2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course it is. But when it's a club like Chelsea bidding, then we'd be stupid not to ask.

They've already paid substantially more than that for a decent left back. This is a 21 year old English player and that carries a premium
I mean obviously you ask - which we clearly are, given that we've knocked back £45m - but £50m would be daylight robbery for him.

I did the sums in here yesterday - if you value him on goals per game to the same extent city paid for Grelish, he's worth £42.5m.

Grelish was a ridiculous sale - If we can make over 50m (or for me 45m + one of their players that we're actually interested in) would be a shrewd move.
If Grealish is worth £100m, then Gordon is worth £50m.

If Sancho is worth £60 odd million then Gordon is worth £50m.

If Pepe is worth £72m then Gordon is worth £50m

If Cucurella is worth £62m then Gordon is worth £50m.

The Sancho one is the most obvious comparison. Gordon outperformed him last year quite comfortably.

I feel a bit similar to this as the Rodwell deal when City came in for him. Preference is for him to stay, continue to develop and hopefully become a key player for us for many years to come, just as i feel about any of our youth team players coming through.

Alternatively for the money being mentioned i wouldn't be devasted if he left aslong as it meant we reinvested in a replacement for the here and now and another of similar potential to him.

Although i think by the time we sold Rodwell to City we could already see his development seemed to be stalling whereas i think Gordons ceiling is alot higher.

Theres risks either way. All we can do is hope that whatever decision is taken it pays off for us in the long run.

The Sancho one is the most obvious comparison. Gordon outperformed him last year quite comfortably.
Did he??
Sancho: 3 goals, 3 assists in 1900 minutes
Gordon: 4 goals, 2 assists in 2300 minutes

Hardly a huge difference... and when you consider 2 (iirc) of Gordon's goals basically went in off his arse from other players' shots....

Sancho was definitely underwhelming last season, but he was signed off the back of 3 seasons where he averaged almost a goal contribution a game.

Would you say there’s too many non scousers on this forum fine sir?
You twist comments so smoothly you could be my wife. lol

I don't differentiate between scouse Evertonians and non scouse Evertonians. They are all equal to me.;)

I'm just making an observation that only a very small minority on here think he should stay. So the question should be, are Evertonian,s too hard on our local talent who have come through the system.

No

In my post just now mate, I'm omitting the fact we could indeed do 'both' this season, but as the Gordon sale has supposedly been about raising money to fund transfers (with greater ability to offer more up front - for specifically this season only) I was trying to point out that we can raise 23m (without me quoting silly numbers but trying to keep it low end realistic in terms of deals).

That's 23m we can use to make payments THIS season not full spend - but just to be able to offer more attractive offers to clubs (again why Gordon leaving is being said by some to be necessary to allow a higher calibre of player to be targeted)

@BlueToff interested in your take on have i got this completely wrong
My take, and I believe I'm correct here but I'm not a financial expert so others feel free to jump in, is that Everton have funds available, they just cannot spend the majority of them because of the limits of P&L. The owner would, for his many faults, pump a bit more money into the squad if he could. But really we don't want him to do that, we want to be sustainable and that means player trading. If we'd have been able to sell Richarlison like we can if we sell Gordon, we would have been okay this summer, but as it is that Richarlison money had to be used to offset some of the losses made over the last three years, and not all of it could be reinvested into the squad, which is why we are where we are.

If we had a sale of Gordon, it doesn't matter how much money is up front (though obviously more cash into the coffers right now would be great), it's still £50m (if that's the deal) of pure profit that we can count in this financial year. Gordon has no 'book value' as he was not bought, he's a homegrown talent and so it's all profit. That is absolutely huge for P&L. You can then throw in the money we are getting for Kean, which will already be accounted for in the 22-23 books, but obviously unlike this Gordon deal, not all of it is profit.

I won't pretend to know if it'll definitely mean Everton are in the clear but we would certainly be in a much stronger financial position to be able to spend more right now, and as long as that reinvestment was made smartly - so not going overboard with up front payments like paying £20m up front for MGW or something daft, or a £45m fee for a player - then it'd be a very sensible move, and we'd not find it too hard to replace Gordon's actual output.

You can also factor in Dele, which is probably money we accounted for paying (we don't know that for sure, though, because maybe the club always planned to move him on before the 20 game mark?) in this financial year. So that £10m fee - again we don't know how that had to be paid but there was a suggestion it was a lump sum - would no longer be counted for and thus might free us up further too, plus you have big wages off the books.

Selling Gordon would definitely, 100%, open up more opportunities to spend not just now, but also in January and next summer, we'd look a lot healthier on the books. But, I can see the concern that it'd be leaving it too late this window to go and get that quality in. I will repeat, though, that as talented as Gordon is, it really shouldn't be hard to replace his output. The same can't be said for Richarlison, who delivered in end product (goal contributions, basically).

I think we'll do business regardless, which is why I want to see us push on with moves for a striker right now. If Gordon goes, then we think about that when it happens, but as of right now for me it does not change what the urgent need in the squad is, and that has to be addressed regardless of his future. That only changes IMO if we were to push Chelsea to loan us Broja as part of the Gordon deal.

Grelish has a goals per game figure of 0.15 something
Gordon has a goals per game figure of approx 0.06

Apply Gordons figure to the Grelish transfer fee and it works to be something like £42.5m - so if we get that amount then we've had them to the same extent villa did with City just looking at a goals per game ratio (including assists it would probably be far less)

I agree we should be looking for 50m and for me also a player we've an interest in that they deem surplus (so not Gallagher or Broja) - but if we get it we've (IMO) pulled their pants down more than Villa did to city.

Him and Alli became really good mates so
You twist comments so smoothly you could be my wife. lol

I don't differentiate between scouse Evertonians and non scouse Evertonians. They are all equal to me.;)

I'm just making an observation that only a very small minority on here think he should stay. So the question should be, are Evertonian,s too hard on our local talent who have come through the system.
Everton fans are definitely harder and turn easier on their own players, the last 10 years will prove that conclusively.
It’s just the modern era, where everyone wants Instant results.
Go back pre Premier League and youngsters being first team regulars was much rarer, and players were given more time to come through.
The old reserve system probably helped with that a lot compared to this U23’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.