• Yes

Votes: 834 79.7%
  • No

Votes: 212 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The 'rainbow numbers' in France were to support the International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia - this is particularly important. Gueye doesn't have to agree with homosexuality due to his religious beliefs, I have no issue with that. People are entitled to opinion regardless of if I believe it is wrong or right. However, if he believes (correctly) that he should be able to practice his religion without persecution, he should also extend that to those who are gay, trans, catholic, jewish...

By refusing to stand against homophobia, he empowers those who prejudice or act violently towards LGBTQ+ community. Actions often speak louder thAn words. You only have to see the characters that have come out in support of him and some of their previous quotes/actions on the same subject.

Also, can we stop perpetuating the myth that Islam has a long history of being 'homophobic'. It isn't true. Homosexuality was decriminalised across the majority of the Middle East in the 19th century and Caliph Amin of Baghdad had a male lover. There are also many practicing muslims across the world who still identify as LGBTQ+. To excuse this as a purely religious matter and say its okay because muslims are anti-LGBTQ+ in some respects denies them their identity.

Furthermore, football clubs have a very important role in defining society. It is absolutely fine to expect a higher standard of morals from our club and our players. For them to reflect our values and fan base. You can't criticise the ownership of Newcastle and then turn a blind eye to potential issues in our own back yard.

Gana Gueye can expect the full support of our fan base when he pulls on the blue shirt. Likewise our fan base should expect the full support of Gueye while he pulls on a blue shirt. This includes our fans who identify as LGBTQ+ - as previously said, he might not agree with their sexuality but he should 100% support their right to express it without persecution.
Why should football in general , Everton in particular and individual players be subjected to a higher moral code than other organisations and their employees?

Freedom of speech means you can speak freely without fear of being arrested so long as you're not inciting hatred against another group

Freedom of speech does not make your speech free of consequence nor does it entitle you to a platform

If the club decides that the negative PR attached with hiring Gana offsets the positives he would provide on the pitch then they are perfectly entitled not to employ him. That has nothing to do with his right to free speech being impugned. He's free to not support an LGBT campaign if he doesn't believe in it, but he also then has to accept the consequences that come with this view

Free speech doesn't just mean you can say whatever you like and everyone has to just shrug and let you. It protects you from the state. That's all

Freedom of speech means you can speak freely without fear of being arrested so long as you're not inciting hatred against another group

Freedom of speech does not make your speech free of consequence nor does it entitle you to a platform

If the club decides that the negative PR attached with hiring Gana offsets the positives he would provide on the pitch then they are perfectly entitled not to employ him. That has nothing to do with his right to free speech being impugned. He's free to not support an LGBT campaign if he doesn't believe in it, but he also then has to accept the consequences that come with this view

Free speech doesn't just mean you can say whatever you like and everyone has to just shrug and let you. It protects you from the state. That's all
Must have missed it

Has he said something ?

Why should football in general , Everton in particular and individual players be subjected to a higher moral code than other organisations and their employees?
It a nice thing to do, giving education and support with a lot of things like racism, often being shouted from the stands. All over the world.

But I agree, why should he be called a homophobic, just because he didn't wear a rainbow training kit? He has the right to his religious and political beliefs. He doesn't force them on others or spout hatred.

Because the influence on society is greater. You average person the street isn't influenced by the decisions made by ASDA and their employees. Footballers are generously rewarded for that.

Also, I think if an organisation was holding an event to against homophobia and an employee refused to take part there would be repercussions. In most contracts there is a few lines on company ethics, reputation etc.

The Equality Act states that an employer is responsible for the behaviour of its employees.

Under the Equality Act 2010 harassment refers to "unwanted conduct which violates someone’s dignity or creates an intimidating, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment.

By refusing to condemn homophobia, I imagine there could be a case for that being conduct outlined above.

Must have missed it

Has he said something ?

The term "Freedom of speech" extends to both words and actions

If you want to discuss it further then there is the current affairs section of the forum

This thread is about Gana and football and I don't want the mods to warn me/us

I made that one post as I felt I could do it as a one off and still stay some way on topic. Further discussion would probably take us too far in that direction and leave us open to moderator scrutiny, which I'd like to avoid

I'll leave it at that

I care. Seriously.

He decided to adopt a course of action which puts him in the camp of those who believe one minority is of less worth than the rest of society. I am not of less worth than anyone else.
So he should turn his back on his religion? Next we'll all have to suck each other off to prove we aren't homophobic.

The difference is, you or I could make the statement or take the action that Gueye has taken with little real consequence.

Gueye is in the public eye and had the decision thrust upon him. It doesn't change the moral position but the consequence is very different.

do you know how dangerous it is to take the stance that you appear to be advocating. have you seriously thought about what you`ve posted? in effect what you mean is ie. a religious zealot could say `if you don`t believe in the same God as me you will have to accept the consequences`- you are threatening someone

The term "Freedom of speech" extends to both words and actions

If you want to discuss it further then there is the current affairs section of the forum

This thread is about Gana and football and I don't want the mods to warn me/us

I made that one post as I felt I could do it as a one off and still stay some way on topic. Further discussion would probably take us too far in that direction and leave us open to moderator scrutiny, which I'd like to avoid

I'll leave it at that
Not for discussion for me , this is a transfer rumour thread.

Hope Gana signs today.

Nonsense.

Because the influence on society is greater. You average person the street isn't influenced by the decisions made by ASDA and their employees. Footballers are generously rewarded for that.

Also, I think if an organisation was holding an event to against homophobia and an employee refused to take part there would be repercussions. In most contracts there is a few lines on company ethics, reputation etc.

The Equality Act states that an employer is responsible for the behaviour of its employees.

Under the Equality Act 2010 harassment refers to "unwanted conduct which violates someone’s dignity or creates an intimidating, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment.

By refusing to condemn homophobia, I imagine there could be a case for that being conduct outlined above.
As a lawyer I can tell you that your interpretation of the law is wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back