The £600mil+ spend narrative

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been saying this for a while, and when you throw in the difference in wage bills, this whole sky rhetoric of us having spent more than Liverpool etc over the past 5-6 years is farcical really, but because it is on the tv/radio twitter etc everyday you can't have a sensible conversation about it.
The latest figures show wages at them lot are about £70m a year higher than ours, over 5-6 years that's around £400m more than us? Never mentioned ever though

At the end of the day - If we're using the barometer of our lovable neighbours as being the benchmark for success - We've spent horrendously

The 'Net Spend' thing can be cut a million different ways- but the cold hard facts show that, since Klopp's arrival their net spend is something like £191m (using Transfermarkt) - using the same method sees our net spend at around £240m

It is fair to say that their Net Spend looks considerably better than it should because they palmed off a couple of unwanted players for ludicrous transfer fees (Coutinho for £121m?!)

When he took over they had just finished 8th whilst we finished 11th (so the baseline wasn't too different between us)

It's the usual Media narrative isn't it to say we've spent £500m on a heap of crap but unfortunately it's true. We have got a heap of crap for £500m they just don't include the £300m we've brought in as it's irrelevant to their narrative.

How far back do you go though? why stop at £522m, I expect we've spent Billions over the premier league era and we're still fighting relegation.

How many of the players that we have signed in that period are still with the club???

I agree its a narrative to beat us with, our recruitment has been very poor overall but I dont get the chosen period to focus on just while Moshiri has been here.
£328m from 2000 - 2016
£522m from 2016-2022

The recruitment was quite good for the main part, he had a couple of duds but you knew that he did extensive research into the type of player and character he wanted.

Moshiri has just spent money thinking that this will automatically get you silverware or challenging with no plan or idea how to get there; he mismanaged the club so much, allowing DoF, managers, himself and the chairman to actively sign players and its placed us in this position whereby we have a unbalanced squad, an dangerously high wage bill and we're looking down the barrel of relegation; which could see the end of this club for the next 10 years.

I don't think any other team has ever spent half billion pound and gone backwards at such an alarming rate

giphy.gif
That was the window mate, that was the one that killed it - the chase and getting our pants ragged off paying for Iceland proved to me we didn’t have a frigging clue what we were doing.

Only Pickford worth anything like what we paid for him - the rest is just horrific.

Weve been reading alot about how much money the club has spent under Moshiri and also how the playing squad has become worse under his ownership.

I've checked through a few sources for each incoming/outgoing and while will never be 'exact' i think we've spent £222.75mil as a net figure.

This works out at £37.125mil net spend per season.

Looking at our squad when Moshiri joined and now...you can see where the money has gone.

I dont think its as bad as it has been claimed.

2016/17

Incoming
Bolasie £25mil
Schneiderlin £20mil
Williams £12mil
Lookman £7.5mil
Gana £7.1mil
DCL £1.5mil

Outgoing
Stones £47.5mil
Gibson £2.25mil
Oviedo £1.8mil

Incoming total = £73.1mil
Outgoing total = 51.55mil

Net = £19.55mil

2017/18

Incoming
Sigurdsson £44mil
Keane £25mil
Pickford £25mil
Klaassen £23.6mil
Walcott £20mil
Tosun £18mil
Vlasic £8mil
Onyekuru £7mil

Outgoing
Lukaku £75mil
Barkley £15mil
Deulofeu £10mil
Cleverley £8mil
Lennon £1.5mil
Barry £1mil

Incoming Total = £170.6mil
Outgoing Total = £110.5mil

Net = £60.1mil

2018/19

Incoming
Richarlison £35mil
Mina £27mil
Digne £18mil

Outgoing
Klaassen £12mil
Funes Mori £8mil
Browning £4mil

Incoming Total = £80mil
Outgoing Total = £24mil

Net = £56mil

2019/20

Incoming
Iwobi £27mil
Kean £24mil
Gomes £22mil
Gbamin £22mil
Delph £8.5mil

Outgoing
Gana £28mil
Vlasic £20mil
Lookman £16mil
Onyekuru £12mil
McCarthy £3mil

Incoming Total = £103.5
Outgoing Total = £79mil

Net = £24.5mil

2020/21

Incoming
Godfrey £25mil
Allan £21mil
Doucoure £20mil

Outgoing
Schneiderlin £2mil
Dowell £2mil

Incoming Total = £66mil
Outgoing Total = £4mil

Net = £62mil

2021/22

Incoming
Mykolenko £17mil
Patterson £11mil
Gray £1.6mil

Outgoing
Digne £23mil
James £7mil
Bernard £1mil

Incoming Total = £29.6mil
Outgoing Total = £31mil

Net = £1.4mil

Under Moshiri

Incoming = £522.8mil
Outgoing = £300.05

Net = £222.75mil

2016/2017 Team

GK: Howard (37)
LB: Baines (31)
CB: Jagielka (33)
CB: Stones (22)
RB: Coleman (27)
CM: Barry (35)
AM: Barkley (22)
CM: McCarthy (25)
LF: Deulofeu (22)
CF: Lukaku (24)
RF: Mirallas (29)

