than his name to work with, crucially though his name brought financial and player backing, backing even from those that had already dug deep already without seeing a return.
Gerrard then built infrastructure, a solid team behind him, a raft of player improvements, a solid team in front of him. All of these cost money though and we've been pissing it for years without success and a road to Europe and the much-needed financial bounty it provides. It's coming down to the wire to stop the 10 having just seen the league ended early and no fans will see a game anytime soon due to Covid (more money lost). Rangers pull it together and Celtic collapse, witnessed by barely a fan where there should be 50,000. Gerrard got the job done and optimism is high for the new season added to by the surprise that we've hung on to all our players and we expected a sale or two for good money,...then the season starts and it's stale (why? nobody knows for sure) Rangers start both legs of a qualifier against Malmo the better team by a margin and gift 2 goals away early of the 2nd half in both games, Rangers crash out and miss out on £30m. A few reminder points here - Rangers don't get 10's of millions in TV money, and big clubs cost cash to run, the players want more than they would for a team down the road, winning everything in Scotland wouldn't pay the wages of a 1st team player at Everton etc. etc. To top that off Gerrard hadn't sold anyone really never mind for a profit (those before him no better really) and now had missed out on the Champs League (£30m) that many friends and more foes believed we needed. Mostly everyone was surprised to see no sales following the exit and the window shuts.
It's easy to see why a financial pressure was building that requires sales at good prices and automatic Champs League qualification by winning the league this year - Everton seemingly read our situation like this and tested our resolve in the last window for Patterson, a derisory offer that a Rangers team in crisis accepted for Jelavic. Rangers held their nerve, seemingly because we have enough to see us through this season and in the position we're in at present it seems likely that we'll get the league over the line and that CL money along with it, something you cannot demonstrate so easily at the start of the season. Everton recognises this so have come back reflecting that in their offer. Rangers fans and pro's alike seem to agree that this boy is worth potentially a lot more but considering this money may get us over the line or ease any burden and that he's not playing week in week out in the first team, it's a middle ground in context we can all accept.
Why has Patterson not been playing for Rangers? Quite simple really, Tavernier is the club captain and has seen no fewer than 4 full-time managers in his time at the club, he's regarded as a more complete player (he should be at his age with the 1st team experience he's has) and to drop him for a prospect (however good) is begrudgingly short-sighted. It could rip the heart out of the team, it could be a hassle for nothing as Patterson leaves soon anyway for bigger and better things, who then plays right back? How much will he cost?
How do we know he's any good then and how do we justify such a fee? Tavernier got injured and the boy came into a high-pressure environment (stopping the 10) with big boots to fill (Tav widely regarded as the best performing player in Scotland) and never looked out of place, he had no right to do so and yet he demonstrated ability in that time which merited challenging 1st team for Scotland (hardly Italy I know but Scotland fans and others would argue the holder of that position had done a good job and was quickly under threat) and he demonstrated again that he could do it already.
2 managers now don't seem to see Tav and Patterson playing together. Rangers fans have been uneasy at the lack of game time for Patterson this season, he should have been playing from the start with regularity for someone else if not us as you don't leave boys with talent and growth potential on the fringe rotting. We'd have loved to have seen him start, play every game, grow and develop over the whole of this season, maybe the next too but we recognise why he hasn't and why we subsequently won't see top dollar for him.
To conclude, circumstances have conspired against his progression at Rangers just as they allowed him a break in the first place. Given the run he'll get up to speed and raise his game as the bar has been in moving leagues and he'll develop into an unquestioned 1st team player, in the time that takes you'll see a player who attacks at pace, and who gives his all. I hate to compare players when it's not an exact match but you've got Rangers Tierney. Whether you give him the game time to demonstrate that or not remains to be seen.

All the best to him and Everton, I'll be watching his and your progress going forward.
Kinell lad the length of that, can you give us bullet points

Status
Not open for further replies.