Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

£40m Bid Made For Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can only go on the evidence we have - he certainly has decreased his amount of touches of the ball and become far more direct in the last few seasons.

However I don't see any evidence in his career of this gifted playmaker who plays clever passes. He has always been a hard working player who can strike the ball well with either foot and who has a stated preference to play as a number 10.

He can state preferences all he likes. But he played off the left last season, was extremely successful, and will do so again for us. In terms of productivity, to claim he's no better than Barkley is delusional. Swansea didn't have much of the ball last year and the reason for that is bleeding obvious. But it's what he did with it that counts.

But my point is that that study which you've presented is not enough to make any conclusion of a career which has probably spanned 10 years (presuming he started when 17).

I can think off the top of my head two passes that Sig made last season, one against Leicester, which I cannot imagine anyone in our current team making.

Well in that career he has played for 2 lower league teams, a struggling PL team and had 2 seasons at Spurs where he ultimately failed to hold down a place.

At the age of almost 28 you would think a supremely gifted player capable of unpicking the tightest defence would have been picked up by one of the bigger clubs?

Well in that career he has played for 2 lower league teams, a struggling PL team and had 2 seasons at Spurs where he ultimately failed to hold down a place.

At the age of almost 28 you would think a supremely gifted player capable of unpicking the tightest defence would have been picked up by one of the bigger clubs?
Well didn't he rejected Liverpool to go to Spurs? Struggled to get in ahead of Eriksen and Bale?
And Pochettino said recently he'd be perfect for Spurs.
Again, context is everything.

That's your basis for not thinking he's good? He's not playing any different teams at Swans than the rest of the EPL is. He just has much worse players around him. Isn't that MORE reason for thinking he's good? Honestly, he's going to cost us 50M. Who else can afford that? THAT's why he's only played for Spurs.

That's your basis for not thinking he's good? He's not playing any different teams at Swans than the rest of the EPL is. He just has much worse players around him. Isn't that MORE reason for thinking he's good? Honestly, he's going to cost us 50M. Who else can afford that? THAT's why he's only played for Spurs.

I don't think he is THAT good because he has never shown himself to be.

We'll see if we sign him if he is good for Everton. I hope he is. I hope there is something you and some of the other posters see in him that I am missing. Clearly RK sees it too.

However my main concerns are as they always have been. I don't see where he'd play and I don't see what problem he solves in our squad. Much rather spend the money on a striker, a midfielder who can beat a man and run with the ball and some width.

We'll see if we sign him if he is good for Everton. I hope he is. I hope there is something you and some of the other posters see in him that I am missing. Clearly RK sees it too.

However my main concerns are as they always have been. I don't see where he'd play and I don't see what problem he solves in our squad. Much rather spend the money on a striker, a midfielder who can beat a man and run with the ball and some width.

He'll play on the left mate, and it's blatantly obvious he will improve us. Who do you suggest instead?

If you don't he's ever shown himself to be that good, whether it's single handed keeping Swans up as a left inside forward (not a #10) or taking Iceland - bloody Iceland - into the Euro round of 8 himself and owning England, that's fine. Hey, it's subjective, no problems with opinions.

But seriously, listen to us at least when we tell you where he can play. This idea that posters have that he's a #10 and nothing else, when it's OBVIOUS to anyone who has watched him play that he would fit in perfectly on the left side close to goal, is the reason why this thead is as long as it is.

If you're wondering what we are missing / why we are chasing Siggy so hard, look at Spurs' first goal today and specifically the pass from Eriksen.

That sort of pass, within a congested area, with runners like Sandro, Rooney, Klaassen and another striker is exactly what we are missing.

Spend whatever it takes because there are not many Sigs left.
I think Eriksen is the best comparison for him. In fact Spurs basically had to sell him because they were too similar to play with each other

But seriously, listen to us at least when we tell you where he can play. This idea that posters have that he's a #10 and nothing else, when it's OBVIOUS to anyone who has watched him play that he would fit in perfectly on the left side close to goal, is the reason why this thead is as long as it is.

The first half of this thread is people saying "he was no good for Spurs because they played him on the left". He himself blames his failure at Spurs on being played out of position.

I know he can play on the left of a front 3, I just don't think he is anywhere near good enough to be worth £50m at almost 28 years old. That is hardly controversial.

I think Eriksen is the best comparison for him. In fact Spurs basically had to sell him because they were too similar to play with each other
Agree. Eriksen was very advanced yesterday and completely dominated. But watch how him and Ali were all over the place in the second half playing behind Kane, who knows very well how to bring the team into play. Those two are allowed to play with complete freedom due to Dembele and ironically, Sissoko yesterday. Morgan and Gana with Klassen in between supporting Rooney and Gyfil. Target man up front, or just ANYONE, even Kalinic to bring everyone back into the play.

I'm watching this West Ham Man U match and the complete absence of a target type guy - Chicarito is a pure poacher - makes it literally impossible for West Ham to have any relief and transition back into offense. It helps to have that type of player.

Do I want more pace from the outside? I do, but I would go for an attacking wing back to do that before I'd go for an out and out winger, especially with Yannick not being dead yet.

We are one now of the bigger clubs again

The first half of this thread is people saying "he was no good for Spurs because they played him on the left". He himself blames his failure at Spurs on being played out of position.

I know he can play on the left of a front 3, I just don't think he is anywhere near good enough to be worth £50m at almost 28 years old. That is hardly controversial.
Nail on head!

Agree. Eriksen was very advanced yesterday and completely dominated. But watch how him and Ali were all over the place in the second half playing behind Kane, who knows very well how to bring the team into play. Those two are allowed to play with complete freedom due to Dembele and ironically, Sissoko yesterday. Morgan and Gana with Klassen in between supporting Rooney and Gyfil. Target man up front, or just ANYONE, even Kalinic to bring everyone back into the play.

I'm watching this West Ham Man U match and the complete absence of a target type guy - Chicarito is a pure poacher - makes it literally impossible for West Ham to have any relief and transition back into offense. It helps to have that type of player.

Do I want more pace from the outside? I do, but I would go for an attacking wing back to do that before I'd go for an out and out winger, especially with Yannick not being dead yet.

Could swear I only watched them a few hours ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back