2021/22 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gordon lacks the final ball and decision making in certain situations.

At 21 he's got time on his side to develop those two attributes. Not much else lacking.
‘Final ball’ often gets used as a bit of a catch all but there’s a few aspects to it. It’s not just the decision making aspect of things he needs to improve but the actual action itself. He’s had plenty of shots in situations I’m quite happy for him to shoot from etc, but he hasn’t executed them well enough. As you say, he has time on his side to improve that, but it definitely does need improving.

I dunno, I think when Ross broke through he put the work in.

Not as much as Gordon, but he has a different style, for me Barkley was 3 times the player Gordon is.

But we all know how Barkleys career has gone.
Barkley had everything when he was younger and was advanced for his years because he was genuinely 2 footed, he also had a physique which would enable him in the premier league but he didn’t and never will have the explosive pace or ability to take a player on 1vs1 that Gordon has. Gordon is an exceptional talent who also has a brain that works so for me he can go a lot further than Barkley

Barkley had everything when he was younger and was advanced for his years because he was genuinely 2 footed, he also had a physique which would enable him in the premier league but he didn’t and never will have the explosive pace or ability to take a player on 1vs1 that Gordon has. Gordon is an exceptional talent who also has a brain that works so for me he can go a lot further than Barkley
If Gordon ever scores a goal like Ross did at Newcastle we can talk further.

If Gordon ever scores a goal like Ross did at Newcastle we can talk further.
Is that the goal where there is 1 defender left and Barkley just runs from the half way line and then a defender fell over in the box before he got near him? I honestly don’t see much skill in that goal, what do you see in that goal that Gordon wouldnt do, other than get his head up and look for a player better positioned than him? (Something Barkley barely ever did)

Is that the goal where there is 1 defender left and Barkley just runs from the half way line and then a defender fell over in the box before he got near him? I honestly don’t see much skill in that goal, what do you see in that goal that Gordon wouldnt do, other than get his head up and look for a player better positioned than him? (Something Barkley barely ever did)

@MikelsGoat

I dont like the rat, but when he broke through he looked like he could become a special player. I dont see that in Gordon at all.
When Barkley broke through he was a class act, the lad was head and shoulders above anyone else around his age group and certainly looked like he had it all. the problem was as well as letting it gradually get to his head, you soon started noticing he had no next level to work to, the lad had already peaked.
as for gordon he's young, raw and still got everything in front of him. He wants to learn, he wants that next level to his game, and yeah he's not perfect yet and certain aspects of his game can be very frustrating to watch. but what we have to remember is this is his breakthrough season, he couldn't have been thrown in at a worst time, yet the lad has literally led this team on his own. I think the lad deserves to be judged on next season not a season ruined by a filthy kopite excuse of a manager.

All I know is that Ross Barkley could do everything Gordon can do, but he actually scored goals.

All I know is that Ross Barkley could do everything Gordon can do, but he actually scored goals.

Probably best to just say you don’t know next time…. Anyway here’s a video of something else ?
Barkley never got better than when he was 19, Gordon has miles of improvement to reach and he’s already doing well. Being brain dead didnt help Ross on the field or off it, Gordon is grounded and wants to learn. The Sky is the limit

‘Final ball’ often gets used as a bit of a catch all but there’s a few aspects to it. It’s not just the decision making aspect of things he needs to improve but the actual action itself. He’s had plenty of shots in situations I’m quite happy for him to shoot from etc, but he hasn’t executed them well enough. As you say, he has time on his side to improve that, but it definitely does need improving.
Yeah this is valid and is my only real critique of him.

I've said this before but it's not that he doesn't know what to do or makes bad decisions even, it's the execution of it all.

like when he got to the byline v Man Utd, he did exactly the right thing in hesitating slightly to buy Iwobi time to get into a better position. All he had to do was roll it in front of Iwobi but instead he then drills it in between Iwobi and Richarlison.

It's one example but it's happened an awful lot. A lot of cut-backs that are the correct thing to do just not quite executed properly and a defender gets there or it goes behind a player etc

That being said I think it's improving game by game

Probably best to just say you don’t know next time…. Anyway here’s a video of something else ?
I dont know what mate?

Im very aware that Barkley was unchallenged in his goal, very happy to admit that, he ran the full length of the pitch and scored.

Come back to me if Gordon ever does that.

If you watched the video I posted, it would show Barkley doing the same thing Gordon does, but at the end of his performance he caps its with end product and scores a goal.

I get it, Barkley is a RAT and after his initial breakthrough he never really hit the heights we thought, but he was a very talented player and IMO was head and shoulders above Gordon, a year younger.

Thankfully Gordon very much has time to start producing something extra, its his first season in a challenging time for the club.

We had a diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies.