Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
The word is 3 year deal on 90k p/w, he's a solid and durable player. Resale doesn't really come into play when it's a free transfer.

In the ideal world he comes in, is a solid performer for 3 years. And we look to extend or release on a rolling basis from then.

I can see us shifting Mina so this makes sense as an immediate replacement who the manager will know he can depend on and has a good injury record.

Not every signing can be a young, hungry player. The point is that when we invest large sums of money like with Patterson and Mykolenko, that we meet that profile of player described in the strategic review.

For Tarkowski, think Distin, Barry etc..

I get all that mate, devil will be in the detail which we aren't privy to.

Gareth Barry was one of the best in the game - why Liverpool wanted him big time, why he won the league at Man City, why he'd just played 40+ games for Man City the season before us. That's never James Tarkowski.

Distin I never personally rated and don't think we should be trying to replicate transfers like that.

I'd rather Lescott, Stones, Jagielka etc - players with their better years ahead of them.

Maybe we don't have the luxury this summer, but let's not burden ourselves in the future.

3 year deal on 90k is a world away from 5 year deal on 120-140k.

I get all that mate, devil will be in the detail which we aren't privy too.

Gareth Barry was one of the best in the game - why Liverpool wanted him big time, why he won the league at Man City, why he'd just played 40+ games for Man City the season before us. That's never James Tarkowski.

Distin I never personally rated and don't think we should be trying to replicate transfers like that.

I'd rather Lescott, Stones, Jagielka etc - players with their better years ahead of them.

Maybe we don't have the luxury this summer, but let's not burden ourselves in the future.

Distin was really good for us, reliable, pretty quick, good in the air, made one mistake in a semi final.

The move for Tarkowski makes sense and as others have said has a good number of appearances over last few seasons, regarding the wage it’s like we have given him Delphs wage but we are actually going to get someone who will be available most weeks I hope.

Interesting looking at some of the ages of the top retruning opta centre back last season:

VVD - 30
Matip - 32
Rudiger - 29
Laporte - 28
Coady - 29
Dier - 29
Silva -37

It was only really Gabriel (24) and Dias (25) under 28.

Nobody knows.

But would you give James Tarkowski a 5-year-deal on between £100,000 and £140,000 per week?

Most Evertonians think a top 10 finish should be our aim for next season.

If not next season, surely it's the aim for within the next 5 years?

How many teams in the top 10 does he get in?

Burnley compliment low block centre halfs really well - can they play a more expansive team?

Michael Keane was a better defender for Burnley than James Tarkowski.

My concern is we fast forward 18 months and fans are again wondering why we've got a 30+ year old who isn't that good, who we again can't shift because he's on a long deal on big wages.
I wouldn't give him a 5 year deal on 100-140 no but the reported number is 85 x 3 which isn't even in the same ball park as your figures. So until we know roughly what it is we can't judge or criticise as it's all getting mad over nothing. If it is your figures it's ludicrous but that's not what is being reported.

I don't think we jump from 16th to top half next season but if he is the difference in a jump from 16th to say 12th,even on 100k a week he's paid his wages off. To answer your question about how many top 10 teams he gets in I'd say probably 4, West Ham (Dawson), Brighton (Veltman), Wolves (Coady, Boly), Newcastle (Burn). I could make an argument for him vs Evans and Davies for Leicester and Spurs but I think he's clearly good enough to start in 4 of them. The only other everton defender I could say would start for top half teams is Mina who we both knows problems are durability rather than quality.

Tarkowski used to be a ball player who Dyche neutered, whether he can play a more expansive style is one thing I'd hope our scouts have sussed out by measuring his recovery pace, passing ability, control under pressure etc. Which I don't have time to do myself but the stats suggest he probably can. Quite frankly though Everton themselves couldn't play a more expansive game last season and got cut open at will so maybe lampard is rethinking that part of us to be better. It wasn't Burnleys defence that saw them relgated it was the fact they couldn't score in a brothel.

You can have concerns about the wage and age but I'm sure there was plenty about Jonny Evans, I even saw some when we were linked with Thiago bloody Silva. Dawson signed for West Ham at 31. If he gives us 2 seasons as a starter where he wins headers at set pieces, plays 35 games a season and makes us more solid at the back that's all you can ask for off a free agent. I could live with him being a bench player in his final year if he done that for us. Will he do that? Who knows, but Godfrey hasnt done that and he fills all your criteria of being young, hungry etc. I don't think now is the time to be gambling with signing unproven players at the back after watching *that* last season.

I get all that mate, devil will be in the detail which we aren't privy to.

We would all prefe4 younger players with room to develop, but we simply don’t have the money to go out and fill the squad full of them. Think last summers transfer budget. We’re in the same position.

Where there are competent older players available for free in positions where we need bodies, we have to be in for them. Keep the actual transfer budget (if any) for younger players. It’s the reality of the situation we’re in.

I wouldn't give him a 5 year deal on 100-140 no but the reported number is 85 x 3 which isn't even in the same ball park as your figures. So until we know roughly what it is we can't judge or criticise as it's all getting mad over nothing. If it is your figures it's ludicrous but that's not what is being reported.

The thing is though Francis, it is.

Everton confident of Tarkowski deal​

EVERTON are increasingly confident they will win the race for out of contract James Tarkowski.

The England defender is one of the most sought after signings of the summer, with his status as a free agent on July 1 seeing a host of clubs pushing for his signature.

But with the centre half forced to see out a less than lucrative four and a half year Burnley contract he signed in January 2018, he is now ready to cash in.

That appears to have cooled the interest somewhat of Aston Villa and West Ham, and he is leaning towards Everton with his roots now based firmly in the north west.

The Blues must sort out their finances to generate the funds to make transfer signings, but they will offload players previously on big contracts this summer, with the likes of Gylfi Sigurdsson, Cenk Tosun and Fabian Delph all departing at the end of their huge deals.

That will free up serious funds to give Tarkowski close to the money he is looking for, with the defender thought to be seeking in the region of £5m a year, or £100,000 a week.

Newcastle are also in the running and can match any offer Everton make, but Tarkowski is Manchester born, and bar one short spell with Brentford, has spent most of his career in the north west.

etc

As I said, devil in the detail which none of us are privy to.

We would all prefe4 younger players with room to develop, but we simply don’t have the money to go out and fill the squad full of them. Think last summers transfer budget. We’re in the same position.

Where there are competent older players available for free in positions where we need bodies, we have to be in for them. Keep the actual transfer budget (if any) for younger players. It’s the reality of the situation we’re in.

Like a stuck record here.

Again, appreciate there's a need for pragmatism but you can do that without kicking the can too far down the road.

No way should we be giving James Tarkowski a long term deal on mad money.

Status
Not open for further replies.