6 + 2 Point Deductions

That is why companies have a range of sponsors and a range of revenue streams. The idea is to protect yourself from unforeseen circumstances. We didn't do that because the USM sponsorships were not genuine. They were just a way of Usmanov pumping money into the club.

Companies sponsor high-profile sports teams to improve brand recognition. USM was a holding company that gained absolutely nothing from sponsoring Everton.

It is very telling that Arsenal's board did everything they could to prevent Usmanov-Moshiri from gaining a seat on the board and refused to sell their shares to them. We turned a blind eye and paid the price.
Disagree.

Prove what you have just written.

No other club in the league will have backup sponsorships in case a war breaks out. The idea behind sponsorships is that someone wants to be on your shirt/plastered over your stadium/ etc. Nobody’s get these sponsorships and then continues in case something happens. Yes, clubs will have a few sponsors but none to the extend that you are saying.

Arsenal's boardroom is gripped by fresh tensions, with Alisher Usmanov set to confront Ivan Gazidis over claims that advisers to the club's directors ordered an investigation into Usmanov's prison past in the Soviet Union.

The Russian is the second-biggest shareholder at Arsenal, and his purchase of £75m-worth of the club's shares two years ago was met with resistance from fans, shareholders and directors alike. But despite that past hostility, revelations on Channel Four's Dispatches programme on Monday night that a private investigator was hired by a company working for the Arsenal board came as a shock to the oligarch.

The investigator visited Tashkent, where Usmanov spent six years in jail, while working on a brief to uncover details about his conviction and its subsequent annulment by Russian and Uzbek courts.

Arsenal wanted nothing to do with Usmanov. We now have fans whining because he was sanctioned and we lost out on his blood money. While crying about everyone else being corrupt.

God you are boring Baileyjon, hopefully the French police turn up at your door and do the right thing again like they did in Paris last year because having to read your inane tripe is the equivalent to being violently mugged for a ticket and trampled on to climb a fence.

Personally I’m not a fan of howling at the moon over any perceived injustice real or imagined.
I also dislike adopting woe is us , victim status.
Act like a victim and you will become a victim .
Let’s us help fight to overcome this setback where it matters, on the pitch.
As supporters I hope we rise above this and support the team to safety and beyond.
Take this massive setback on the chin and come back fighting, not throwing tantrums.
Let’s concentrate on winning not whining.

Disagree. You're a victim if you don't fight back.

To accept this as a justified punishment is brain rot.

Either you challenge and succeed or your can be like that weird Mike on here who revels in his dumbfounded "told you so".

The sponsorship stuff, people will argue we were getting over market rate so it was dodgy anyway. That’s not under investigation, and is the norm. The “we could have sold players for more” attempts are massively unquantifiable. The player X one is ususual, but I think a very very reasonable stance. Not saying we sell him for £20m, but it is a fair point. In the end, I think the sheer number of arguable reasons do add up to enough that should have been considered.

The regs seemingly do not allow for subjective adjustments for unforeseen events which is always an issue, just as the FIA regs meant Carlos Sainz still got a penalty for a manhole cover on the Vegas strip destroying his engine and battery. As per the regs, but totally rediculous and unsporting in the extreme.

As appalling, contradictory and attacking as I think the report is, the fact is it says no deliberate attempt to breach (but maybe lazy presumption that everything would be ok), and no sporting advantage.

We’ve operated a salary cap! Never heard that mentioned until yesterday.

I’ve forgotten now what the P&S rules are supposed to achieve such is the misinformation. If it’s to stop billionaires ploughing money in to fast track up the table. Not guilty - because no sporting advantage per the findings. If it’s to stop going clubs going bust, then attempting to relegate a team operating on the breadline thus reducing the sale value of their players, sponsorship income, TV income, then it doesn’t achieve that sim either. Not sure anyone knows what it’s supposed to be for. Which is why they will bin it as soon as our appeal is finalised, new regulator will come in, who have hilariously already said no points deductions going forward.

I actually give up with it all now. Time to just watch football again which used to be the whole point.
Keep the good fight fella 💪

Disagree.

Prove what you have just written.

No other club in the league will have backup sponsorships in case a war breaks out. The idea behind sponsorships is that someone wants to be on your shirt/plastered over your stadium/ etc. Nobody’s get these sponsorships and then continues in case something happens. Yes, clubs will have a few sponsors but none to the extend that you are saying.
It isn't about having backup sponsors it is about basically having a dodgy oligarch being behind the vast majority of our sponsorship deals. I mean why the hell would a holding company sponsor a football club? Why would anyone pay £30m for the first option on Stadium naming rights? Why would someone apparently be in negotiations to pay £10m a season for a stadium that hadn't even been built?

We knew full well it was dodgy but turned a blind eye.

Why should we get permissible deductions just because the authorities finally caught up with Usmanov?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back