Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've tried every possible type of manager, that's why I think we are in different territory now. One of the greatest of all time could only get us to 10th. If fans vent their frustrations by trying to get Lampard sacked rather than turning on the hierarchy, then I think they are seriously misguided. That's why I expect Lampard to get time this year, when there are inevitably difficult periods.
The Ancelotti thing means nothing to me. He isn't one of the greatest of all time at doing what we needed him to do so his inability to do it isn't necessarily any reflection on the chances of somebody else doing it. He seems like a great fella and if we'd brought him in at a time like when we brought Koeman in then maybe he could have done well here, but he just wasn't ever the right man to build a team and take us from the bottom half to where we wanted to be. His short termism has contributed to where we are now too, he's not exempt from blame.

How much time Lampard is given will - as always - be dictated by how well things appear to be going and what reasonable expectations are perceived to be. For me, if we have this squad all season then a struggle against relegation is likely and so I won't be calling him out if that's what happens. If we spend £60-70m then my expectations will be higher. If we keep losing 5-0 and the players don't show fight or look like they know what system they're playing etc then support will be in short supply. That's normal, it's a results business at the end of the day and you can't just blindly go on supporting someone who isn't showing any signs of deserving it.

To be clear, I really like Lampard and I'm genuinely hopeful that he's the right fit to at least begin the process of getting things right here. I'm just pointing out that if we're bottom after 10 games and you don't think fans should be questioning him then it's not other people who are deluded.

Every team has its excuses for underperforming.

I think you're in for a shock if you don't expect this squad to struggle again. It's more or less garbage from front to back.

Only it's actually not mate.

Pickford is a quality keeper, DCL a very very good forward, Tarkowski again is a very good cb, Mykolenko is a good lb, Gordon again a very good and improving player.

Alongside a good cb (Mina and Tark) the other cbs all look actually decent.

Patterson isn't garbage, he's just a young player.

The likes of Gray, Iwobi, Dele arent garbage they are just squad players for a mid table type side.

Basically the midfield is Garbage

No mate, only a doom sayer would think like that. We were up against it from the off no DCL, RAF, VAR,refs,every injury imaginable,CB pairings from hell, Rondon upfront, etc
Based on the above, we are already better 0ff than last season
We’ve also lost our top scorer from last season and best outfield player, like.

I don’t think it makes someone a “doom sayer” to have concerns about the current state of the squad going into the season coming off the back of the season we’ve just had.

Feel free to stick your head in the sand if you want like.

The Ancelotti thing means nothing to me. He isn't one of the greatest of all time at doing what we needed him to do so his inability to do it isn't necessarily any reflection on the chances of somebody else doing it. He seems like a great fella and if we'd brought him in at a time like when we brought Koeman in then maybe he could have done well here, but he just wasn't ever the right man to build a team and take us from the bottom half to where we wanted to be. His short termism has contributed to where we are now too, he's not exempt from blame.

How much time Lampard is given will - as always - be dictated by how well things appear to be going and what reasonable expectations are perceived to be. For me, if we have this squad all season then a struggle against relegation is likely and so I won't be calling him out if that's what happens. If we spend £60-70m then my expectations will be higher. If we keep losing 5-0 and the players don't show fight or look like they know what system they're playing etc then support will be in short supply. That's normal, it's a results business at the end of the day and you can't just blindly go on supporting someone who isn't showing any signs of deserving it.

To be clear, I really like Lampard and I'm genuinely hopeful that he's the right fit to at least begin the process of getting things right here. I'm just pointing out that if we're bottom after 10 games and you don't think fans should be questioning him then it's not other people who are deluded.

If we are cut adrift at the bottom that's obviously a different story. But if we are around 16th/17th for long periods of the season with this squad then that is par for the course. This squad is a squad that could go down, there is no doubt about that.

What we need are realistic expectations. If we do not add quality to the squad, any finish that ends with survival is acceptable. That's where we are right now. I just don't want to see people demanding top half finishes, or fighting for europe, when we have a weaker squad the one that almost got relegated.

Patience isn't a word I like in football. It usually means tolerating failure. But we need lots of patience with the manager and his staff while he works with this abysmal squad and isn't given the backing he needs. On the other hand, we should be showing absolutely no patience with the board and owner who have created this mess. They don't deserve any more excuses.

Pickford is a quality keeper, DCL a very very good forward, Tarkowski again is a very good cb, Mykolenko is a good lb, Gordon again a very good and improving player.

The likes of Gray, Iwobi, Dele arent garbage they are just squad players for a mid table type side.

I think you over rate all of our players mate.... they're really not half as good as you think they are .... their ability to do the basics required of elite footballers overall as a squad is shocking

I think you over rate all of our players mate.... they're really not half as good as you think they are .... their ability to do the basics required of elite footballers overall as a squad is shocking

That's the thing for me mate, 'as a squad' and as it stands right now we literally don't have a midfield fit for purpose so it impacts every other part of the side. Overhaul that midfield and everything around them improves as a by product

THIS squad will struggle, but not as bad as last season for obvious reasons and it will be much improved between now and window close. Even Tarks will make a huge difference as will a fit DCL.
If it's basically just DCL in for Richarlison + Tarkowski at the back, I'm not sure where a big improvement is going to come from.

You must be watching different games to me.

we simply can't really afford it

So we'll have to go and get an attacker who can replace Richarlison and also provide that cover for DCL, which looking at three of the known four targets so far for that attacking spot, is exactly what we seem to be after.
Bring back everloan

Apparently Fab Romano says if Chelsea sign a couple more defenders they will let Levi Colwill go.

Also that us and Southampton are "very" interested in him.

Off his youtube channel...

Beeb report we are in "a race" with Forest to sign Cornetto. Odd as he has a fixed release fee and he's allegedly been available for weeks. A race to the bottom?

Apparently Fab Romano says if Chelsea sign a couple more defenders they will let Levi Colwill go.

Also that us and Southampton are "very" interested in him.

Off his youtube channel...
The thing with the young Chelsea players is you need to either buy them or loan with the option to buy.

No point getting them when they are at the point they are still 'learning' and letting Chelsea benefit whilst the learning curves done at your expense

Status
Not open for further replies.