2021/22 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently he's like Bowen without the end product. His control is decent and he's pacy, which we certainly need, but his delivery and finishing are pretty poor. He's certainly worth another season, but for me it's make or break for him this season.
Bwahahaha!

What planet are you on.

He had a great season and has become one of our most important players. There is no make or break, he has firmly made it!

Bwahahaha!

What planet are you on.

He had a great season and has become one of our most important players. There is no make or break, he has firmly made it!
How many goals did he score? How many assists? Pretty much our entire squad other than Pickford and Richarlison ( and Gray for the first 10 games) were appalling last season. Gordon tried hard and ran around a lot and, like I said, he has pace which we sadly lack. But his end product needs to improve.

Bwahahaha!

What planet are you on.

Take them blue tinted glasses off he's by no means made it as the guy stated his end product is poor and 4 goals and 2 assists is hardly making it. He did have a good season tho albeit in a poor team and I love what I seen from him work rate, willingness to run but got some much more to add to his game until he can say he's made it.

How many goals did he score? How many assists? Pretty much our entire squad other than Pickford and Richarlison ( and Gray for the first 10 games) were appalling last season. Gordon tried hard and ran around a lot and, like I said, he has pace which we sadly lack. But his end product needs to improve.
He is 21. Get that in your head before throwing him under the bus.

If the under performers had tried as hard as him, we would never have been in the relegation scrap.

To be talking about make or break when there were so many far worse players than him in the team is ridiculous. There are a number like yourself who just don’t understand player development and want to crush all our younger players without giving them a chance.

I am absolutely certain he will be a big part of our team next season and for years to come.

He is 21. Get that in your head before throwing him under the bus.

If the under performers had tried as hard as him, we would never have been in the relegation scrap.

To be talking about make or break when there were so many far worse players than him in the team is ridiculous. There are a number like yourself who just don’t understand player development and want to crush all our younger players without giving them a chance.

I am absolutely certain he will be a big part of our team next season and for years to come.
I do understand player development. However the Premier League is not the place to develop. In "normal" times we would loan Gordon to a Championship club because we'd have a first team player aged between 25 and 30 who was scoring 5-10 goals a season and assisting the same number. However, due to our awful transfer dealings we have had to chuck Gordon in too early, which is unfair on him.

I do understand player development. However the Premier League is not the place to develop. In "normal" times we would loan Gordon to a Championship club because we'd have a first team player aged between 25 and 30 who was scoring 5-10 goals a season and assisting the same number. However, due to our awful transfer dealings we have had to chuck Gordon in too early, which is unfair on him.
Yes he will need to move to another level in terms of end product next season. Especially with Richie leaving. However, I would say there is a good chance of this happening

Yes he will need to move to another level in terms of end product next season. Especially with Richie leaving. However, I would say there is a good chance of this happening
I would love that to happen. He's a local lad, which I think is part of the reason why he gets anxious when he's shooting. Hopefully experience will teach him to relax a bit more, but we shall see.

….the thing that sets him out for me is how he can collect a ball on the spin and run away from players at this level. He can leave defenders for dead with quality & then acceleration. That’s a very special skill set.

Many of the situations he finds himself in are of his own doing but you are dead right, he needs to exploit those opportunities. He’s not a proper goal threat, which is surprising because he strikes a ball so well. the opposition fans need to fear him. If he can do that then the big boys will be circling.

Hes won our player of the season. We are not going to willingly sell him.

4 league goals and 2 assists last season.

Need to have that up at 10+ combined next season and keep improving and increasing year on year.

One thing thats not been particularly highlighted is that he came into the squad as a left sided player. I remember @Eggs you were saying you were waiting for him to...

"Cut inside and hit a curly wurly into the top corner".

He's someone I dont think would be interested to move to a bigger club in the immediate future. We just need to keep building forwards and upwards with him.

If Richarlison does leave, would we see Gordon on the left flank and can we look forward to the "curly wurly".

Or will he stay on the right?

4 league goals and 2 assists last season.

Need to have that up at 10+ combined next season and keep improving and increasing year on year.

One thing thats not been particularly highlighted is that he came into the squad as a left sided player. I remember @Eggs you were saying you were waiting for him to...

"Cut inside and hit a curly wurly into the top corner".

He's someone I dont think would be interested to move to a bigger club in the immediate future. We just need to keep building forwards and upwards with him.

If Richarlison does leave, would we see Gordon on the left flank and can we look forward to the "curly wurly".

Or will he stay on the right?

…the reason I repeatedly mentioned his ‘curly wurly’ was because it was his stock goal at U23 level. He was a bit like Coutinho, regularly cutting in from the left and curling them into the top corner.

Very surprised we haven’t seen it but as you say, he often plays on the right. I agree on the 10 goal target for next season (I posted similar myself), he has to be more clinical to reach the next level in his game. Hopefully the situation next season allows him to be more relaxed.

…the reason I repeatedly mentioned his ‘curly wurly’ was because it was his stock goal at U23 level. He was a bit like Coutinho, regularly cutting in from the left and curling them into the top corner.

Very surprised we haven’t seen it but as you say, he often plays on the right. I agree on the 10 goal target for next season (I posted similar myself), he has to be more clinical to reach the next level in his game. Hopefully the situation next season allows him to be more relaxed.

I'd be more generous and say combined goals+assists at 10.

For comparison Gray got 5 goals and 4 assists.

If you understand player development, why are you saying that it is a make or break season for a 21 year old who has just had his breakout season. Madness.

I've said it before and I've seen nothing to make me change my opinion, although Gordon is far from the finished article, his great first touch and his truly amazing acceleration from a standing start over those all important first 10 yards, give him every chance of being a very very good player. The only question is,will his decision making and end product improve? If they do, then he may well go to the very top, if they don't, he will still be a useful premier league player

I would love that to happen. He's a local lad, which I think is part of the reason why he gets anxious when he's shooting. Hopefully experience will teach him to relax a bit more, but we shall see.

Even the great CR7 struggled with his end product early on. That being said I would like another corner taker

Status
Not open for further replies.