2021/22 Vitalii Mykolenko

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your willingness to gloss over his many mistakes and his inability to get in any crossing position all night says more about your standards than me being odd. He is the epitome of our constant bad recruitment
You on about lad? Needs time to settle but the improvement has been immense the last couple of games. Get behind him ffs

Your willingness to gloss over his many mistakes and his inability to get in any crossing position all night says more about your standards than me being odd. He is the epitome of our constant bad recruitment
Your willingness to hide away from his good defensive display and his great use of the ball and his forward bombing all game says more about your oddness than peoples standards.

He's overcome the original fears since the first few games, showing good energy and pace, putting in consistent solid performances. Hopefully he can start being given the ball in the final third to create chances as he was getting in good positions, just ignored by Gray.

Was always going to be a tough start for him coming from the Ukrainian off season (looking very unfit to what he looks now) and the troubles back home.

Mykolenko starts this by not pressing though, he's concerned to leave Maddison and it lets the ball to Ricardo get them out. Later in the game he gets up and contests those balls and if fixes the problem.

Delph is bad here but so is Vitalii.

Where is he supposed to press? Look across the backline and you see he's staying in it with his position clearly mirroring Colemans - it's a clear tactical instruction to narrow the back four and stay fairly deep that he is following. Until the ball hits a certain point then it's the job of the forwards and midfield to press in other areas. That's not on Mykolenko - that's a tactic he is following and someone else hasn't done, or been able to do, their part.

Engaging further up than the rest of the backline would leave two huge gaps. One between him and the left central defender and further space behind him for easy balls over the top. The space that opens between him and Godfrey is clearly visible in the 3rd picture when he has to go across to engage towards the corner and the Leicester player gladly goes into it. It would have been madness leaving that gap and another behind when the ball was 10-20 yards further out.

He can contest those balls further up if the backline and team as a whole are further up and more compact as a unit. The way Leicester were pinging it about under little pressure early on in the game shows we were stretched out too much vertically in the way we were set up. Either the defensive line sat too deep or the forwards were pressing too high in relation to each other. It just left too much space for the midfield to close creating the huge gaps between the lines for Leicester players to move into and beyond in the first two thirds of the pitch.

He's putting the work in if nothing else

Clearly has a good attitude to bust his hump the way he is, especially with all the horrors going on back home

I like him. Whether he's as good as Digne is immaterial really. Blame the large food deliverer for signing him, but don't blame the player himself. He's working hard and doing his best. Good on him. I hope he comes good here, I really do

Status
Not open for further replies.