Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

£40m Bid Made For Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Conversley this is why I don't want Sig.

Don't think he plays this type of pass very well at all.

His ability to complete difficult passes in tight areas is poor.

https://differentgame.wordpress.com...out-gylfi-sigurdsson-v-ross-barkley-part-one/

"
You can see Barkley there trying more vertical passes from deeper central positions while Sigurdsson is all about putting the ball in the box from out wide.

This is where Sigurdsson’s game falls down. He’s well below average at making the more difficult passes stick. Evertonians will be interested to note that Sigurdsson profiles like a poor man’s Rooney here or a very poor man’s Coutinho/Silva/Ozil/Firmino.

Barkley on the other hand is above average at making more difficult passes stick and profiles as a poor man’s Yaya Toure, or a very poor man’s Fabregas.

On top of this, over the last two years Sigurdsson’s involvement has dropped to the point where Barkley is passing the ball twice as much as the Icelander during a game."
Ok, now I get it, and it's completely wrong.

Sigurdsson literaly makes the quick, one touch pass in tight areas as well as anyone. That analysis is so messed up I don't even know where to start. Watch.him.play. You give him the ball with even minimal time around the 18 and it's just awesome to watch. Even better, him on a team where he actually has time from 30 yards in to create or even better, to score, and he'll be even more productive than he was for Swans.

He's LIGHT YEARS ahead of Barkley in that department. Barkley hold the ball for eternity, and makes passes to Romelu Lukaku for goals, who's as good a finisher as there is. He is good at making dangerous passes, but he's got the ball half the game - if he was GREAT at it, we'd score a lot more and he'd have a ton more assists. Don't get me wrong, I really wanted a team with Siggy and Ross behind a good CF, but Rooney will do just fine.

Ok, now I get it, and it's completely wrong.

Sigurdsson literaly makes the quick, one touch pass in tight areas as well as anyone. That analysis is so messed up I don't even know where to start. Watch.him.play. You give him the ball with even minimal time around the 18 and it's just awesome to watch. Even better, him on a team where he actually has time from 30 yards in to create or even better, to score, and he'll be even more productive than he was for Swans.

He's LIGHT YEARS ahead of Barkley in that department. Barkley hold the ball for eternity, and makes passes to Romelu Lukaku for goals, who's as good a finisher as there is. He is good at making dangerous passes, but he's got the ball half the game - if he was GREAT at it, we'd score a lot more and he'd have a ton more assists. Don't get me wrong, I really wanted a team with Siggy and Ross behind a good CF, but Rooney will do just fine.

Clearly we disagree. Which is fine.

I hope if we sign him he is the player you so passionately believe he is rather than the one I think he is :)

We can only go on the evidence we have - he certainly has decreased his amount of touches of the ball and become far more direct in the last few seasons.

However I don't see any evidence in his career of this gifted playmaker who plays clever passes. He has always been a hard working player who can strike the ball well with either foot and who has a stated preference to play as a number 10.
Whoa, again, how do you believe he's become LESS direct? In that stupid analysis, he had the ball half the time Ross did and had nearly the same numbers of chances. His assist totals are about the best in the entire league and he scores a TON of goals from the midfield. Ross is the one that isn't direct at all, which is why Ronnie kept trying to push him upfield and get him to move the friggin ball. That's what's madding about Ross and the opposite about Sigurdsson. Ross could be a amazing 8 or even a 6 if he could mark anyone and tackle. He's a better attacking mid because he has the ability to take guys on and can put the ball in the net. But he won't for some reason. He wants to pick it up from deep, pass it around, hold on to the ball, etc.

Ronnie wants the direct, attacking type player who can play the decisive ball in the final third. Rooney can do it, but Sigurdsson is as good as there is about it.

Clearly we disagree. Which is fine.

I hope if we sign him he is the player you so passionately believe he is rather than the one I think he is :)
Now wait, disagree on his quality is one thing - no problems there, but I seriously don't know ANYONE who has watched him play that would EVER say he isn't at least good at the one touch, decisive pass. Again, we can disagree, fine. Him not being direct, I mean, that's also crazy. He's a constant one touch, move the ball kind of guy. He's not a holding player. He and Ross are complete opposites in that regard.

Obviously no one is going to argue about his shooting or set piece passing, but dude, his main gift is that one touch, quick pass.

Watch the second goal against England for Iceland. He gets the secondary assist on a quick, one time type pass. It wasn't THE decisive pass, but it's a familiar play that I can at least recall off the top of my head that I think is a good example.

Whoa, again, how do you believe he's become LESS direct?

I don't. I said he has "become more direct"

In that stupid analysis, he had the ball half the time Ross did and had nearly the same numbers of chances. His assist totals are about the best in the entire league and he scores a TON of goals from the midfield. Ross is the one that isn't direct at all, which is why Ronnie kept trying to push him upfield and get him to move the friggin ball. That's what's madding about Ross and the opposite about Sigurdsson. Ross could be a amazing 8 or even a 6 if he could mark anyone and tackle. He's a better attacking mid because he has the ability to take guys on and can put the ball in the net. But he won't for some reason. He wants to pick it up from deep, pass it around, hold on to the ball, etc.

Ronnie wants the direct, attacking type player who can play the decisive ball in the final third. Rooney can do it, but Sigurdsson is as good as there is about it.

That analysis looks at every pass made over 2 seasons. If you have a better idea of assessing passes than using actual real life data I'm all ears.

Last year we ha almost d the longest average pass in the league and the least distance traveled in possession of the ball. Only Ross played short passes and dribbled the ball. The idea we need more direct play and less dribbling is bizarre to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back