Avg age = 27.9
Squad: https://www.transfermarkt.com/everton-fc/startseite/verein/29?saison_id=2016

Current Team

GK: Pickford (28)
LB: Mykolenko (22)
CB: Godfrey (24)
CB: Mina (27)
RB: Patterson (20)
CM: Allan (31)
AM: Iwobi (26)
CM: Doucoure (29)
LF: Richarlison (24)
CF: Calvert-Lewin (25)
RF: Gordon (21)

Avg age = 25.18
Squad: https://www.transfermarkt.com/everton-fc/startseite/verein/29?saison_id=2021
You are naive, or purposely omitting the agent fee?

£328m from 2000 - 2016
£522m from 2016-2022

The recruitment was quite good for the main part, he had a couple of duds but you knew that he did extensive research into the type of player and character he wanted.

Moshiri has just spent money thinking that this will automatically get you silverware or challenging with no plan or idea how to get there; he mismanaged the club so much, allowing DoF, managers, himself and the chairman to actively sign players and its placed us in this position whereby we have a unbalanced squad, an dangerously high wage bill and we're looking down the barrel of relegation; which could see the end of this club for the next 10 years.

I don't think any other team has ever spent half billion pound and gone backwards at such an alarming rate

need to factor in also the huge increase in TV revenue for all clubs having more money.

Dont get me wrong I agree, we've been so poor with who we've brought in. We've had our fair share of bad luck as well.

Interesting this, you can be interpreted several ways, such as against similar size clubs, or against the spending of our relegation rivals.
I wonder how much of it can you trace back to Usmanov, how much has Kia processed, how much TV and match day revenue has gone towards it.
What we do know is we have spent a lot of money and are left with a rubbish squad worthy of a relegation fight.

At the end of the day - If we're using the barometer of our lovable neighbours as being the benchmark for success - We've spent horrendously

The 'Net Spend' thing can be cut a million different ways- but the cold hard facts show that, since Klopp's arrival their net spend is something like £191m (using Transfermarkt) - using the same method sees our net spend at around £240m

It is fair to say that their Net Spend looks considerably better than it should because they palmed off a couple of unwanted players for ludicrous transfer fees (Coutinho for £121m?!)

When he took over they had just finished 8th whilst we finished 11th (so the baseline wasn't too different between us)
It's difficult to compare like that though because they've signed a number of players that were clearly good value but wouldn't entertain coming to us. We've overpaid for players because we haven't been able to attract the players we really wanted (Witsel and Mata spring to mind) and so have moved further down the list. Players like Salah, Thiago, and Mane didn't cost ridiculous amounts in the grand scheme of things but realistically they weren't available to us so the comparison doesn't work.

If the net spend was the only relevant spend we wouldn’t be in the mess we’re in today.

It's difficult to compare like that though because they've signed a number of players that were clearly good value but wouldn't entertain coming to us. We've overpaid for players because we haven't been able to attract the players we really wanted (Witsel and Mata spring to mind) and so have moved further down the list. Players like Salah, Thiago, and Mane didn't cost ridiculous amounts in the grand scheme of things but realistically they weren't available to us so the comparison doesn't work.
I imagine Mane was a realistic possibility - seeing as we just appointed his manager from the previous season. Obviously just wasn't as sexy a proposition as Gylfi Sigurdsson

Van Dijk or Funes Mori?

Andy Robertson?

Even Luis Diaz was (apparently) on the brink of signing for us last summer

We've just made horrendous decisions year after year - We had our chance to dine at the top table and we blew it

The sad fact is that all of the perpetrators of the decline are still in post at the club

Thanks for posting, Zatara. I don't think any of us are kidding ourselves re. the mess we've made of spending Moshiri's millions (ultimately his own fault) but it is a bit reassuring to know the amount is significantly smaller than normally suggested.

Who knows, maybe lessons have been learned, maybe we have better people in the important positions and a corner has been turned. If that is the case and we have got football people who are making football decisions, then maybe the future is brighter. I feel happier when Frank as manager, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.