4pm announcement Barkley Signs new 4 year deal [Dont post GIFS]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delighted Ross has signed. Love how much he loves Everton.

People are saying having a press conference makes us look small time but you can argue the opposite of that. If Ross (one of the top prospects in world football) has committed to us it shows the world of football we are going places. In the past we could never have kept him.

Now lets back this up with some top quality signings.....I'm looking at you bill ;)

To me - I might be cynical, but is that just a sweetener for the blues fans as the alleged Lukaku deal is now in shreds, and this public show announcement is to soften the blow if the Lukaku deal fall by the wayside after RM blurting out "Of course he is coming? { I always thought that was a cheeky tongue in cheek remark by RM}

Shamus signed a new contract no big fuss press sky conference on that - I know Ross is a great prospect , and it is great news but why the over the top announcement - not usually the Everton way for a routine contract extension?

Keep the faith, but as we know a contract can easily be broken, a press conference should be for a big star outside player of significance IMO

The OTT trailing of this though when the club have been next to hopeless again in the transfer market was a complete miscalculation.
It was a mistake to hold a press conference, but it's not worth the froth swilling about in this thread. It was essentially very good news.
That's all that's being said
Not quite all. You seem to think it's part of the intricate web of deceit that Kenwright is spinning this summer. Rather than simply a misguided bit of PR.

It's simply a matter of timing, the fans and media are in perpetual speculation about Lukaku's will he-won't he scenario. It's the middle of silly season when transfer speculation is rife and we announce a contract extension. This could easily have waited until the start of the season.

It is good news as opposed to a major announcement. In terms of the Barkeley situation it means he won't go anywhere this summer, but no-one really expected him to anyway so it hasn't really ended any speculation about his future. As for longer term, all it really means is Everton will get his true worth in terms of transfer fee if someone is serious about signing him next summer. (Suarez signed a new contract in December!)

To me - I might be cynical, but is that just a sweetener for the blues fans as the alleged Lukaku deal is now in shreds, and this public show announcement is to soften the blow if the Lukaku deal fall by the wayside after RM blurting out "Of course he is coming? { I always thought that was a cheeky tongue in cheek remark by RM}

Shamus signed a new contract no big fuss press sky conference on that - I know Ross is a great prospect , and it is great news but why the over the top announcement - not usually the Everton way for a routine contract extension?

Keep the faith, but as we know a contract can easily be broken, a press conference should be for a big star outside player of significance IMO
Oh my [Poor language removed] god.

Perhaps some are reading too much into this? We'd have killed for this news 6 months ago.

Yes, I want a great big Belgian striker but this is still great news and that.
image.webp

Great news, chuffed to bits when I heard it.

Why are ppl mad? The beautiful beast Besic has just signed, one of the best upcoming talents in world football has committed his future to us, and in a few days a certain Romelu Lukaku will be ours.

Happy effing days this

Nope, it's not speculation. It's downright bollox. We've signed Barry and Besic, and the two players who arguably excited us most (Coleman and Barkley) last season have been tied down on new deals. Not to mention our manager believes we still have a chance of getting Lukaku or a plan B.

Inertia

NOUN
[MASS NOUN]
1A tendency to do nothing or to remain unchanged:
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/inertia
Resigning players you had - I'd say that fits your definition perfectly.

As I said, Besic aside this is standard fare for Everton even though there's a hell of a lot more money available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back