Iffy start, but…

Status
Not open for further replies.
A penalty denies us a point against Chelsea.

Lack of a striker denies us a point today.

Add on playing a side that gets injured players in the first half.

Things will be fine.
There was a lot more than those two incidents that denies us in those games - the failure to set up in a solid formation that the players are comfortable with being one of them.

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

How on earth this club was hoping that DCL would be there for them for any part of this season is beyond me.

They failed to get a replacement in for Richarlsion and we've piad big time for it.

I dont think we've played terrible or anything like decent. We've just looked passive and waiting for the loss to happen.

That's more of the same from last season.

Two games into this season and I'm telling you now: already Forest is must win.

Dave they are all must win.

There was a lot more than those two incidents that denies us in those games - the failure to set up in a solid formation that the players are comfortable with being one of them.

We looked fine in. Fine that even when Davies came on, got booked, he still worked well in the set up.

The bottom line is that things breakdown all the time with the front 3. Gordon is awful with his back to goal, Gray needs space, McNeil is finding a place. But all 3 don't do the basics right.

We've defended corners, look comfortable in defence, Iwobi looks like a CM, Doucoure needs taking out (thought it was his fault for not getting back quick enough but he was injured), wing backs work well. We get the ball forward...there's just no spark, no focal point, no flow in that 3.

Everything else....I've seen enough in the last 2 games that says... we'll be fine. We just need that 10%

We looked fine in. Fine that even when Davies came on, got booked, he still worked well in the set up.

The bottom line is that things breakdown all the time with the front 3. Gordon is awful with his back to goal, Gray needs space, McNeil is finding a place. But all 3 don't do the basics right.

We've defended corners, look comfortable in defence, Iwobi looks like a CM, Doucoure needs taking out (thought it was his fault for not getting back quick enough but he was injured), wing backs work well. We get the ball forward...there's just no spark, no focal point, no flow in that 3.

Everything else....I've seen enough in the last 2 games that says... we'll be fine. We just need that 10%
Looking better at set pieces doesn't equate to looking comfortable in defence. They were ragged all over the shop and pulled out of place today.

Looking better at set pieces doesn't equate to looking comfortable in defence. They were ragged all over the shop and pulled out of place today.
Disagree, almost every time we looked to have players ‘pulled out of place’ they were covered immediately.
There was a moment first half where Holgate stepped up to make a great tackle but the ball broke and they played it in behind. The commentator had barely finished saying how we’d left space when Coady came and swept up.
With 3 at the back, one of the 3 has licence to step up and win the ball and I thought that worked really well all game.

I think we’ve looked really solid with a back 3 both games, including Holgate who’s actually looked a player again. The problem is having absolutely nothing up top.

Disagree, almost every time we looked to have players ‘pulled out of place’ they were covered immediately.
There was a moment first half where Holgate stepped up to make a great tackle but the ball broke and they played it in behind. The commentator had barely finished saying how we’d left space when Coady came and swept up.
With 3 at the back, one of the 3 has licence to step up and win the ball and I thought that worked really well all game.

I think we’ve looked really solid with a back 3 both games, including Holgate who’s actually looked a player again. The problem is having absolutely nothing up top.
When you get the opposition manager saying they targeted them as a weakness and it paid off for them you know it's not performed.

Just that Keystone Cops stunt that Holgate and Tarkowski performed for their second goal should be enough to dump that system in the bin.

When you get the opposition manager saying they targeted them as a weakness and it paid off for them you know it's not performed.

Just that Keystone Cops stunt that Holgate and Tarkowski performed for their second goal should be enough to dump that system in the bin.
The second goal was after we moved to 2 CBs and left space because we started attacking…

My point was the back 3 looked very solid in both games

Also please don’t tell me your quoting Gerard as a reason for anything ffs

When the opposition manager is Stevie Mee says anything you should just ignore it, they narrowly won against a team with no strikers and Gerrard is patting himself on the back and you want to listen to him ?

The second goal was after we moved to 2 CBs and left space because we started attacking…

My point was the back 3 looked very solid in both games

Also please don’t tell me your quoting Gerard as a reason for anything ffs
Fair enough mate. But I think we'll see a return to a tradional shape next week, and Tarkowski will be mightily relieved.

When the opposition manager is Stevie Mee says anything you should just ignore it, they narrowly won against a team with no strikers and Gerrard is patting himself on the back and you want to listen to him ?
I accept there's an element of a manager making a big claim to look like he's a master tactician - however I think he was right. He knew as a former m/f that you need quality in front of that back three and Everton dont have that.

He said that in his BBC MOTD interview so it should be picked up on and analysed by the pundits. Should be of interst to us if they do.

Didn't see that at all apart from when we lost possession for the goals or commited more forward. Buendia make them tick better 2nd half. But there was never a point where I thought we looked a mess in dealing with them.

If we got ragged about they didn't create anything clear cut put it that way bar some wing back crosses.

Status
Not open for further replies.