Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how does this work from a FFP or the PL profit and sustainability thing? We've been absolutely ruined on the FFP front because we literally don't get any sales for players we bought for £20m+, thought the wages was a big thing for the Premier League one, right? So we lost a ton of wages with our out of contract players and we're slightly better off, but we're considerably lower down the table so our wages to turnover is worse?
Not just wages...

GS- 9M amortisation, 6M wages
Tosun-5M / 4M
Delph 3M / 5M

Thats 30M costs saved... Tarkowski will cost around 4M/ year. But clearly it gives us the space to sell Keane/Holgate at a profit, giving us more room to spend elsewhere (centre mid) without weakening the side/squad, and depending how you rate Tarkowski strengthening it.

Well - Michael Keane is considered the better defender at Burnley. I spoke to a Burnley fan not so long ago who was saying Michael Keane would be the first name on their team sheet.

They're completely setup for a low block/deep defence - that really does help some centre halfs, probably why we lashed £25-30m on Michael Keane when he was playing every minute for them.
I don't find asking fans of the selling club to be of great utility tbh. There's a huge element of bitterness that often means you get a completely one eyed perspective on the player. I remember several Villa fans telling us that Gueye was crap and look what happened there.

Tarkowski was solid for Burnley and anyone watching Everton last season knows that he absolutely strolls into our backline. I'm happy with it.

Maybe. But Keane did come through Man Utd's setup and had a few stints in the Championship with promotion chasing teams.

We've no clue if Tarkowski can play in a more expansive defence - or any defence that isn't 'Sean Dyched'.
He came through United youth, and only made 2 apps for their senior team.

He had a few stints in championship. 8 apps for Derby. 13 for Blackburn (with 8 of them at right back) and 27 for Leicester. Leicester would be the only time he could really be judged on and since then has shown he can't play another way.

Tarkowski made 160+ appearances for Oldham and brentford before Burnley. I don't know how they played then, but would be interesting to see what their views on him are and whether he can only play Dycheball.

He is a sensible signing. We now likely sell Mina who is just a few years younger but injury prone and with contract ending next summer. We don't really improve the team much with this move, but we can surely use the extra money to buy a good CM.

I don't find asking fans of the selling club to be of great utility tbh. There's a huge element of bitterness that often means you get a completely one eyed perspective on the player. I remember several Villa fans telling us that Gueye was crap and look what happened there.

Tarkowski was solid for Burnley and anyone watching Everton last season knows that he absolutely strolls into our backline. I'm happy with it.

Well, No reason for bitterness - it was when Burnley were in the Prem/fighting relegation with us and he said Keane was the better defender. It figures, as others have said - Keane kept Tarkowski out the team there.

We'll soon see.

Someone said Lampard was trying to sign him for Chelsea so he obviously rates him.

Well, No reason for bitterness - it was when Burnley were in the Prem/fighting relegation with us and he said Keane was the better defender. It figures, as others have said - Keane kept Tarkowski out the team there.

We'll soon see.

Someone said Lampard was trying to sign him for Chelsea so he obviously rates him.
And that's fair enough. You're just replying on the integrity of one Burnley fan and it's just not useful IMO.

Also, players develop at different stages and it may just be that JT is now a better defender than MK. Certainly has more aggression than Keane and Holgate and that puts him ahead straight away.

Well moyes wanted him a few years ago. Thats enough for me.

However I am VERY concerned about another Ashley Williams scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.