Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you lose Richarlison / Lewin, I'd honestly go for Broja if he's surplus to requirements at Chelsea. Everton is a more attractive proposition then if say Southampton went back in for him.

Or maybe Toney / Watkins, but then you're looking at big money for either, £30-50m lol, prices are unsustainable nowadays.

Watkins is garbage

I definitely don't believe that figure. If we're selling Mina I could understand putting aside that wage for a new CB (supposedly what Mina is on) but it can't be for Tarkowski, that would be mad. I would be fine with him as our Keane replacement, but only because I think he's a significant improvement and would be on a free.

Sell Keane and Mina, Tarkowski replaces Keane and a better CB replaces Mina. That'd do fine.
There are no buyers for Keane or mina

If Lampards preferred formation is 3-4-3 then need to need to recruit accordingly. We’ll need 2 centre backs comfortable on the ball and playing in a 3. We’ll also need 2 or 3 central midfielders good on the ball and capable of getting about the pitch. We’ll also probably need another wide player and another forward. And that’s even before if you have to replace richarlison or DCL, which we’ll probably have to do aswell.

Hopefully we don`t play 3/5 at the back, garbage formation. The only team that has used that system successfully is Chelsea since Conte and even then they drop off in many seasons with world class players.

Mina is decent on the ball as is Keane.

You dont need every CB to be a ball player lad !lol
If we want to play good football and score goals we kind of do. If we’re content to sign a clogger like Tarkowski to play in a 3 we’re going to have to rely on DCL winning his duels and then those around him (of whom there’ll be one fewer because we have an extra man in defence) picking up the second balls; law of averages says that’ll fail more often than it succeeds so we’re just inviting pressure back on a defence that probably hasn’t managed to push up the pitch that much in the intervening period because Tarkowski is a slug.

If we’re playing 3 we need confidence that any of those CBs can win the ball and start an attack/counter attack at pace.

Gana had the best tackling stats in the league behind Kante. While I get he may not have “stood out” in a flashy sense he absolutely stole the show in a pretty rancid team.

Tarkowski headed away lots of crosses, but I doubt he’d be tasked with that in our team. Same with blocking shots. I’d want us to be looking at quick CBs, good passers, great positional sense. This is just a grock. I suppose we could argue we may concede slightly fewer at set pieces but that would be more than offset by goals conceded in behind to quick strikers while Tarkowski ran through treacle trying to catch them.

We sort of need a grock though. We are very bad at defending set peices, and balls into the box

If Lampards preferred formation is 3-4-3 then need to need to recruit accordingly. We’ll need 2 centre backs comfortable on the ball and playing in a 3. We’ll also need 2 or 3 central midfielders good on the ball and capable of getting about the pitch. We’ll also probably need another wide player and another forward. And that’s even before if you have to replace richarlison or DCL, which we’ll probably have to do aswell.
If 3-4-3 is the case then players likes of Allan, Alli, Doucoure, Gbamin and Davies will all be surplus to requirements, none capable of playing in a 2. Iwobi will be permanent RWB, to me that is a massive waste.

The team that plays 2 in CM well is Spurs with Hojberg and Bentancur, both big, physical, mobile and they can play a bit. We have no one like that nor are we likely to be able to afford players like that.

If 3-4-3 is the case then players likes of Allan, Alli, Doucoure, Gbamin and Davies will all be surplus to requirements, none capable of playing in a 2. Iwobi will be permanent RWB, to me that is a massive waste.

The team that plays 2 in CM well is Spurs with Hojberg and Bentancur, both big, physical, mobile and they can play a bit. We have no one like that nor are we likely to be able to afford players like that.
They also have Antonio Conte and we don't. It's a big obstacle.

Lampard and our dof are both advocates of the 3/5 at the back formation. So you'll need to get used to it
If that is the case I think we will be right back down there next season, put the points and GD between the 4-3-3 and 3-4-3 together and you will see 4-3-3 is a million miles ahead of the formation that got Rafael sacked and started our descent to the championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.