Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

£40m Bid Made For Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need more quality that's obvious after saturday,watching the highlights of the likes of United and Spurs yesterday makes me realise Just how far behind the likes of those sides we still are as far attacking options are.
Spurs were terrible until they were up against 10 men

Drag it out make him miss their next prem game aswel, then pull out or lower the price.

Make the yanks look stupid that their best player missed all pre season and 2 prem games for nothing.

This has been the complete opposite of the efficient Everton at the start of the window.

All the enthusiasm sapped away.

Get it done so we can get the player on the pitch asap!
It's frustrating I know mate, and the delay in this and bringing in another striker is starting to rankle.

But you need to look at the bigger picture too. Despite what Moshiri may have intimated in the past, there are restrictions to what we can spend, both on transfer fees and on player wages. I'm not talking net spend here. If we end up with a negative net spend by the end of this window and not improved the starting XI and substantially improved the squad, the fume will be very much deserved. But the club will have a budget in mind that they will be looking to work to, made up of the good old transfer chest and supplemented by player sales.

Within that budget the club will have a figure that we are prepared to pay for each player. In the case of Sigurdsson, I suspect that probably started at about £35m or maybe even less. Swansea understandably want a lot more for their star player. If we just cave in with this one and pay what they're asking, then every other club will do the same when we go after their players. If we were United, Chelsea or City, then this wouldn't be a problem. But the simple fact is that we aren't.

The other issue we have is that there will be a priority list, especially for the striker, and I guess they've been holding out for the number 1 on that list which appears to have been Giroud. Again, whilst the delay has been frustrating due to he player being undecided in his wishes, I'd rather the club waited a few weeks to bring in the right player for us rather than spend a lot of money bringing in second or third best. Ok, now we know he's staying at Arsenal let's go after our other choices asap.

The issue we have now is how much can we spend. Assuming we bring Siggy in this week for initial outlay of £40/45m, that's going to give us a positive net spend of a roughly similar figure. So our spending power will be restricted by our sales. I suspect Barkley, McCarthy, Lennon, Robles and Niasse will all be made available I suspect. If we sell all of them for say, £70/75m, then that will give us a very sizeable pot to bring in quality players at striker and LCB, possibly even another winger or LB in there to. If we only sell McCarthy however, we will probably own spend big on a striker and will be bargain basement shopping or even loaning a back up CB, rather than a starter which is what we need. We would still have Barkley though and a stronger back up keeper.

It's going to be interesting seeing how the next 2 weeks develop.

I do believe @crockyblue79 was referring to the "attacking options" on show from United and Spurs.

And whilst those other three indeed looked "all over the place" defensively, they also showed a lot more attacking flair than we did.

it was the first game of the season so we cant draw many conclusions either way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back