• Yes

Votes: 834 79.7%
  • No

Votes: 212 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because previous minutes for young players are an indication of future minutes?

Purchasing new young players for now? Such as Patterson Mykolenko McNeil Vinagre?

Gbamin was 23 when we signed him, Besic 21, Iwobi was 23 as well and he’s only made par such as it is at 26 and overall isn’t a 32 mill pound player.

It’s important not to be dogmatic on age either signing young players or older players, both can be precious resources wasted. Most of the time it comes down to quality.

Well it is fine.

Signing McNeil, Myko, Patterson, Dele, Gray, Vinagre is fine.

Same as signing Rondon, Townsend is fine, as long as they dont make up the bulk of your transfers and cost a lot.

We have plenty of players at the "right age".
We just don't. The good news is the younger ones seem to be good enough to keep around for a bit yet. Which is why I'd try to sign more of them.

I think that is incredibly harsh on someone who constantly was the hub of the team in midfield. He wasn't Luka Modric or anything but his ability to move the ball forward was very solid and combined with being genuinely 1B to Kante's 1A for ball winning meant he was pretty damn good. Again it got him a move to PSG who don't really have anything but world class or bordering world class players.

There is a blind spot for ball progression around here though, it is why Iwobi hasn't caught on for years tbh. It isn't always pretty when it is effective.
And I think that's an incredibly flattering way of saying that he got a game for Everton.

Credit to him for getting a big move, but wasn't it motivated by PSG only being able to spend £30m due to FFP restrictions? It's not exactly Gravesen to Real, but as I said earlier, I only really catch them live in the Champions League latter stages, and he generally looked out of his depth or was left out altogether. It's also quite a stretch to say that they only sign players in and around the world-class bracket.

As for Iwobi, I'd say the reason he didn't catch on here was because he was hooked in virtually every game he started for the first two and a half years. Still, if we don't sign a midfielder with a decent passing range, I'd pick him alongside Gana, since it was his ability to carry the ball out of defence that made the back-seven work at the tail-end of last season.

Lbgqtcqp won’t be happy here I tell you right now
giphy.gif

The point was to look at it as a whole and not cherry pick "well we signed McNeil, Mykolenko and Patterson so it is fine."

I get we have signed some and that is fine but we aren't moving anywhere overall.

I’m not cherry picking players, you were saying that we don’t have enough young players in the squad and we’re trending in the wrong direction. I pointed out the young players you’ve ignored who could play a part in the squad in the future and also some of the recent signings who are of a decent age. Yes you can throw in some of the older players we’ve signed but which group is going to play more often over the next few seasons?

Rondon Townsend Begovic Lonergan Tarkowski

Or Mykolenko Patterson McNeill Vinagre Gray Dele?

An average age of 27 is actually decent, our problem once again isn’t the age of the players we have, it’s the fact that a lot of them aren’t very good and we have issues with the fitness of these players and their application over the course of a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.