The £600mil+ spend narrative

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which shows one thing - Moshers hasn't spent recklessly as some like to claim, we haven't spent a lot more than clubs like Villa, Leicester and WHU.

The difference is their DOFs have been able to shift players they dont want for money whereas Brands was horrendous with this.

Leicester - £85 million Maguire, £50 million chillwell

WHU- £25 million Haller

Villa - £100 million Grealish

Brands couldn't get a cent for a 21 year old Italian International CF who bagged 15-20 goals the season prior at PSG but only a 2 year loan. He sold a former Brazilian international in Bernard for kin 800k, moved numerous players on for free deals like Walcott.

We made around £10mil on Rooney + would be making around the same when Kean goes to Juventus.

So thats another £20mil i purposely omitted.

Our wage bill is also enormous as we havent been able to sell players picked up under random managers.

I have been saying this for a while, and when you throw in the difference in wage bills, this whole sky rhetoric of us having spent more than Liverpool etc over the past 5-6 years is farcical really, but because it is on the tv/radio twitter etc everyday you can't have a sensible conversation about it.
Exactly
£227 net over 6 years does not make a great headline.
Not bad really considering where we started from though...
Have a look at the wage bill over the same years. ;)
Never at the same level as the supposed big 6 i imagine.
At the end of the day - If we're using the barometer of our lovable neighbours as being the benchmark for success - We've spent horrendously

The 'Net Spend' thing can be cut a million different ways- but the cold hard facts show that, since Klopp's arrival their net spend is something like £191m (using Transfermarkt) - using the same method sees our net spend at around £240m

It is fair to say that their Net Spend looks considerably better than it should because they palmed off a couple of unwanted players for ludicrous transfer fees (Coutinho for £121m?!)

When he took over they had just finished 8th whilst we finished 11th (so the baseline wasn't too different between us)
Thats the trap youve fallen into.

Coutinho's actual fee was more like £75mil. However every player the RS sell they announce it as if ALL clauses have been met already.

That makes their net spend look amazing.
You are naive, or purposely omitting the agent fee?
There is no way to know the agent fees on a per deal basis.
Thanks for posting, Zatara. I don't think any of us are kidding ourselves re. the mess we've made of spending Moshiri's millions (ultimately his own fault) but it is a bit reassuring to know the amount is significantly smaller than normally suggested.

Who knows, maybe lessons have been learned, maybe we have better people in the important positions and a corner has been turned. If that is the case and we have got football people who are making football decisions, then maybe the future is brighter. I feel happier when Frank as manager, too.

I dont even think it looks bad in black and white :)

All true . I wouldn't mind if we had overpaid for quality players or youngsters with great potential.
Unfortunately we have done neither
We have just blown the lot on crap.
The only 2 that we could possibly turn a profit on are Pickford and and Richarlison
Of course we will see a profit on DCL but he pre dates Moshiri at Everton

I listed him in the 2016/2017 season on the 1st page.

I listed him in the 2016/2017 season on the 1st page.
I wasn't commenting on your post amigo - it was Lanolin's.

However refering to your post the pre Mosiri team would batter our current team. That is a reflection of how bad our recruitment has been.

However refering to your post the pre Mosiri team would batter our current team. That is a reflection of how bad our recruitment has been.
Agree on this, the recruitment when Kenwright owned Everton was good, he kept an eye on things, Moshiri doesn't care as long as bank notes are getting washed.

Thats Leeson to you...

In essence, younger players have lower wages. Build a young team and add experienced players as the cherry on top.

Performance related pay wont work as players will simply go elsewhere and we wont be an attractive proposition.

Lots of mistakes of course.

However, if you look at the squad when Moshiri took over would you say that the current squad would be valued at more than £220mil above the 2016 squad?

Because, in theory thats the breakeven.
?????

Of course we will see a profit on DCL but he pre dates Moshiri at Everton

I was just referring to you saying DCL predated Moshiri. I think he signed in his first summer 2016.

The only players we had back then with any real value were Stones, Coleman, Barkley and Lukaku...the rest would have left for (and in almost all cases did leave) for pennies.

Compared with those 4 we would receive decent fees for Pickford, Mykolenko, Godfrey, Richarlison and DCL as well as possibly Kean, Patterson, Gray and a few others.

I dont disagree with the 2015/2016 team perhaps beating the current one because the defence was solid and we had an immense goalscorer. However, in terms of individual players it looks pretty close to having £200mil of superior player values.

After this summer I suspect that we'll see players sold with a fair bit of recycling done leading to more value in the squad.

Under Lampard and Thelwell we would have to hope that certain players are sold for reasonable fees and the new players perform over and above their transfer value.

It doesn't really matter how many players we have bought and sold, the only thing that matters is how much we raise by selling them. We have not made a profit on many players during this time frame so it alone is an indication on how well we have spent money. If we were 17th and had sold players for profit and not re-invested it then you could pinpoint that as a the root cause for our current struggles. Ultimately we have to match out 20 and 30 million pound players up with other teams in the league and see our true value for money in that comparison.

Players bought 600million
Managers sacked 70million
Agent fees 120million
Wages 900million

Relegation battle = Priceless
This is the big one for me. The revolving door of incompetents who were never suited in the first place has caused this, not just this but it also impacts on the agents fees and wages categories also. Some better choices from the start and sticking with them brings all 3 of those figures down.

Status
Not open for further replies.