2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't take that from the press conference at all

I thought Frank was very pragmatic, and if we lose Gordon, he wants a fee commensurate with if MGS just went for 44.5 million, Gordon is certainly above that given his PL experience. He's an important player, and if we lose him and are well compensated for it, then so be it
You of course maybe totally correct but even I, as one of the most positive, is struggling with stuff. But I should know better ?

Hmmm Lampard has very carefully avoided saying ‘he’s not for sale’ and has described him as an ‘asset’

Say your goodbyes folks
It’s funny how people listen to the same speech and reach different conclusions, listening to Capital on the way home their sports repot say Lampard said Gordon is not for sale ,I must have missed that part

For me he is the current Mr Everton. I get he isn't the finished article and there are bits of his game he needs to improve, but i feel he's the heart of the players.

It's not just what he others on the pitch, it's hope for the future, for something better.

I think I might crawl under a rock until Sep 1st. If he goes it will probably be the most gutted I've been since Dunc went to Newcastle.

He has to be better, your top attacker can't be producing what he has and that not be a problem

I'm just not sure why  he has to be better. Maybe the people turning down the money need him to be better. The level we saw last season may be his limit though, and if it is, that's not on him.

As it happens, I wonder if United or Newcastle make a truly ludicrous offer next week (especially United).

I'm just not sure why  he has to be better. Maybe the people turning down the money need him to be better. The level we saw last season may be his limit though, and if it is, that's not on him.

As it happens, I wonder if United or Newcastle make a truly ludicrous offer next week (especially United).
If the level we got last year is his limit and we passed down 45m my God we're in bad shape

If the level we got last year is his limit and we passed down 45m my God we're in bad shape

Yes probably.

I suppose my point is, we should take that out on the decision makers, not the player if that's how it turns out.

I still think he goes, but that just be some hopeful bias playing out.

Yes probably.

I suppose my point is, we should take that out on the decision makers, not the player if that's how it turns out.

I still think he goes, but that just be some hopeful bias playing out.
None of my criticisms are about Gordon personally, all things equal I'd love to have him stay here and develop but that's not how it's gone unfortunately and to me the overwhelmingly correct decision is to get the deal done.

That's not really fair on him though. Chelsea bidding £45m for him doesn't mean we should expect him to suddenly score 15 goals.

But he does need to be much, much better with his end product. We also need to not be so reliant on him, and start playing him in his best position and not with Gray, because playing them together gets the best out of neither. That's on Lampard.
Until you state, categorically, that we should accept £25m for Gordon then Big Igg ain't going to let this go. You know this is true.

None of my criticisms are about Gordon personally, all things equal I'd love to have him stay here and develop but that's not how it's gone unfortunately and to me the overwhelmingly correct decision is to get the deal done.

That's pretty much my position.

I see him as a higher talent and certainly not the worst winger in the league (christ hes not even the worst winger at our club) but there comes a price where you need to sell. We are almost at that point.

Inevitably there will be animosity towards Gordon, but really he is a success story and should spur on future actions.

To prospective academy signings, you can go from Preston reserves to Chelsea on a huge salary in 15 months. To existing academy players- look what can be achieved. For the club, we probably sacrificed a handful of games, then 1/3 of a season where he had low/minimal output, got 1/2 a season of reasonable output and are getting paid 50m in the process. It makes a tonne more sense than continual short term fixes of say James/Sigurdsson etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.