2021/22 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's a prime example of how important mental toughness is in football.

When there's no pressure on him (like when he was here on loan) he looked a decent player. Could dribble out tight positions, had a range of passing and looked a cool customer on the ball when we first got him on loan.
No pressure on him when he was a loan signing, he was heading back to Barca if it all went wrong.

The second there's any pressure on him, a must win game, the side under pressure, he folds like a blag tenner.
The Palace game was a prime example. He looked like he didn't want the ball anywhere near him. His positioning was awful and when the ball did come to him he just hit it away seemingly blindly, as if he was scared of the responsibility of taking possession. Hauled off at half time, wouldn't be surprised if this is the game that finished him here in Lampards mind.

Seems a lovely fella off the pitch and it's sad to see it not work out for him, but he crumbled under the pressure of being a Barca player and he crumbled under the pressure of a struggling side. Seems like he just can't hack the pressure of this level of football.

He was decent under Silva. Very good in some games, the Anfield derby particularly that season when even Carragher was drooling about him in commentary. Just been absolutely nothing since then though, he’s been awful. Good move by Lampard getting him out hopefully.

Nah. He'd gone badly off the boil waaayyy before the injury. This is one of those false narratives that ends up becoming 'fact' about a player. Truth is, he only looked decent because he was next to Gana - a player that could genuinely do the work of 2 players. There are very few footballers out there with Gana's work-rate and even then, how many goals and assists did Gomes contribute??
Stay on the narrative.

This correct analysis is tiresome.

He was prime Maradona before his injury.

Some short memories on here

He was excellent on loan - and then there was interest from Tottenham to sign him, and Evertonians were fuming at the possibility of us missing out on us signing us permanently

He's been crap ever since the injury - but to write him off as 'a crap player' is revisionism on a par with David Moyes being a bad manager for us

I want him out of the club as much as anybody - but the world (and especially the Everton World) isn't as black and white as brilliant/terrible
He is the only Everton player with any technical ability. His problem: weak, slow, mentally (i dont give a f...)

I think he's a prime example of how important mental toughness is in football.

When there's no pressure on him (like when he was here on loan) he looked a decent player. Could dribble out tight positions, had a range of passing and looked a cool customer on the ball when we first got him on loan.
No pressure on him when he was a loan signing, he was heading back to Barca if it all went wrong.

The second there's any pressure on him, a must win game, the side under pressure, he folds like a blag tenner.
The Palace game was a prime example. He looked like he didn't want the ball anywhere near him. His positioning was awful and when the ball did come to him he just hit it away seemingly blindly, as if he was scared of the responsibility of taking possession. Hauled off at half time, wouldn't be surprised if this is the game that finished him here in Lampards mind.

Seems a lovely fella off the pitch and it's sad to see it not work out for him, but he crumbled under the pressure of being a Barca player and he crumbled under the pressure of a struggling side. Seems like he just can't hack the pressure of this level of football.
I think this is fair.

A talented player but without the mental toughness needed for the premiership.

I also think he is a player better suited to a league which is played at a less hectic pace.

A consideration that many fans do not take into consideration when mentioning players we should sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.