• Yes

Votes: 834 79.7%
  • No

Votes: 212 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing devil’s advocate here, but Gana was with us when the rainbow laces campaign was well under way.

The campaign encouraged players to wear the laces. I’ve just looked at a lot of Everton photos from gameweeks for the 17/18, 18/19 and 19/20 seasons and not one player is wearing them. Coleman is wearing the rainbow armband in 2 of the matches and Sigurdsson in the latter one. Does this mean that all of our players at the time were homophobic because they chose not to wear a pair of the 100,000 laces that were provided by the Premier League and camping organisers Stonewall across the PL and EFL? In fact I didn’t see a pair of rainbow laces on any of the opposition players neither.

We’re potentially vilifying a player for a scenario we know nothing about. Only he knows the reasons why he chose not to play. He did play in those Prem games above by the way and there were alot of different objects/things wrapped in rainbow colours across all 3 games.

There’s not enough evidence to conclude either way if he is or isn’t homophobic. We can not act as judge and jury in these matters. We all have our opinions and everyone’s should be heard, it’s how we grow and understand. Not everything is black or white, weight or wrong. There are grey areas and this situation is definitely sitting in one.

My take is that he has religious beliefs that sway his decisions. He may not have a problem with LGBTQ+ and wouldn’t go out of his way to be nasty or violent towards a member of the community, but at the same time he may feel that he also doesn’t have to promote it either, if that makes sense?

Agreed, the lack of understanding of the fact that we're talking about a man who lives in a society with very different rules than ours, whose family can literally be put in danger by adopting the poster's views, is appalling.

Feel free to admire Enes Kanter. That sort of stand takes some courage. His family literally was put in danger when he took on Erdogan. It doesn't follow that we should demand that everyone make those same choices.

A guy I know is the son of one of the leaders of Solidarity. His father was told in the 1980s by Polish secret police that they could no longer guarantee his security, or that of his family. They fled to Canada. I don't think anything less of him, or his father, for making that decision.

It is not possible to engage with people like the poster in question. Their experiences and worldview are so narrow that they cannot comprehend that other people can be put in tough positions. They're no different than the worst ideologues on the other side of the political spectrum.

In five years on GOT, I have never, not once, used the ignore function. There have been times where I have been tempted, but I think that all of you are worthy of being heard, and that I impoverish myself with respect to growth and the human existence when I jam my fingers in my ears and refuse to hear the worst that you have to say of me, or one another.

I am finally using the ignore function now. The player valuation suggests that this person is here solely to push an agenda. I am willing to hear what @Death has to say in CA. I rarely agree with him, but it does happen. Nevertheless, I value him as a member of this community. He has earned his place.

I am not willing to hear this person.
Bonkers all this about an individual a citizen from another country. And here we've just had the Common Wealth games to much fanfare and navel gazing, literally broadcast throughout its entirety on BBC network. The very same Common Wealth that has 35 countries that completely outlaws homosexuality and puts you in prison, The Common Wealth that has 3 member countries that puts you to death for homosexuality. And it's all Idrissa fault for not wearing a rainbow, virture signalling by sad acts!

Reported and posting this comment in the hope that others read these views quoted.

It's not very often that someone makes me angry, disturbed or disgusted on this forum.

You make my skin crawl.

A reminder that the world contains people with extremely disturbing views.

remember when you were defending the IDF bombing residential flats?

Status
Not open for further replies.