6 + 2 Point Deductions

With a new stadium on the horizon we are potentially only a few transfer windows of shrewd/lucky business away from being a club who might conceivably get in and around the European places. It's not entirely surprising the Premier league, which let's not forget is just the other premier league club owners, might be keen to stick the boot in. United and Chelsea have already been relegated to also rans, its not a good look for their business models.

Inappropriate Language
The big money clubs won’t get found guilty of any ffp breaches. Be all kicked into the long grass. These type of punishments will only apply to low hanging fruit clubs like us.

I wouldnt even raise an eyebrow in surprise that if this government football regulator thing comes in some bullsh!t like everyone now starts with a clean slate materializes.

We admitted the lower breach probably in October after lots of our attempted mitigations were thrown out. Our initial stance in March would have been full compliance. Otherwise why would player X and all the other nonsense in the report be mentioned. They wouldn’t be argued as mitigations if they had already been included/deducted from our claimed losses. Admittedly, some of them were fanciful at best, certainly unquantifiable , and we dug the hole in the first place years ago, so we are culpable. But not sure what the agenda has become in here. The strongest arguments now seem to be “we deserve it.” Can’t ignore the fact the report disappears up its own arse in contradictions

Exactly.

We've stated facts (or at least audited financially correct facts) and admitted guilt.

It was then about the severity and making a case as to why x, y, and z should be part of P&S or not.

Hence it has a case to appeal and why the harsh penalty is being mooted as politically motivated because to the majority of people it seems very harsh.

It has already happened with Sheff Utd and West Ham. There is a clear precedent.

If you read the tweets it deals with the dispute between Sheff Utd and West Ham and how it was quite difference and settled between the two clubs; no points penalty was given.

Their dispute was over Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano and the impact (not least one scoring for West Ham against Sheff Utd in the final game that sent them down).

But please read the tweets

A lot of people are calling for City and Chelsea to be punished so that relegation is a certainty.

I don't think it will happen, purely because the moment they are relegated from the EPL, she championship will not be their next stop.
They'd immediately be on the blower to Barca, Madrid etc and set up the ESL. Then the other teams would be pretty quickly after them.

However, how can they claim to not be a corrupt organisation entirely intent on lining their own pockets, if they don't. They've put themselves in a very difficult position, unless, as I suspect, they either change the rules or just simply find them innocent.

Most of the football world reacted instantly to the news of the deduction before they had read the report. The media generally wants to sensationalise the story and the best way to do that is to instantly take a contrary point of view. The report itself was thorough and stated exactly why they didn't give some of our counterclaims much weight.

Most of the football world also wants to apportion blame to someone or something.

We'll see what happens on appeal but in regard to me, I can't get too worked up about things I can't control but I can try and understand the reasoning of why certain things happen without allowing my bias to creep in. For me, too many have leapt on the "we're the only club to have had points deducted" bandwagon when in fact, it isn't the case.

I have said all along this is a game. Everyone is playing it. The Prem, our owners, the media etc. I don't expect the 10 pts deduction to stick but I do accept that we have admitted guilt and that there must be a consequence to that. Seems to me that a lot of folks here can't or won't accept the basic fact that we accepted guilt and that our owner put us in this position to start with. That's my argument.
I think you are a wind up.

Exactly.

We've stated facts (or at least audited financially correct facts) and admitted guilt.

It was then about the severity and making a case as to why x, y, and z should be part of P&S or not.

Hence it has a case to appeal and why the harsh penalty is being mooted as politically motivated because to the majority of people it seems very harsh.
Wigan 12 points, Bolton 12 points, Bury 12 points, Coventry 10 points, Sheff Wed 12 points, Luton 30 points and Derby 21 points.

A lot of people are calling for City and Chelsea to be punished so that relegation is a certainty.

I don't think it will happen, purely because the moment they are relegated from the EPL, she championship will not be their next stop.
They'd immediately be on the blower to Barca, Madrid etc and set up the ESL. Then the other teams would be pretty quickly after them.

However, how can they claim to not be a corrupt organisation entirely intent on lining their own pockets, if they don't. They've put themselves in a very difficult position, unless, as I suspect, they either change the rules or just simply find them innocent.
Same will use the line can't punish the fans then, will be different set of rules when both of threm get to that position.

If you read the tweets it deals with the dispute between Sheff Utd and West Ham and how it was quite difference and settled between the two clubs; no points penalty was given.

Their dispute was over Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano and the impact (not least one scoring for West Ham against Sheff Utd in the final game that sent them down).

Yeah the Tevez case is some cause for concern but it's a very different set of circumstances. In that case there is clear and specific causation between the offence and the harm caused which makes the awarding of compensation easier.

In this case the causation between us spending some money and other clubs getting relegated is a bit more hypothetical. Indeed, the fact multiple clubs seem to be claiming that we relegated them specifically shows you how unclear it is. If it was clear and obvious that we caused one specific club to be relegated then there wouldn't be competing claims.

Last edited:
I think we're in vigorous agreement
Yeah the Tevez case is some cause for concern but it's a very different set of circumstances. In that case there is clear and specific causation between the offence and the harm caused which makes the awarding of compensation.

In this case the causation between us spending some money and other clubs getting relegated is a bit more hypothetical. Indeed, the fact multiple clubs seem to be claiming that we relegated them specifically shows you how unclear it is. If it was clear and obvious that we caused one specific club to be relegated then there wouldn't be competing claims.

Why would I read the tweets.

West Ham won 1-0 at Man United on the final day not Sheffield United. Sheffield United lost 2-1 at home to Wigan who were 3 points behind them going into the last match.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back