Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

5 games to go - as good as it gets or can it be maintained?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@davek , not gonna get into any talk on the manager mate, cos frankly it's got very boring etc.

But this season there is an obvious split shown in the table between the top seven and the rest of the league, and we are part of that breakaway group, key now is to build upon that for the rest of this season and go into the summer and strengthening the first team and the squad.

Whilst it would have been boss to have spend silly money on transfers, it's actually impressive and hopeful that we managed to stick with this group without spending a great deal.

The process of culling the worst of the dead wood is well under way, and a lot more will be out the door in the summer, we add 3-4 players who improves us as much as gueye and schneiderlin did OR as much as lukaku did when we got him, then top four and maybe a whole lot more is possible.
There is no Top 7. It;'s bas enough with the media trying to talk up a ridiculous "Top 6" category without extending the numbers beyond that to the, quite frankly, ridiculous. There's a top 4 that get the CL spots. Then there's usually a team from the pack that's in amongst the challengers as an outside chance for a CL spot. That's what traditionally happens each season and that's where Everton fit in this season...just as it's where Everton have fitted in for 6 of the past 11 seasons.

There's nothing new here. Its part of a trend.

Not a record that means too much. All about points totals and league positions for me. We won't be beating any recently set records on that score, let me assure you.

Without Lukakus goals we are bang average, and I think we all know it. He's inherited that player and when he goes I don't fancy him to spend the money wisely on a forward given the £37m he's wasted on Bolasie and Lookman.
Agree about concerns around who we bring in and that is what worries me most about losing Lukaku and/or Barkely. The transfer record in terms of player bought is hit and miss at best, and probably worse than that when examined objectively.

Agree about concerns around who we bring in and that is what worries me most about losing Lukaku and/or Barkely. The transfer record in terms of player bought is hit and miss at best, and probably worse than that when examined objectively.
I'd say Bolasie and Williams hasn't been money well spent (certainly not with Bolasie as you cant make a case for the player to come back into the team as it currently stands, and Williams has been disappointing). Lookman - jury out on. Gueye and Schneiderlin at this stage successes.

I think it's been a pretty mixed bag of success on the transfer front.

Sticking to the thread topic: if we cant keep hold of Lukaku then never mind this being as good as it gets for this season it might be as good a placing as we'll see for seasons to come. it's THAT important that the proceeds of Lukaku's sale is spent wisely.

There is no Top 7. It;'s bas enough with the media trying to talk up a ridiculous "Top 6" category without extending the numbers beyond that to the, quite frankly, ridiculous. There's a top 4 that get the CL spots. Then there's usually a team from the pack that's in amongst the challengers as an outside chance for a CL spot. That's what traditionally happens each season and that's where Everton fit in this season...just as it's where Everton have fitted in for 6 of the past 11 seasons.

There's nothing new here. Its part of a trend.

Which is why i said that the key this summer is to build upon this season Dave, do it once - yeah can be written off easily as a fluke/trend whatever, do it back to back seasons - especially when their is now 6 teams financially hugely above us, would suggest it isn't a blip season etc.

As i said though the key is to do it consistently, for example spurs didn't manage that until Pocchetino came in, now no one would doubt they are amongst the teams who will year in year out be battling it out for stuff that matters.

As for the top 6 category - it's media bs fair enough, but it is rooted in the amount 6 teams in this league earn and spend compared to the rest - so in that regard there is a clear gulf, one which we need to bridge and fast

Our defence has gone from one of the worst in the league to among the best.

In no way has Williams been disappointing.
That's down to those ahead of the defence looking lively and us defending in greater numbers. It's a system thing. The defenders themselves as a unit are poor and need a massive upgrade - I include the GK in that too.

That's down to those ahead of the defence looking lively and us defending in greater numbers. It's a system thing. The defenders themselves as a unit are poor and need a massive upgrade - I include the GK in that too.

You're right that Koeman has worked wonders in fixing a shambolic defence, and while of course we are shooting to buy better players than Williams, he has done an excellent job for the most part this season. Which is really all he was bought to do.

Which is why i said that the key this summer is to build upon this season Dave, do it once - yeah can be written off easily as a fluke/trend whatever, do it back to back seasons - especially when their is now 6 teams financially hugely above us, would suggest it isn't a blip season etc.

As i said though the key is to do it consistently, for example spurs didn't manage that until Pocchetino came in, now no one would doubt they are amongst the teams who will year in year out be battling it out for stuff that matters.

As for the top 6 category - it's media bs fair enough, but it is rooted in the amount 6 teams in this league earn and spend compared to the rest - so in that regard there is a clear gulf, one which we need to bridge and fast
What are we talking about here exactly position wise for this to represent 'more than a blip'? A couple of back-to-back 5th place finishes is the only thing that would represent a difference (and a small one) to what's gone before, because I'm pretty sure we've managed two periods in the last decade when we've finished 5th or 6th for three seasons running.

Still a massive improvement on the last two seasons though dave mate. Looks like we've already scored more playing hoofball mate !

We'll be top 6th or 7th mate. We're there or thereabouts where this club is always supposed to be in the past decade right now.

That's the whole point of this thread: to gauge whether we can hold on to the brighter end of the typical Everton finish spectrum or drift out again to 7th.

Apart from the past two seasons you mean. You haven't even stuck to the thread title yourself because I've seen you slagging off Baines, Mirallas and Jags as per usual.

Still a massive improvement on the last two seasons though dave mate. Looks like we've already scored more playing hoofball mate !

Apart from the past two seasons you mean. You haven't even stuck to the thread title yourself because I've seen you slagging off Baines, Mirallas and Jags as per usual.

Unbelievable performance would be the type of thing Martinez would say after a dire 0-0 draw at home to WBA. Maybe Lampard was trolling him by using that word when we have actually done something half decent.

If Dave channeled his undoubted persistence, determination and unshakable mentality into something productive, I dare say he would be one hell of a musician/artist/sportsman. Actually makes me sad to see such potential squandered on an Internet forum, you chose the wrong medium man.

Is it too much to ask to stay on topic?

All those issues are for other threads.

This is about whether this is the highpoint of the season....and, perhaps as a rider to that question, and in the event of Lukaku's sale, whether this could be the highpoint of the next few seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back