Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, if Lampard really wants him and thinks he gives us what we need then it's a good signing.

Personally I don't really go in for all this 'clearly comes in and makes us a million times better' stuff that people have decided to peddle because on paper it's just blatantly untrue. On grass it might be different though, so i'm happy enough with it. I would really like other signings to be of a different profile though, if we follow this up with Winks etc I'll start to worry.
Been thinking exactly the same this morning. I know it’s just talk but it would be so in line with the last 5 years of recruitment. Just when we have the chance to move on some of our overpaid average as we replace it with more of the same.

I don’t know who has said that but I’d certainly not agree with it, I’ve called for them all to be on the scrap heap this summer

We’ve got a lot of young defenders in Godfrey Holgate Branthwaite, but all three look like they need a defensive leader next to them. I don’t think we could have justified spending big money on a player in his prime or older (we couldn’t attract the good ones, and the ones we could attract why would we pay big money) so we’d be left looking at buying a young prospect for big money who we’d be banking on leading the defence. Potentially we could have done this but would leave a back line with Patterson Mykolenko and Godfrey extremely young and inexperienced.

I get where you are coming from but I’m hoping this is more of a Jonny Evans at Leicester move rather than Ashley Williams. If it helps us free up funds for another position (e.g defensive midfielder) then it might look like a decent move on the overall chessboard. Would be encouraging to see Keane moved on now though.
No don't get me wrong here, I'm happy enough with Tarkowski. My point was just that signing players of that age and experience has to be the exception not the rule. Signing a load more average PL players in their mid to late 20s will not help us get out of the mess we're in.

As an aside, we need to reassess what we class as 'young'. Holgate will turn 26 about half a dozen games into the new season and has 7 seasons of first team football behind him, he's hardly a precocious young talent. If he needs his hand holding then it's because he's not good enough, not because he's young.

Seeing as he's out of contract, it's pretty unlikely.
Not necessarily. Everton could agree to make him an offer on personal terms well in excess of what others are offering and Burnley a backhander. It makes everything go away...and with the PL's connivance probably.

I'm not saying that's what is defo happening; I'm saying it would be naive in the extreme not to consider it as a possibility.

Been thinking exactly the same this morning. I know it’s just talk but it would be so in line with the last 5 years of recruitment. Just when we have the chance to move on some of our overpaid average as we replace it with more of the same.

It’s easy to say in hindsight but we’ve literally tried every profile of player recently

Prospects from championship: DCL Holgate Lookman Godfrey

Players not regulars at CL clubs: Digne Gomes Mina James Kean Dele Allan

Players from relegated/ lower prem teams: Keane Pickford Gueye Richarlison Doucoure

Experienced prem players: Williams Schneiderlin Siggurdson Delph Rondon Townsend Iwobi

Unknown non-PL prospects: Gbamin Mykolenko Patterson Vlasic

We’ve literally shopped in all the different markets and not many of them have worked so I’d say it’s something different than the player profile we need to be looking at.

For me it’s more about their application. No one can say that Digne Mina Gomes James Kean Allan Iwobi Lookman didn’t/don’t have ability, but at times their application for Everton was terrible.

If Tarkowski is available for most games each season and is giving his everything when out on the pitch then he’s probably far more useful than Mina was for us. If he’s come here to see out his career and have a holiday with the lads then it’ll be another terrible signing. We won’t know until later though.

He's a free agent. It has ZERO to do with Burnley where he goes.
He's a free agent who comes to us with the biggest incentive to do so. The two things dont cancel each other out: Tarkowksi's choice to come here and Burnley getting some *compensation*.

Status
Not open for further replies.