6 + 2 Point Deductions

Hot off the press !!!

@theesk has put together his first review of the independent commission that considered the alleged breaching of Premier League Profit and Sustainability regulations and the resulting sporting sanction imposed on the current manager, players and most of all the fans for problems completely the fault of an incompetent owner and now departed incompetent Board of Directors.

I wouldnt even raise an eyebrow in surprise that if this government football regulator thing comes in some bullsh!t like everyone now starts with a clean slate materializes.

The wheels will be being greased as we speak. Drag it out as long as possible that ultimately everyone forgets. Hope for a new scandal. Like in politics.

The commission called it being less than frank and stated that we failed to act in the utmost good faith. It then used it as an aggravating factor.
if the panel also opined that the worldwide pandemic and a European war that put paid to our biggest sponsors not being a material fact I would have to call into question their judgement and/or impartiality.

It isn't about having backup sponsors it is about basically having a dodgy oligarch being behind the vast majority of our sponsorship deals. I mean why the hell would a holding company sponsor a football club? Why would anyone pay £30m for the first option on Stadium naming rights? Why would someone apparently be in negotiations to pay £10m a season for a stadium that hadn't even been built?

We knew full well it was dodgy but turned a blind eye.

Why should we get permissible deductions just because the authorities finally caught up with Usmanov?
I think you have to ask yourself why wouldn’t they. If a club you are involved with is about to build a new stadium why would you NOT want to sponsor it.

I get you saying dodgy…. But it only became dodgy when Russia invaded Ukraine, that’s my point. We should have pressed that matter. That had nothing to do with Everton and ultimately cost us money in the present and the future. Simple as really.

Two things for me.

Are we guilty and do we deserve -10?

Yes, to the first. Of course we are, and not because of Covid or Ukraine. But because we are a terribly run football club.

As to the second, of course not. An obscene punishment that does not fit the crime. Everyone who is being honest can see we are being thrown under the bus due to the impending regulator.

Once again,the Arsenal experience has nothing to do with us.
Moshiri bought the club in 2016 and USM investment/sponsorship followed pretty quickly so we had close to 6 years being supported by them with no complaints from the PL.
Moshiri was deemed to be a fit and proper person to own a PL club(whether backed by Usmanov or not) and until the invasion of Ukraine by Russia that would have continued so the war in Ukraine is a major mitigating factor.

We are not whining about Usmanov we are angry about the wholly disproportionate sanction taken by the PL/commission over a technical accounting breach that has yielded a punishment that is worse than going into administration.
Perfect summary

It would appear to me based on the reading I have done, that in mitigation the Ukraine war and the inability to sell Player X really hadn’t been substantiated with any sort of audit trail / paperwork which is partially why those arguments were dismissed. I agree with most that the judgment has been harsh and the sanctions clearly motivated by a political agenda, but we may have been more successful, if we had paperwork to back up our mitigation if we had been ran well like a proper football club and actually prepared our case better.

Lol
What the new owner who splashed 800m in two transfer windows. That new owner.
Just a question, did Gwladysknight post any posts regarding our recent wins against West Ham and Palace? Or Does he or she only post when we a getting a kicking? As suspected 1 post about Bill kenwrights passing and not a post for a month. True blue my arse.

I think you have to ask yourself why wouldn’t they. If a club you are involved with is about to build a new stadium why would you NOT want to sponsor it.

I get you saying dodgy…. But it only became dodgy when Russia invaded Ukraine, that’s my point. We should have pressed that matter. That had nothing to do with Everton and ultimately cost us money in the present and the future. Simple as really.
Also calls into question the robustness of the prems “fit and proper person” test… they gave the green light to a host of shady characters in the pursuit of enhancing their brand and continue to do so with sport washing in the north east.

Yesterdays oligarch is tomorrows emir but the cash tilts the scales of decision for Masters and his cabal of crooks.

It would appear to me based on the reading I have done, that in mitigation the Ukraine war and the inability to sell Player X really hadn’t been substantiated with any sort of audit trail / paperwork which is partially why those arguments were dismissed. I agree with most that the judgment has been harsh and the sanctions clearly motivated by a political agenda, but we may have been more successful, if we had paperwork to back up our mitigation if we had been ran well like a proper football club and actually prepared our case better.
If we’d been ran well we wouldn’t have got into the mire in the first place though!

and one of our strands of mitigation was that we bought player Y (understood to be Tosun) he didnt work out, he didnt fit the English game so a continental sale was the best bet but the Covid pandemic stopped the international transfer market almost dead.
We were in the process of selling Tosun to Palace where he was on loan during the relevant period and he knackered his ACL thus missing out on a transfer fee.
We had a chance to sell him to Besiktas as well and he suffered another major injury just after returning from his ACL problems.

We are truly cursed!

I wouldnt even raise an eyebrow in surprise that if this government football regulator thing comes in some bullsh!t like everyone now starts with a clean slate materializes.
I was literally saying that to a mate earlier. They decide that they don’t want to investigate historical issues. So we will end up being the only ones ever charged with anything.

If we’d been ran well we wouldn’t have got into the mire in the first place though!

True but if we aren't pushing the envelope to improve then we may as well give up now as I don't really want to support a team that are just happy to be in the PL. I understand why we took risks and as always we got the worst possible outcomes due to world events screwing us over.

Basically in accounting terms when trying to budget across the three year period we have to assume the lowest values. That we'll finish 17th for our placement payment. That any player we buy will do an ACL or have a double leg break and become immediately worthless. That if our shirt/kit sponsors are due to expire during the period that we'll only get 25% of what we had. And if we take that all onboard to avoid any penalties then we'll end up with the equivalent of 11 Shane Long's.

...Which is exactly what the top clubs want as we'll cease to become a threat to their incomes.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back