• Yes

Votes: 834 79.7%
  • No

Votes: 212 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
He refused to play because there was a rainbow on his shirt. Twice. The rainbow was there as part of an anti homophobia campaign. If you don’t support a message against homophobia then what else can one conclude. He wasn’t asked to do anything different or special, make a speech attend a gay wedding or anything other than putting on his uniform only today the numbers are a rainbow colour.

I just don’t know how you come up with any other conclusion than he’s homophobic.
If m A B = m B C (= A C)

2 points on a grid does not make a line.

Why not just give the poor guy a scarlet letter and call it a day?

Nope. No one needs to be respected for their beliefs if their beliefs mean marginalizing and refusing to show support for a group of people. We’re a community club and lgbt are part of that community. If you use your religious beliefs against other people l won’t just blindly support your beliefs. A racist is a racist and a homophobe is a homophobe I don’t care about your culture/religion - it’s not ok and he’s being rightly called out about it.

Sure everyone has rights, but when you use those rights to refuse to wear a rainbow as part of an anti homophobia campaign then we have the right to call you a homophobe. This wasn't associated with a specific group that some don't like it was just a stance against homophobia. He refused to play twice because of a rainbow, not really hard to see why people are calling him a homophobe is it?

If your work was honouring veterans and had a special uniform staff were to wear with a poppy or some other symbol honouring veterans on it and you refused to work that day because of it people would probably question you too.

He refused to play because there was a rainbow on his shirt. Twice. The rainbow was there as part of an anti homophobia campaign. If you don’t support a message against homophobia then what else can one conclude. He wasn’t asked to do anything different or special, make a speech attend a gay wedding or anything other than putting on his uniform only today the numbers are a rainbow colour.

I just don’t know how you come up with any other conclusion than he’s homophobic.

But don’t you see that him very publicly refuse to wear a shirt to stand against homophobia could hurt people. What does that do to a 13 year old massive fan of his who’s struggling with his sexuality? It’s a tiny gesture that is nothing for players to do that can do a lot of good. Refusing to wear it says something and can hurt.

Oh I don't care if he supports the "cause" that is being inclusive and showing acceptance to a group of the community that has often not found that in football. I'd just sooner not have him at the club if those are his beliefs.

I appreciate some don't see it as that big a deal and that's fair enough.

I would never put a tory banner in my window because I hate the tories. I'd have to have strong feelings against something to outright refuse to put it in my window for 2 hours. Thanks I think you helped me make my point.

And I see the rainbow numbers as more the club making a statement than the individual players. Refusing to wear it however does imo make a statement.

Reported and posting this comment in the hope that others read these views quoted.

It's not very often that someone makes me angry, disturbed or disgusted on this forum.

You make my skin crawl.

A reminder that the world contains people with extremely disturbing views.

Hey look I'm not trying to persecute the fella just saying id rather not have him and why I think what he did was homophobic. Other Muslims have taken part in rainbow campaigns.
Would you also sooner not have any Tory footballers at the club? or managers maybe?
I don't care what your political or religious beliefs are, if either of them stop you from joining the club in showing support to people who are part of the community then I'll have an issue.

I'm sure if he'd come out and actually said he doesn't like gay people, doesn't want to show support or inclusion to them then you'd probably agree. To me that's essentially what he said to refusing to play.

Reported and posting this comment in the hope that others read these views quoted.

It's not very often that someone makes me angry, disturbed or disgusted on this forum.

You make my skin crawl.

A reminder that the world contains people with extremely disturbing views.
Agreed, the lack of understanding of the fact that we're talking about a man who lives in a society with very different rules than ours, whose family can literally be put in danger by adopting the poster's views, is appalling.

Feel free to admire Enes Kanter. That sort of stand takes some courage. His family literally was put in danger when he took on Erdogan. It doesn't follow that we should demand that everyone make those same choices.

A guy I know is the son of one of the leaders of Solidarity. His father was told in the 1980s by Polish secret police that they could no longer guarantee his security, or that of his family. They fled to Canada. I don't think anything less of him, or his father, for making that decision.

It is not possible to engage with people like the poster in question. Their experiences and worldview are so narrow that they cannot comprehend that other people can be put in tough positions. They're no different than the worst ideologues on the other side of the political spectrum.

In five years on GOT, I have never, not once, used the ignore function. There have been times where I have been tempted, but I think that all of you are worthy of being heard, and that I impoverish myself with respect to growth and the human existence when I jam my fingers in my ears and refuse to hear the worst that you have to say of me, or one another.

I am finally using the ignore function now. The player valuation suggests that this person is here solely to push an agenda. I am willing to hear what @Death has to say in CA. I rarely agree with him, but it does happen. Nevertheless, I value him as a member of this community. He has earned his place.

I am not willing to hear this person.

Agreed, the lack of understanding of the fact that we're talking about a man who lives in a society with very different rules than ours, whose family can literally be put in danger by adopting the poster's views, is appalling.

Feel free to admire Enes Kanter. That sort of stand takes some courage. His family literally was put in danger when he took on Erdogan. It doesn't follow that we should demand that everyone make those same choices.

A guy I know is the son of one of the leaders of Solidarity. His father was told in the 1980s by Polish secret police that they could no longer guarantee his security, or that of his family. They fled to Canada. I don't think anything less of him, or his father, for making that decision.

It is not possible to engage with people like the poster in question. Their experiences and worldview are so narrow that they cannot comprehend that other people can be put in tough positions. They're no different than the worst ideologues on the other side of the political spectrum.

In five years on GOT, I have never, not once, used the ignore function. There have been times where I have been tempted, but I think that all of you are worthy of being heard, and that I impoverish myself with respect to growth and the human existence when I jam my fingers in my ears and refuse to hear the worst that you have to say of me, or one another.

I am finally using the ignore function now. The player valuation suggests that this person is here solely to push an agenda. I am willing to hear what @Death has to say in CA. I rarely agree with him, but it does happen. Nevertheless, I value him as a member of this community. He has earned his place.

I am not willing to hear this person.

Anyway...

...its a no for me on Gana due to the cost and age factors.

I'd much rather we went for someone like Camara. I believe @Tree13 posted that the overall cost of Camara may well be lower than Gana due to the wages and lower annual affect on P&S / FFP.

Even if it may cost a little more its always worth going for good players with huge potential as opposed to quality players on their way down.

Fast forward 2 seasons and we may be able to sell Camara for a profit while Gana may be off on a free.

Anyway...

...its a no for me on Gana due to the cost and age factors.

I'd much rather we went for someone like Camara. I believe @Tree13 posted that the overall cost of Camara may well be lower than Gana due to the wages and lower annual affect on P&S / FFP.

Even if it may cost a little more its always worth going for good players with huge potential as opposed to quality players on their way down.

Fast forward 2 seasons and we may be able to sell Camara for a profit while Gana may be off on a free.
I would certainly rather have Camara if given a forced choice. Not being privy to the club's finances, we might be able to make all three work and still plug the striker hole. I don't know. Certainly, having Onana and Camara learn from both Gueye and Lampard is everything you could possibly hope for in terms of development with possession and without.

Status
Not open for further replies.