The £600mil+ spend narrative

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats Leeson to you...

In essence, younger players have lower wages. Build a young team and add experienced players as the cherry on top.

Performance related pay wont work as players will simply go elsewhere and we wont be an attractive proposition.

Lots of mistakes of course.

However, if you look at the squad when Moshiri took over would you say that the current squad would be valued at more than £220mil above the 2016 squad?

Because, in theory thats the breakeven.
Performance related pay will work because there can be lots individual performance targets too. For example, an easy one would be you get a percentage of the quote pay per appearance, so there is an incentive to play and not be injured or be sitting on the bench. Or you can get more pay for playing two or three consecutive games, for each fans man of the match award or whatever you want. This is the sensible way to get players focused.

I imagine Mane was a realistic possibility - seeing as we just appointed his manager from the previous season. Obviously just wasn't as sexy a proposition as Gylfi Sigurdsson

Van Dijk or Funes Mori?

Andy Robertson?

Even Luis Diaz was (apparently) on the brink of signing for us last summer

We've just made horrendous decisions year after year - We had our chance to dine at the top table and we blew it

The sad fact is that all of the perpetrators of the decline are still in post at the club
Agree with this so much, it's painful to look at the early days and see all the players I just didn't want us to get at the time while there were quality players running around for lesser sides.

Was obvious that Robertson + Maguire were quality in that Hull side and I remember a few rumblings on Everton chats that Robertson looked every bit like a Baines successor.

Van Dijk rumours,

Luis Diaz this season is particularly painful although that's due to James being a melt and wanting more money (now he's got it he hates where he is and wants to have less money to live and play in a better place - irony).

All the has beens that we couldn't get over the line as well, Mata and Witsel rumours, Giroud apparently turning us down after meeting Koeman and saying yes because his wife didn't want to move and he had to be on his best behaviour because he'd just been caught sleeping around.

Not surprised Lukaku left and cited our inability to make signings to take us to the next level as one of the reasons why. Imagine how frustrating it must have been for him knowing the potential in the squad and the investments we were making only to bring in the likes of big Ashley Williams.

Weve been reading alot about how much money the club has spent under Moshiri and also how the playing squad has become worse under his ownership.

I've checked through a few sources for each incoming/outgoing and while will never be 'exact' i think we've spent £222.75mil as a net figure.

This works out at £37.125mil net spend per season.

Looking at our squad when Moshiri joined and now...you can see where the money has gone.

I dont think its as bad as it has been claimed.

2016/17

Incoming
Bolasie £25mil
Schneiderlin £20mil
Williams £12mil
Lookman £7.5mil
Gana £7.1mil
DCL £1.5mil

Outgoing
Stones £47.5mil
Gibson £2.25mil
Oviedo £1.8mil

Incoming total = £73.1mil
Outgoing total = 51.55mil

Net = £19.55mil

2017/18

Incoming
Sigurdsson £44mil
Keane £25mil
Pickford £25mil
Klaassen £23.6mil
Walcott £20mil
Tosun £18mil
Vlasic £8mil
Onyekuru £7mil

Outgoing
Lukaku £75mil
Barkley £15mil
Deulofeu £10mil
Cleverley £8mil
Lennon £1.5mil
Barry £1mil

Incoming Total = £170.6mil
Outgoing Total = £110.5mil

Net = £60.1mil

2018/19

Incoming
Richarlison £35mil
Mina £27mil
Digne £18mil

Outgoing
Klaassen £12mil
Funes Mori £8mil
Browning £4mil

Incoming Total = £80mil
Outgoing Total = £24mil

Net = £56mil

2019/20

Incoming
Iwobi £27mil
Kean £24mil
Gomes £22mil
Gbamin £22mil
Delph £8.5mil

Outgoing
Gana £28mil
Vlasic £20mil
Lookman £16mil
Onyekuru £12mil
McCarthy £3mil

Incoming Total = £103.5
Outgoing Total = £79mil

Net = £24.5mil

2020/21

Incoming
Godfrey £25mil
Allan £21mil
Doucoure £20mil

Outgoing
Schneiderlin £2mil
Dowell £2mil

Incoming Total = £66mil
Outgoing Total = £4mil

Net = £62mil

2021/22

Incoming
Mykolenko £17mil
Patterson £11mil
Gray £1.6mil

Outgoing
Digne £23mil
James £7mil
Bernard £1mil

Incoming Total = £29.6mil
Outgoing Total = £31mil

Net = £1.4mil

Under Moshiri

Incoming = £522.8mil
Outgoing = £300.05

Net = £222.75mil

2016/2017 Team

GK: Howard (37)
LB: Baines (31)
CB: Jagielka (33)
CB: Stones (22)
RB: Coleman (27)
CM: Barry (35)
AM: Barkley (22)
CM: McCarthy (25)
LF: Deulofeu (22)
CF: Lukaku (24)
RF: Mirallas (29)

Avg age = 27.9
Squad: https://www.transfermarkt.com/everton-fc/startseite/verein/29?saison_id=2016

Current Team

GK: Pickford (28)
LB: Mykolenko (22)
CB: Godfrey (24)
CB: Mina (27)
RB: Patterson (20)
CM: Allan (31)
AM: Iwobi (26)
CM: Doucoure (29)
LF: Richarlison (24)
CF: Calvert-Lewin (25)
RF: Gordon (21)

Avg age = 25.18
Squad: https://www.transfermarkt.com/everton-fc/startseite/verein/29?saison_id=2021
Definitely not as bad as is being claimed, but it's all about the clicks and exaggerations, and this year Everton are an easy target for media. They still haven't forgiven us for rejecting their own reject Rafael. I say 'they' because the RS saturate every broadcaster

Nah I meant to all the media that are pushing the £500 mil + spend line.....the truth is less sensational.
Ahh got it ;) agree.

