A new sense of expectation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this moment in time the only sense I have is one of dread! It scares me silly to see some of the names being mentioned to take the job! SSN just put the "top 8" in the betting up on screen and 5 of them would be a disaster at the club, christ only knows what the list below those 8 looks like.

Think its going to be a nervous few weeks until the new "name" is announced and only then will I have a sense of expectation!

I´m ambivalent as well.

On the one hand Moyes was a marvelous manager for getting us out of the dark place of the 90s, on the other he might as well go since he was never going to recieve the financial backing he deserved here. If he had, I believe we would have won things, and I also believe he´ll be a massive success at United.

At the end of his reign certain things started to become pathological at the club.
There was a increasing feeling that Moyes had become bigger than the club, and that we as Evertonians should be forever grateful for his loyalty and patience with our broke, inept leadership.

Things seemed to be in a perpetual status quo with Moyes in charge during the latter years, the proverbial glass ceiling if you will. I have the feeling we could have played another 100 matches away to Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool still not have won. Everton under Moyes were simply not capable of it.
Part of that is due to never truly having enough quality in the squad, but part is also due to the manager who seemed to fester in a mentality of negativity. A big reason for this, I feel, is the fact that he was never under any pressure to succeed at Everton. His job was never in question and limited spending power provided an apt excuse. Stability was paramount, success a disposable luxury.

I also feel he´s been in Uniteds pocket for years and I´m glad to finally let som fresh air in.

As far as league positions go, I think we´ll be worse off under the next manager.

Last edited:
I´m ambivalent as well.

On the one hand Moyes was a marvelous manager for getting us out of the dark place of the 90s, on the other he might as well go since he was never going to recieve the financial backing he deserved here. If he had, I believe we would have won things, and I also believe he´ll be a massive success at United.

At the end of his reign certain things started to become pathological at the club.
There was a increasing feeling that Moyes had become bigger than the club, and that we as Evertonians should be forever grateful for his loyalty and patience with our broke, inept leadership.

Things seemed to be in a perpetual status quo with Moyes in charge during the latter years, the proverbial glass ceiling if you will. I have the feeling we could have played another 100 matches away to Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool still not have won. Everton under Moyes were simply not capable of it.
Part of that is due to never truly having enough quality in the squad, but part is also due to the manager who seemed to fester in a mentality of negativity. A big reason for this, I feel, is the fact that he was never under any pressure to succeed at Everton. His job was never in question and limited spending power provided an apt excuse. Stability was paramount, success a disposable luxury.

I also feel he´s been in Uniteds pocket for years and I´m glad to finally let som fresh air in.

As far as league positions go, I think we´ll be worse off under the next manager.

Well said.

If we get a good manager - I think we will perform better than we did this season, imo Moyes and Everton under-performed this season.

If we get a good manager - I think we will perform better than we did this season, imo Moyes and Everton under-performed this season.

I'm in this boat too. It's going to be a massive challenge to overcome but I firmly think we can. Getting the right man in is pivotal.

I´m ambivalent as well.

Agree with 90% of that. I don't think he'll be a big success at United. With Mourinho at Chelsea I can't see Utd winning the league and they are inferior in Europe. 2 years without a trophy and they'll panic and jib him.

how can anybody be exited with our board? we know were skint... were not an attractive choice apart from a "wage earner" we wont push on and we will more likely falter.... prove me wrong everton

It will be nice to freshen things up a bit see how another person would play the team but yeah, I'd rather him stay

Joined the forum yesterday :)

This is difficult to come to terms with, sad and a disappointing time for the club.

Moyes turned us into a stable top 8 side, got us finishing top four one season, two consecutive fifth place finishes, then good stable 7th/8th place finishes over the past couple of seasons.

He brought well, got the players playing as a team, produced a good unit of players, who are capable of beating the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea etc... has produced some good cup runs.

No trophies, but he turned our club around, he did very well at Everton, and I wish him all the best at Manchester United.

Kenwright and co, need to get this next appointment right now, it will be hard for them to move on, but we have to.

I agree with DOM1878. I think David Moyes will find life very different and very hard at Utd.
At Everton,he was hailed for every good thing he did and when things didn't go well there was the excuse about lack of funds,injuries,small squad,glass ceiling.
Over the last ten years we have become plucky little Everton ,punching above our weight because of our manager who was being held back by the constraints mentioned above.
Next season will tell us if that is true.
David Moyes has been most successful at assembling a really good squad at Everton and imo least successful in getting most from them.

To be fair, for all of Kenwrongs downfalls, his best ever decision was the signing of Moyes in the first place. This gives me some confidence that he will find a good replacement, not necessarily one who is currently in the running.

But whoever takes over, I think we have to expect to struggle in terms of league finishes compared to what we're used to under Moyes for at least a year or two.

I´m ambivalent as well.

I hear that.

Moyes' limitations:

1) Generally only had one game plan- a hardworking forward running down the channels and a goalscoring midfielder in the hole.
2) He would use the same players week in week out even if they were woefully out of form or unfit.
3) He'd rather play for a draw than go for the three points and risk losing.
4) Despite what he might say he rarely gave youth a chance.
5) He didn't know how to spring a surprise on the opposition or to change a game.
6) He took goalscorers and turned them into work horses.

His methods got us to the cusp of European football but the 'bit of magic' that eluded him might not have been a player after all but tactical creativity instead. If we can get the right man in there should be money to spend in the summer. Players like Duffy, Oviedo, Barkley and Vellios should become more integrated with the first team squad and, hopefully, Jelavic will be given a partner and allowed to go back to poaching goals.

The concern is that, without Moyes pushing them so hard, players like Gibson, Osman, Pienaar and Anichebe could very quickly become very ordinary.

I´m ambivalent as well.

Agree with the majority of that post. IF and its a big IF, but if the new man can turn some of them draws into wins and play players on form then maybe our league position won't suffer.

I'll be grateful for the stabilty and foundations he has laid at the club, however i tend to agree with the general concensus that we were stagnating under moyes, i really thought this season we would push on and get in europe now i fear we will be stripped of our valuable assets and forced to rebuild from the bottom up. So can we please say goodbye to these wastrels heitenga/osman/hibbert/neville/felliani/moyes and bring in Duffy/Barkley/Kevin Strootman/Vitor Pereira(manager)/Benteke/Maloney as push on for champs lge next season...COYB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back