Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah so players can only be 2 things ?? Better than James & Richarlison.....or utter dross and not worth it.

The truth is in the middle.

It IS ok to have players that are 'just good players'.....why the need to go bi-polar on every single player!!!

Maybe, just maybe we need a squad of players that offer different things, and dont all cost a fortune.

5 subs.....5 subs means we need real options....not just kids that you will all booo when they dont turn Messi performances in every week.
Ok then mate, other than filling a seat on the bench, what do you honestly think Januzaj would offer?

Pace? Skill? Crossing? Goals? Great passing? Defensive contribution?

I freely admit to not having paid close attention to the boy, but my impression has always been he is an absolute nothing of a player. Genuinely happy to be corrected.

A less than comprehensive list of "no/low risk" transfers we've made in recent years:

Bernard
Sandro
Townsend
Gray
Rondon
I wouldn't take Januzaj on either, but it's unfair to compare Bernard, Townsend and Gray (all players who made contributions at bargain basement prices) to Sandro and Rondon. Not saying that those three were great deals either, but if you must shop in the pound store you could definitely do worse.

The general lesson is that the only reason to take on a player like Januzaj is if you need a 'player' now, plan to 'upgrade' next season and don't mind punting some wages later when the player is demoted to squad status.

Ok then mate, other than filling a seat on the bench, what do you honestly think Januzaj would offer?

I freely admit to not having paid close attention to the boy, but my impression has always been he is an absolute nothing of a player. Genuinely happy to be corrected.
Mate, he thinks Salomon Rondon "represents value". You might as well shout down a well.

No, the truth isn't in the middle. If you sell good players and replace them with worse players you get worse as a team. It's not rocket science. The job of a DoF is to identify players that can improve us. Yes, there is risk, yes, some players won't work out but it has been clear as day for some years now that we are on a downward trajectory and that the players that you claim "represent value" were poor signings that were always going to make us worse. This isn't hindsight, this forum is jam packed full of people pointing out that Rondon, Townsend and Gray were downgrades. It was obvious from the start.

We said Januzaj would be a direct replacement ??!!
He would be additional to anyting we bring in.

The job of the DOF is to construct a squad to compete within the rules of the game (5 subs), within the financial crireria / constraints put on him.

Representing value is EXACTLY what we need to do now...similar to the 'Money ball' stuff people talk about.

The grays, townsends and Rondons are NOT why we are in this mess at all.

Not crap at all.

He would represent value in the market.
No he wouldn't. He's terrible. People keep talking themselves into terrible players by spouting phrases like 'value' and 'back-up'. You can sign one player like that, and we already have - McNeil. If you keep signing players like that under the misapprehension that we will be much better as a result, you destroy the team, the finances and get considerably worse.

If people on here had their way, our forwards would end up being: Maupay, Adams, McNeil, Janusaj, a perma-crocked DCL, Gray and Rondon. Would struggle in the Championship that.

You asked.

Scored or was assisted a goal every 3.5 games. (same output as Pienaar - for stat comparison)
Played in Europe last season
Scored 5 goals in European competition last season.,
27 years old
Free transfer

If you offered these facts to someone, without telling them the players name, i think most people would say that this profile of player, is worth the very low risk.

Is that really that much of a shocking thought ??!

Surely he has to go now. Clear the club has no place for him, would be moody for him to hang around
What I'm guessing is it's basically a case of the club saying to him, "you can go if you're really not arsed but if you're staying you have to work hard", it's all a bit of a shame really. That being said if he's really not up for it then he should go, can't fault the club for trying with him because everyone knows there's a player in there, he's already shown it.

On pure business terms though we'll probably make profit off of him because literally any fee if it's a loan or transfer will be alright. He's also not even on giant wages or anything apparently so if he goes it's a good deal all around for us and realistically I suppose he doesn't even really need replacing as he's not made an impact at all here yet and generally has just been another body 90% of the time.

Anyone know when the Forest press conference is - Friday?

Be interesting to see how visibly annoyed Lampard is with the ongoing transfer debacle.

To play 3 (potentially winnable) premier league games without a striker on the payroll is gross misconduct and he‘d be right to call it out.
Lampard is not Mourinho or Benitez. I would be surprised if he went there at this point in the season.

You asked.

Scored or was involved in a goal ever 3.5 games. (same output as Pienaar - for stat comparison)
27 years old
Free transfer

If you offered these facts to someone, without telling them the players name, i think most people would say that this profile of player, is worth the very low risk.

The problem on this one is the wages. He might fit into the wage structure, but we're never getting value on that front and at his age he's going to demand (and ultimately get) a lengthy, premium wage Bosman contract.

Follow that logic we'd be sat here with winks as our starting cm instead of onana.
true but we had midfielders available to us to hold the fort whilst when we waited for Onana. We're going into the third game this season without a striker. Dom got injured nearly 3 weeks ago.

You asked.

Scored or was assisted a goal every 3.5 games. (same output as Pienaar - for stat comparison)
27 years old
Free transfer

5 goals total last season, across La Liga, Copa Del Rey and EL.

Last season's goal contributions were one in 5.3.

Started 17 games in the league. Was subbed off in 16.

Admittedly, the two seasons before last his numbers were better than I would have expected, but there was a pretty sharp drop-off last year.

Lampard is not Mourinho or Benitez. I would be surprised if he went there at this point in the season.

The problem on this one is the wages. He might fit into the wage structure, but we're never getting value on that front and at his age he's going to demand (and ultimately get) a lengthy, premium wage Bosman contract.

Now yes, that may be an issue.

But he was on £65k pw last season....and with being out of contract now, im guessing that he would come in on the same or maybe abit higher wages.

Its not like its an in demand player thats let his contract run out like Bernard did when we got him.

Yes its a risk as such, like all are.

I just look at his stats and profile of what he did do, and what we know...and think I can see why a DOF looking for value, would like him.

Im not saying he should be THE Gordon replacement and get the Number 10!!

Status
Not open for further replies.