Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at our targets, i worry again for us over set pieces.
The height on the likes of Winks & Zinchenko is not going to make them prime componants defending set pieces.
We have small centre backs in Holgate & Godfrey, and we will probably be losing richarlison too.
So like last season that leaves us with one centre back & our centre forward (DCL) of any reputible talent in the air.
Now i know its not as easy as 'big players = defend set pieces better.
But leicester & ourselves had 2 of the smallest teams in the league last season and we were garbage at defending set pieces.
West Ham were one of the best and they have atleast 6 or 7 6ft 1+ players
Tarks replacing big yard dog should be like for like but Richy and Dom when fit are our two best defenders from set pieces, take them away and replace with Winks and Zinch and watch us become set piece monsters after Frank has had an extra 6 weeks on the training ground!

I don't really care one way or another about winks l. I care that other clubs seemingly get a TON more out of their deals than we do. I know we're not shopping in the same isle but Spurs got Bisousma for £25m whilst we're looking at Harry Winks for £5m less? The players are years apart for almost the same money. We just never seem to get value.

Bissouma had 12 months left

16th! Let's not denigrate the mighty achievement of being 2 places above the relegation zone!

But yes, we can sign from Lorient, Mallorca, Spezia or Hertha. Zulte Waregem, Heracles or Moreirense at a push. Scotland doesn't even have the decency to have a 16th-placed team, so we can't look north of the border.

Anything beyond that means we're getting washed up dossers or players simply not good enough to pull on the blue jersey.
That is some good fact checking!

It's why the recruitment has to focus on players with potential but who can contribute now also.

Different era - but look at the 84-88 side and how it was built, think people forget how young on average that side was - and how by and large unproven a lot of it was when it arrived (the proven parts all had huge ? Marks against them too like Gray and Reid)

Need to take a few risks on proven talent whose lost its way like Dele, veterans with the right attitude like Tarkowski, and supplement that with younger hungrier players (Gordon, Gallacher, KLP, Braithwaite etc)

Winks and Ali don’t have the mentality that Gray and Reid did. That is as clear as day. They don’t want to be here. We are just the ones stupid enough to give them their next contract

I have no idea.

But people are acting like it's definite we're paying £20m when nobody reliable has reported anything like that. They've just said that's what Spurs value him at.

Why would people have any faith in the club getting a good deal and making a good decision?

Until we stop being linked with bang average top 6 squad players like Winks, then I'm not going to believe anything has changed.

Why would people have any faith in the club getting a good deal and making a good decision?

Until we stop being linked with bang average top 6 squad players like Winks, then I'm not going to believe anything has changed.
The people running this side of things haven't been here before now so I'm giving them my backing.

I think Winks is decent. I don't think we should stump up anything for him when it comes to big £. That being said, by reliable accounts, the club agree there as they'd like a loan.

He's clearly the profile of player Lampard wants to add to midfield. I don't mind that, if we also add in a powerful, athletic player too. But we need rid of at least two midfielders so that means at least two midfielders have to come in.

The people running this side of things haven't been here before now so I'm giving them my backing.

I think Winks is decent. I don't think we should stump up anything for him when it comes to big £. That being said, by reliable accounts, the club agree there as they'd like a loan.

He's clearly the profile of player Lampard wants to add to midfield. I don't mind that, if we also add in a powerful, athletic player too. But we need rid of at least two midfielders so that means at least two midfielders have to come in.

I've never thought he's anything special, and he'd be just another in a long list of midfielders we sign who can't score, tackle or pass, and struggle to compete at this level.

And I can't get that performance he put in against us in the cup out of my head. It was as bad as it gets, like Andre Gomes at Villa Park standards. He only came on late during the second half of normal time but was being outran and out sprinted by players who had played 119 minutes. He was the main reason we won that game in extra time.

Winks and Ali don’t have the mentality that Gray and Reid did. That is as clear as day. They don’t want to be here. We are just the ones stupid enough to give them their next contract

Here's the thing though mate, we look at Reid and Gray now with the benefit of hindsight, both deals where massively controversial at the times, Reid I think was 26, coming from a relegated team and had had two injury plagued seasons, he'd gone from being one of the most rated young players 4-5 seasons earlier to being regarded as another young player which injury would see never reach their potential. It's why Bolton basically sold him fir almost nothing at the time l, he was regarded as bring 'finished' by a lot of people.

Gray was 28, was simply brilliant when he was 19-23 and by the time we signed him was regarded as being almost finished and a huge risk as his knees had gone and with that his scoring had dried up.

Both turned into inspired signings but let's not re-write history, both those transfers if fast forwarded to modern tines would have been absolutely slated to bits on here by almost everyone.

In 20 years time Dele for one could be seen in a similar light if something clicks like it did with both Gray and Reid.

The problem is DCL is one dimensional imo, stop the crosses you stop him, and essentially you stop Everton.
He doesn't have any other way of scoring, he cant take a player on, he cant shift the ball left or right and then bury it when facing a defender.
He doesnt have good movement off the ball.
He isnt skillful with the ball.

Get to the byline and whip in a cross he's dangerous but apart from that hes meh.
We can set the team up to exploit his strengths but then, if/ when he's out.... we found it really difficult because his skillset is so specific.

Reactions: JLW

Status
Not open for further replies.