Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

£40m Bid Made For Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
And to counter that - yet again - the fact that some players are overpriced does not mean there is no value in the market. Not sure about you but in my opinion, Chris Wood is probably not 4 times as good as Sandro, or better than Jermain Defoe or Javier Hernandez. So all that news does for me is reinforces that you can be fleeced but don't need to be.

Yep I agree.

But we've had our fair share of bargains I suppose.

I've said it plenty but the people in charge of the purse strings will only let this deal go through if they think it won't effect us elsewhere in the market.

I trust those people - the ones in charge now, at least - to make that call, either way.

Personally, while we would be overpaying, I'd pay it. I'd get it done and get him in because he's one of the best players in that position that we can attract in terms of how he suits what Koeman wants (a hard working, strong, physical player with bags of quality on the ball).

It's also balance by the fact that, in the grand scheme of things, we can still recoup the majority of the fee (I'd actually wager all of it) by selling two players who seemingly aren't convinced their futures are at Everton, or have been deemed surplus to requirements.

Not wanting to sound like you know who, but only Sandro seems like a find really, the others any of us could of probably picked and probably would of guessed a lower price.
Jury is still out on some of the younger players like Lookman, but other than Sandro, I'm a bit disappointed by Walsh, but I really hope he succeeds.
Disappointed by Gana
Disappointed by Henry who Arsenal amongst others wanted
Disappointed by Morgan
Disappointed by Keane.
This isn't FIFA this is real life

Disappointed by Gana
Disappointed by Henry who Arsenal amongst others wanted
Disappointed by Morgan
Disappointed by Keane.
This isn't FIFA this is real life

So Walsh found all these gems? Even Morgan from Utd ? he found Keane an England international? He's done well there.

I agree that after last season, 7th is a minimum requirement, but I really don't want to fall into the "top 4 is a trophy" camp. Would you sacrifice top 4/league form for a trophy? Should we not be looking at the Europa League? I don't need to be John Nash to say that 7 does not go into 4 and out of those 7 our chances of being one of those 4 are the slimmest

I don't know about that last sentence
City Chelsea and Manure are my top for top 3 in that order.
After that let's look
Spurs playing at Wembley has been poor for them
They have sold their RF
Levy has said he's not spending big in a crazy market and will look to the academy
What he meant was we are paying for a new stadium and haven't got a proverbial pot to urinate in as regards to transfers.
Arsenal are buying attackers again with the exception of the LB
They badly need a CB and a defensive midfielder and again Arsenal is blind to this.
Liverpool may lose Couthino plus their squad will struggle with Europe and will fade late in the season due tonKlippeyys high pressing game.
We are still a few players off but Siggy Giroud or similar , a CB and LB cover and we are not far off
RK has stated we are after 3 players plus Siggy so who knows with a bit of luck on the injury front and the ball bouncing our way now and again we may be i the mix for top 4
4 of the first 6 fixtures are tough though
5 points from 12 would see me happy from those 4 games

So Walsh found all these gems? Even Morgan from Utd ? he found Keane an England international? He's done well there.

He only has to find the odd gem. Imagine us buying kids all of the time on the cheap and not bringing in players like Morgan etc, people would be up in arms. Let's see how this batch of players do before judging him. Even if they don't make it at the club and we sell for a profit he's succeeded because they'll be one in a line of many.

Yep I agree.

But we've had our fair share of bargains I suppose.

I've said it plenty but the people in charge of the purse strings will only let this deal go through if they think it won't effect us elsewhere in the market.

I trust those people - the ones in charge now, at least - to make that call, either way.

Personally, while we would be overpaying, I'd pay it. I'd get it done and get him in because he's one of the best players in that position that we can attract in terms of how he suits what Koeman wants (a hard working, strong, physical player with bags of quality on the ball).

It's also balance by the fact that, in the grand scheme of things, we can still recoup the majority of the fee (I'd actually wager all of it) by selling two players who seemingly aren't convinced their futures are at Everton, or have been deemed surplus to requirements.
I know what you mean, and obviously the club will offer whatever it wants for whoever it wants. In my opinion offering anywhere near £50m for Sigurdsson is madness, pure and simple, but I'm just a bloke offering an opinion, I know it makes no difference in reality.

The money offered for Sissoko and the complete mess we've made of Barkley's contractual situation (which could end up costing us £40m) mean my belief in the ability of the powers that be to make sound financial decisions when it comes to football matters is not unwavering, but I'll cheer just as loudly for Sigurdsson and Klaasen as I did for Lukaku and Barkley and would genuinely love to be proved wrong about the value they represent.

Not what I meant, I said if we end up paying £50m because Walsh hasn't identified a suitable alternative to Siggy (e.g. plan B) then that would be a failure on his part.

You're way off beam mate. Siggy has been Koeman's no.1 target for about 12 months. It was always going to happen as long as Mosh approval was given. I guess Walsh would also have given his seal of approval but if you're looking to him to find the next generation of great value starlets, let's start with Lookman, DCL, Bowler, Onyekuru, Mathis and today Gibson from Toon.... and rumours of the lad from Sheff U to follow

I just don't see how you link Walsh's scouting activity with a failure to land a key mature target. I'd bet that if for whatever reason we don't get Siggy, there will be a plan B like Viera or another established name (prob from the Italian league).

As was pointed out previously
Sandro Rooney ( with half his wages paid upfront ) and Siggy for 56m
Not bad in today's market.
These lads know what they are doing
I fully realise they don't play FIFA 17 and may not even own a PlayStation
But a lad who is worth a few quid thinks it's worth paying them a nice salary to do this.

Not bad at all. I was also alluding to the lad we bought from Belgium (be arsed trying to spell his name), the young lad from qpr and now the young lad from newcastle.

I don't know about that last sentence
City Chelsea and Manure are my top for top 3 in that order.
After that let's look
Spurs playing at Wembley has been poor for them
They have sold their RF
Levy has said he's not spending big in a crazy market and will look to the academy
What he meant was we are paying for a new stadium and haven't got a proverbial pot to urinate in as regards to transfers.
Arsenal are buying attackers again with the exception of the LB
They badly need a CB and a defensive midfielder and again Arsenal is blind to this.
Liverpool may lose Couthino plus their squad will struggle with Europe and will fade late in the season due tonKlippeyys high pressing game.
We are still a few players off but Siggy Giroud or similar , a CB and LB cover and we are not far off
RK has stated we are after 3 players plus Siggy so who knows with a bit of luck on the injury front and the ball bouncing our way now and again we may be i the mix for top 4
4 of the first 6 fixtures are tough though
5 points from 12 would see me happy from those 4 games

I realise I wasn't clear, but I don't think we're miles off getting top 4, and I wouldn't even put united down as certainties for a spot either. They've actually finished in a worse position 3 years in a row now. However out of the top 7, we're still the 7th best team, and that's before those teams have finished spending money. Still though, we're in a better position to push forward than we where last year.

The big question is how strong a team are we going to put out in the Europa league when the games are coming Thursday/Sunday. I'm not sure we're ready to fight on 4 fronts (including cups)- hence my original statement that I don't want to put all my eggs in the top 4 basket. Just give me a trophy please. I'll get down on my knees if I have to. Wait.. that didn't sound right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back