2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
The growing abuse the lad has been getting, I wouldn't blame him for getting off to Chelsea.

No doubt the same ones slaughtering him will be calling him a 'rat' if he left and boo him whenever he plays against us.

He can't be as bad as the social media 'experts' make out when a club who won the Champions League just over a year ago comes in for him.
He's certainly not a bad player, but just because a UCL winning team wants you doesn't make you a great player. This is the same club that has signed the likes of Baba Rahman, Kenedy, Barkley, Bats, Maziga, Bakayoko, and Drinkwater in recent years to name but a few.

Like the kid but we simply need goals - sad reality is we dont have the opportunity to see if Gordon loves up to his potential

There is a place for Iwobi at Everton, versatile, looking confident. Can see a pass and links well.

He won’t ever be a top class playmaker Ofcourse.

Imagine saying this two years ago.
Yeah 100%

I'm not having a go at Iwobi. He's been our best player now overall since Lampard came in probably, if you go on sheer improvement, and for me now he's currently the first name on the teamsheet when it comes to midfielders/attackers.

But he still does Iwobi things. If we don't sell Gordon, then I think Iwobi has to be pushed further up the pitch because we need him to be our playmaker. I think that might be enough to keep us out of danger but it won't be enough for much more, because that's his level.

That's my roundabout point with Gordon. We shouldn't rely on him so much, but we do, and ultimately the result is that we finished 16th. It's not Gordon's fault, but he's really not that creative and he's not a huge goal threat as much as he's very talented. I think he'll go on to become those things but he's a work in progress.

He's certainly not a bad player, but just because a UCL winning team wants you doesn't make you a great player. This is the same club that has signed the likes of Baba Rahman, Kenedy, Barkley, Bats, Maziga, Bakayoko, and Drinkwater in recent years to name but a few.
Let’s not forget they also sold Salah and De Bruyne, not like they are transfer geniuses or anything.

If reports of 40-50 mill are true then we gotta take it, I just can’t see him developing much more, he has no composure in front of goal, his set pieces are woeful & his positioning awareness awful, let’s be honest these are the fundamental basics you expect from a player in the premiership by 21, he has pace & some skill but so did Callum Mcmanaman (who he reminds me of) at Wigan, just can’t see why some supporters hype him up.

If we paid £25m of our money, and gave Chelsea Anthony Gordon, in exchange for Connor Gallagher, that would be a good deal for us

Yeah 100%

I'm not having a go at Iwobi. He's been our best player now overall since Lampard came in probably, if you go on sheer improvement, and for me now he's currently the first name on the teamsheet when it comes to midfielders/attackers.

But he still does Iwobi things. If we don't sell Gordon, then I think Iwobi has to be pushed further up the pitch because we need him to be our playmaker. I think that might be enough to keep us out of danger but it won't be enough for much more, because that's his level.

That's my roundabout point with Gordon. We shouldn't rely on him so much, but we do, and ultimately the result is that we finished 16th. It's not Gordon's fault, but he's really not that creative and he's not a huge goal threat as much as he's very talented. I think he'll go on to become those things but he's a work in progress.

It's a very fair point. The counter would be, if you get better players into the team, Gordon also improves. More assists, more chances made for him etc.

Any semi decent striker gets the tap in Rondon didnt get on the end of from his shot yesterday for example

But because its mid August, and our forward options are so painfully poor, it needs to be a massive offer to consider selling.

We need over 50m
Well not necessarily.

Us getting £50m in from a player that is pure profit might free us up to go and spend £80m on Terrier, Gibbs-White and Broja from a P&L perspective.

Or what if we got £45m and Broja on loan for example?

Status
Not open for further replies.