• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

2022 World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me FIFA are wrong to not have a big football nation among the bids, no matter how professional it'll be. I'd rather they host the damn thing in Ghana.

I'm not disagreeing, I'm just trying to think of it from a business perspective and FIFA trying to expand the market as that appears to be what the World Cup is about nowadays unfortunately. I also meant out of the countries that were on the list, I'd be happiest to see it in either the US or Australia, but I agree, I'd like to see it be hosted in a major footballing country, or at least one more interested in the sport. No offence to the Americans or Australians on here, but they do have other sports which come before football in their priorities as a country.

FIFA said during their inspection of Korea that there was not enough K league on the TV (they show foreign footy over their own) and not enough Koreans cared about footy.

I can't argue with either of those observations.

So it looked like Korea's bid was booted out. But I can't believe those other countries on the list are footy fanatic countries of their own football league.

I would be very, very surprised if it was not held in America.

I'd imagine FIFA's list of preference would look like..

USA
Australia
Qatar
Japan
Korea

The bids to host it are:

Australia
Japan
Qatar
South Korea
United States

Is it just me or is that a load of bollocks? It'd be nice to have at least one country that actually gives a [Poor language removed] about the game there.

It'd be nice if you knew what you were talking about..

Lay off it mate. It's at best your sixth most popular sport.

American Football
Basketball
Baseball
Hockey
Soccer

5th most popular actually.(unless I missed a sport) I could also see soccer being ahead of hockey with the large hispanic and latino population in the US.

American Football
Basketball
Baseball
Hockey
Soccer

5th most popular actually.(unless I missed a sport) I could also see soccer being ahead of hockey with the large hispanic and latino population in the US.

plus MLS attendance is on par with the bottom half of MLB

In terms of attendance and World Cup viewing (not EPL/MLS viewing), soccer is bigger than hockey. And some of the World Cup games (the ones involving US and the final) BEAT baseball viewing figures.

South Korea/Japan - just had it. Not going to happen. Plus, I think FIFA will want to go to China in 2026.
Qatar - less infrastructure, hard to get to for fans
Australia - apparently some of the other sports are not playing nice and not willing to give up stadium space. They are the second best bet.
US - growing soccer viewing figures (yes, GROWING with every world cup viewing, MLS attendance up, EPL viewing up), most profitable world cup in 1994, most affluent sports market, and by far, the best infrastructure, and the easiest to attend - Europeans will come in droves. Comes on the heels of primetime tv in Brazil 2014, easy travel to Europe in 2018. World Cup viewing figures by 2022 will be large. This should be an absolute no brainer.

I am with teppic - if this is not in the US, I'd be shocked. Australia I think is the next best bet.

Oh - and even if soccer is the #5 sport here - at our size, that would be enough to have a very successful World Cup here. We have more people interested than 1994 - by a VERY large margin. And guess what - those folks that do watch, care a whole damn lot. I would cart myself to as many games as possible.

u.s. shouldn't get it again so close to the last one, it has happened before in '86 but that was shifted from columbia close to the start date.

I can see there being a 'european' one eventually with say London, Berlin, Paris, Madrid, Lisbon, Rome being the host cities, it would be as easy if not easier to travel between these than some u.s. and aus cities.

American Football
Basketball
Baseball
Hockey
Soccer

I was counting Tennis, but I'm willing to give way on that.

Still its the 4th or 5th most popular sport. A minority are big football fans and a good deal more watch the World Cup without knowing a whole lot about the game just cos of the occassion, fine.

But you'll be getting it twice in thirty years. And there are loads and loads of countries where it is their top sport, where it is a major part of their culture and where everybody knows about the game who haven't got it at all.

I was counting Tennis, but I'm willing to give way on that.

Still its the 4th or 5th most popular sport. A minority are big football fans and a good deal more watch the World Cup without knowing a whole lot about the game just cos of the occassion, fine.

But you'll be getting it twice in thirty years. And there are loads and loads of countries where it is their top sport, where it is a major part of their culture and where everybody knows about the game who haven't got it at all.

But if it is not held in Europe or South America there are not too many other places that are 'soccer hotbeds'.

Australia and the USA are huge land masses that would not be too great to travel over I'd imagine. The other 3 countries are small enough to be a few hours away from any of the stadium. Although Japan is a bit more tricky as it is a bunch of islands.

But if it is not held in Europe or South America there are not too many other places that are 'soccer hotbeds'.

Australia and the USA are huge land masses that would not be too great to travel over I'd imagine. The other 3 countries are small enough to be a few hours away from any of the stadium. Although Japan is a bit more tricky as it is a bunch of islands.

There are also not that many other countries that have the infrastructure to support the hundreds of thousands of fans. And thus, they don't bid. In most cases the countries lose money. Turkey would love to host - they just can't handle it (now - I fully expect them to pull it off at some point). Same probably goes for the other African countries.

In order to not have it be the #5 sport (it beats tennis and golf), you have to give us a chance to grow our base. The World Cup does that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reckon the Aussie's will get it - they're the biggest major (developed) sporting nation never to have hosted it, does seem a bit soon for Japan/Korea but the States might be able to pull off a more profitable tournament, so that could swing it in their favour.

Qatar could be the dark horse, no shortage of funds for brand new facilities and is more-or-less one big city...
On the downside, it'd be like 40+ degrees every day and hotels & booze wouldn't be cheap (no liquor stores, bars have to be in hotels).

Reckon the Aussie's will get it - they're the biggest major (developed) sporting nation never to have hosted it, does seem a bit soon for Japan/Korea but the States might be able to pull off a more profitable tournament, so that could swing it in their favour.

Qatar could be the dark horse, no shortage of funds for brand new facilities and is more-or-less one big city...
On the downside, it'd be like 40+ degrees every day and hotels & booze wouldn't be cheap (no liquor stores, bars have to be in hotels).

That has to be a reason why Qatar don't got it. Just a nightmare for supporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back