Performance related pay will work because there can be lots individual performance targets too. For example, an easy one would be you get a percentage of the quote pay per appearance, so there is an incentive to play and not be injured or be sitting on the bench. Or you can get more pay for playing two or three consecutive games, for each fans man of the match award or whatever you want. This is the sensible way to get players focused.
Why would i sign a deal where im paid less than at another club? Im only going to sign a contract with clauses if i have no other options and im not an 'in demand' player.

Definitely not as bad as is being claimed, but it's all about the clicks and exaggerations, and this year Everton are an easy target for media. They still haven't forgiven us for rejecting their own reject Rafael. I say 'they' because the RS saturate every broadcaster

This summer i think is pointing to a huge clearout under the DOF/Manager. If they manage to do good business on the sales fees and reinvest the money well then all is not lost.

giphy.gif
*Shudders*
Barring Pickford,,how the blinking eck did that lot happen?

Weve been reading alot about how much money the club has spent under Moshiri and also how the playing squad has become worse under his ownership.

I've checked through a few sources for each incoming/outgoing and while will never be 'exact' i think we've spent £222.75mil as a net figure.

This works out at £37.125mil net spend per season.

Looking at our squad when Moshiri joined and now...you can see where the money has gone.

I dont think its as bad as it has been claimed.

2016/17

Incoming
Bolasie £25mil
Schneiderlin £20mil
Williams £12mil
Lookman £7.5mil
Gana £7.1mil
DCL £1.5mil

Outgoing
Stones £47.5mil
Gibson £2.25mil
Oviedo £1.8mil

Incoming total = £73.1mil
Outgoing total = 51.55mil

Net = £19.55mil

2017/18

Incoming
Sigurdsson £44mil
Keane £25mil
Pickford £25mil
Klaassen £23.6mil
Walcott £20mil
Tosun £18mil
Vlasic £8mil
Onyekuru £7mil

Outgoing
Lukaku £75mil
Barkley £15mil
Deulofeu £10mil
Cleverley £8mil
Lennon £1.5mil
Barry £1mil

Incoming Total = £170.6mil
Outgoing Total = £110.5mil

Net = £60.1mil

2018/19

Incoming
Richarlison £35mil
Mina £27mil
Digne £18mil

Outgoing
Klaassen £12mil
Funes Mori £8mil
Browning £4mil

Incoming Total = £80mil
Outgoing Total = £24mil

Net = £56mil

2019/20

Incoming
Iwobi £27mil
Kean £24mil
Gomes £22mil
Gbamin £22mil
Delph £8.5mil

Outgoing
Gana £28mil
Vlasic £20mil
Lookman £16mil
Onyekuru £12mil
McCarthy £3mil

Incoming Total = £103.5
Outgoing Total = £79mil

Net = £24.5mil

2020/21

Incoming
Godfrey £25mil
Allan £21mil
Doucoure £20mil

Outgoing
Schneiderlin £2mil
Dowell £2mil

Incoming Total = £66mil
Outgoing Total = £4mil

Net = £62mil

2021/22

Incoming
Mykolenko £17mil
Patterson £11mil
Gray £1.6mil

Outgoing
Digne £23mil
James £7mil
Bernard £1mil

Incoming Total = £29.6mil
Outgoing Total = £31mil

Net = £1.4mil

Under Moshiri

Incoming = £522.8mil
Outgoing = £300.05

Net = £222.75mil

2016/2017 Team

GK: Howard (37)
LB: Baines (31)
CB: Jagielka (33)
CB: Stones (22)
RB: Coleman (27)
CM: Barry (35)
AM: Barkley (22)
CM: McCarthy (25)
LF: Deulofeu (22)
CF: Lukaku (24)
RF: Mirallas (29)

Avg age = 27.9
Squad: https://www.transfermarkt.com/everton-fc/startseite/verein/29?saison_id=2016

Current Team

GK: Pickford (28)
LB: Mykolenko (22)
CB: Godfrey (24)
CB: Mina (27)
RB: Patterson (20)
CM: Allan (31)
AM: Iwobi (26)
CM: Doucoure (29)
LF: Richarlison (24)
CF: Calvert-Lewin (25)
RF: Gordon (21)

Avg age = 25.18
Squad: https://www.transfermarkt.com/everton-fc/startseite/verein/29?saison_id=2021
Our players are younger and nearly relegated? What a success story

Net spend is relevant to a degree. It's important for context. Us spending £500 million isn't the same as City doing it, because we lost our actual best players during the period of spending. I guarantee, things would be looking much rosier from a footballing perspective if we had managed to keep Lukaku and Stones, and spent the exact same money we have on the incomings (FFP Aside.)

However, we've paid out £500 million for players. It's not good enough. With good management, a £500M outlay should result in a squad full of quality, regardless of money received.

Net spend is relevant to a degree. It's important for context. Us spending £500 million isn't the same as City doing it, because we lost our actual best players during the period of spending. I guarantee, things would be looking much rosier from a footballing perspective if we had managed to keep Lukaku and Stones, and spent the exact same money we have on the incomings (FFP Aside.)

However, we've paid out £500 million for players. It's not good enough. With good management, a £500M outlay should result in a squad full of quality, regardless of money received.

I think if we sell £100mil worth of players this summer we need to find players whose values will be worth £200mil in a season or two.

This sounds obvious but when you look at it, players like Delph and Allan wouldnt be signed. It has to be those like Lookman/Vlasic or Branthwaite where the values double or more.

In short, nothing but u23s unless frees.

Status
Not open for further replies.