• Yes

Votes: 834 79.7%
  • No

Votes: 212 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I literally have no idea. But it's ludicrous how people campaign for freedom of speech but only if you say things they agree with. Immediately people think he's homophobic, has anyone even asked him why? Who even cares? Seriously.
Free speech is only in relation to Government control. Being vocally homophobic is not an expression of free speech, it is targetted derision of a minority subsection of society likely born out of religious dogma or plain ignorance, who knows really? His reasons why, as you asked, are his own, and he is more than welcome to keep them to himself.
If he comes to play footy and not be a bigotted bollocks then great, if he comes spouting derogatory nonsense then I'd prefer we didn't bring him back tbh.
Having said that, being told he must wear a rainbow jersey in support of LGBTQ despite not supporting the cause is a bit much unless he has signed a clause saying he will wear whatever the club asks him to as a representative of the club and the causes the club supports. Footballers give up a lot of personal freedom in order to be professional, but they are very well rewarded for their efforts at the very top.

Free speech is only in relation to Government control. Being vocally homophobic is not an expression of free speech, it is targetted derision of a minority subsection of society likely born out of religious dogma or plain ignorance, who knows really? His reasons why, as you asked, are his own, and he is more than welcome to keep them to himself.
If he comes to play footy and not be a bigotted bollocks then great, if he comes spouting derogatory nonsense then I'd prefer we didn't bring him back tbh.
Having said that, being told he must wear a rainbow jersey in support of LGBTQ despite not supporting the cause is a bit much unless he has signed a clause saying he will wear whatever the club asks him to as a representative of the club and the causes the club supports. Footballers give up a lot of personal freedom in order to be professional, but they are very well rewarded for their efforts at the very top.
Reasonable IMO

I'm probably radically conservative relative to this board, but frankly if Everton people decided that every player for the club needed to be outwardly supportive of the LGBT movement - it is what it is. I don't think there is anything wrong with the idea that community clubs should reflect the views of the community. Now practically, I think that's hard to do in modern football and especially given the prem draws from all over the world...

All that said, I hope he returns as he seems a great teammate and someone who can help EFC.

Spot on.

He hasn't been openly homophobic.

Some will argue that refusing to partake in what is nothing more than a warm and fuzzy gesture makes him a homophobe, that's on them.

If he starts preaching about it, that's when it becomes a problem.

Football has plenty of rapists, women beaters and alleged noncing.... But my god, don't refuse your rainbow shirt whatever you do.

Don't want the homophobe anywhere near the club.
Sod putting our desperation for signings ahead of our strong principles. Other clubs do that. Not Everton.
B7F3C221-9033-47A5-BD17-0F5ABFF3DB1F.jpeg

I literally have no idea. But it's ludicrous how people campaign for freedom of speech but only if you say things they agree with. Immediately people think he's homophobic, has anyone even asked him why? Who even cares? Seriously.

I care. Seriously.

He decided to adopt a course of action which puts him in the camp of those who believe one minority is of less worth than the rest of society. I am not of less worth than anyone else.

That's a very limited way to look at free speech there. So I have no 'free speech' when it comes to, say, private companies polluting the environment, alternative lifestyles such as polygamy, or the pros and cons of capital punishment?

I agree with some of the rest of your post. In this instance Gueye is not the problem. The problem is authorities insisting footballers take a political stance.

Supporting LGBT+ isn't a political stance.

Gay people don't wake up one morning and think "you know what, today I'll become a member of the LGBT party."
Since when did we as a club or football in general start selecting, buying / refusing to buy players based on perceived moral standpoints.

It has never been the case and even if it had been that went out the window when the PL allowed the Newcastle take over.

Supporting LGBT+ isn't a political stance.

Gay people don't wake up one morning and think "you know what, today I'll become a member of the LGBT party."
Yes, yes it is. Almost every decision we makes as a society is a political decision. Our decision on whether or not to allow gay marriage, gay adoption and the like. These are political choices. We have now reached a stage where footballers are NOT allowed free speech. I'm not happy with that. However, what is absolutely flabbergasting to me (and it should be to any Englishman) is that footballers are now not allowed the right to keep their privately held views private.

The 'rainbow numbers' in France were to support the International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia - this is particularly important. Gueye doesn't have to agree with homosexuality due to his religious beliefs, I have no issue with that. People are entitled to opinion regardless of if I believe it is wrong or right. However, if he believes (correctly) that he should be able to practice his religion without persecution, he should also extend that to those who are gay, trans, catholic, jewish...

By refusing to stand against homophobia, he empowers those who prejudice or act violently towards LGBTQ+ community. Actions often speak louder thAn words. You only have to see the characters that have come out in support of him and some of their previous quotes/actions on the same subject.

Also, can we stop perpetuating the myth that Islam has a long history of being 'homophobic'. It isn't true. Homosexuality was decriminalised across the majority of the Middle East in the 19th century and Caliph Amin of Baghdad had a male lover. There are also many practicing muslims across the world who still identify as LGBTQ+. To excuse this as a purely religious matter and say its okay because muslims are anti-LGBTQ+ in some respects denies them their identity.

Furthermore, football clubs have a very important role in defining society. It is absolutely fine to expect a higher standard of morals from our club and our players. For them to reflect our values and fan base. You can't criticise the ownership of Newcastle and then turn a blind eye to potential issues in our own back yard.

Gana Gueye can expect the full support of our fan base when he pulls on the blue shirt. Likewise our fan base should expect the full support of Gueye while he pulls on a blue shirt. This includes our fans who identify as LGBTQ+ - as previously said, he might not agree with their sexuality but he should 100% support their right to express it without persecution.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.