Match Thread Everton v Brentford. Preview, Match Report and MotM poll

Your Everton MOTM vs Brentford

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
You’ve been posting almost a month and have yet to say one postive thing about Everton, its players or manager.

We’re not exactly the greatest team atm so not showering them with lavish praise is understandable but in that time we‘ve won against Chelsea and Leicester so no “thank goodness for that” or “good character shown” comments is a bit odd which presumably has raised some suspicions even if they are unjustified.
He’s a raging kopite wum merchant tlegs - every post of his screams it.

What's the popular choice for motm?

Don't know which way to go as they all put in a good shift.

Was pleased to see we kept trying, heads didn't go down and we didn't give up even if we were short of a bit of quality

They did cost us, but I’m not going to shy away from how we performed in the second half. Of course it’s terribly difficult with ten men, yet we invited them.
We sat back too deep, but of course that would happen.

T. Frank also made a clever change at HT that completely altered their shape to a back 3 and Henry was pushed on to play as an extra winger, giving more space to Eriksen.

It was good management from him and then what cost us was switching off at a corner (again, the near post) and Gordon losing his man at a cross.

But we don't have the players to protect a siege mentality. Lampard isn't perfect and has made mistakes im sure so far, but what else could he do rahter than just shoving an 18 year old reece welsh on? Can take off attackers and put pure bodies back and literally play a flat 6 with a flat 4 infront, sure. But morre often than not, that ersults in a defeat anynway as pure pressure takes it toll.

Benitez' whole philosophy (if you can call it that) is about defending. He couldn't do it? That was every game under no pressure, with a wider selection of players to choose from. It's the same group of players, it's the same ones who have proven themselves not good enough. We sat everybody behind the ball pretty much. We had numbers. For the most part it was working afte rhalf-term, we gave them nothing, then a set piece goes in from a weird position and the players switch off. It was Benitez' idea of parking the bus every game that has got us into this mess, the players can't do it. We also can't go gung-ho for a third either because we'd have even less back who are capable of defending.

I'm all for accountability of Lampard, he is not a perfect manager, very few are. I can't see what else he could do with that group of players today. Mina, Godfrey, Keane, Patterson (Branthwaite too at this point) all out. Delph out, Allan nursing an injury alledgedly. Kenny on the bench, proven as awful. two teenagers from the u23s on the bench.

We have to limp over the line and then if something like this occurs next season, with Lampard's choice of defnders, midfielders, attackers available to him, then fair play. I'd happily go yep, have to question it. This group, most of them under several managers have proven themselves unable to do the basics.

As bad as Benitez was, and he was bad, it was no different for him either, the players were unable to do the basics of defending. Ancelotti got a tune out of some of them for a while, but that fizzled out as well defensively. We cannot be expecting, when things havent gone our way with decisions (farcfully) that these players will bail us out.

As effortful as the team has been in the past few weeks, and I dont doubt the effort today. Pickford is the one who has really put in this position with his performancecs agianst Chelsea and Leicester. It has paperd over the cracks that these defenders cannot defend. So it comes as no surprise today that even though we sat back with numbers behind the ball, there were still gaps.
So we agree, it's been one bad coach after another. If you can't coach a team on how to defend in the Prem. then ultimately you are going to suffer.

I agree about being short staffed today but it starts with the mentality of the players wanting to work for each other. You need the forwards, midfielder and defenders on the same page and defending as one unit. It's harder to do with 10 men but you simply don't leave Richarlison and DCL on the field when you go down to 10.
You then don't go three at the back if you don't cover the flanks adequately. You don't go three at the back if the midfield stands 10 yards from the back line and allows space between them. It's basic stuff at this level and Lampard did nothing to address either of these issues today. It's as if they don't train together.

Didn't go today due to illness so died a thousand deaths following game on radio and media. I'm just so wound up with the whole palaver and my health taking a battering. Shamefully I still think we'll stay up despite our best efforts to scupper matters. I'd better take a day's break from all things footie in an effort to make sure I can go on Thursday.

Hope you get on the mend mate - never nice to hear of anyone not being too good.

I haven’t renewed so Thursday’s a big un in more ways than one - hoping we have it hostile under the lights.

We sat back too deep, but of course that would happen.

T. Frank also made a clever change at HT that completely altered their shape to a back 3 and Henry was pushed on to play as an extra winger, giving more space to Eriksen.

It was good management from him and then what cost us was switching off at a corner (again, the near post) and Gordon losing his man at a cross.
Thrown on Janelt and dropped Norgaard into defence. Played them both as wide centre halves and dictated.

He's a good manager Frank, though his chewing gum technique knocks me sick.

Anyone in the world is getting sent off there. Nothing else can be done without a ref losing his job.
What gets me is, and it is a foul and a red, that Branthwaite does to Toney exactly what Matip did to Gordon in the derby.

I don't think Matip should have gone, but it was a blatant foul, just like JB's.

You’ve been posting almost a month and have yet to say one postive thing about Everton, its players or manager.

We’re not exactly the greatest team atm so not showering them with lavish praise is understandable but in that time we‘ve won against Chelsea and Leicester so no “thank goodness for that” or “good character shown” comments is a bit odd which presumably has raised some suspicions even if they are unjustified.
I've said a few positive things but frankly, there isn't much to be positive about. We'll avoid relegation this season I'm sure of that but I am very worried about next season given how we have gone about things the last five years. We have no coherent plan and we have a coach who is inept. Beating Chelsea was a huge result and we were lucky against Leicester. Sorry if I'm not all happy about the state of affairs right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.