2021/22 Abdoulaye Doucouré

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah they were average. If there are inarguably six or seven better midfields over the course of a season than you then the best you can do is average. Better than Gomes and Davies isn't the standard for measuring that for me.
I'm looking at them against our squad mate, not unattainable players operating for other clubs in the league.

If your comparing them both to, say, Kevin De Bruyne, Ngolo Kante, gundogan or Bruno Fernandes - ok, I understand you could label Allan and Doucs "average".

However, we matched up and beat a number of the so called top clubs and their top midfielders, last season with Allan and Doucs in our midfield, so does that mean they are still "average"?

I'm looking at them against our squad mate, not unattainable players operating for other clubs in the league.

If your comparing them both to, say, Kevin De Bruyne, Ngolo Kante, gundogan or Bruno Fernandes - ok, I understand you could label Allan and Doucs "average".

However, we matched up and beat a number of the so called top clubs and their top midfielders, last season with Allan and Doucs in our midfield, so does that mean they are still "average"?
Yes they're are still average because using the results logic (which is bad logic for judging individuals but I digress) they also lost to a lot of lower clubs. I think Benitez might have us playing in a way that gets more out of them this season, he's not asking them to pass so that's a start, but it was one game and I'm not going to make sweeping conclusions yet. But I am really encouraged by how Abdoulaye actually did things with all the running!

They were both very average last year. But before anyone flips out Doucoure was better Saturday than at any point last year for my money. That type of performance (minus the stunning goal) becoming his baseline would be massive.
He was playing a different more defensive role last season, he seems to have freedom to get forward more this season, the manager has even set a goal target for him.

He was playing a different more defensive role last season, he seems to have freedom to get forward more this season, the manager has even set a goal target for him.
I question how feasible that will be if we play a two man midfield all year but I do agree he's not going to be at his best unless he's scoring some. I'd like to see Gbamin and him together. They could cover the space.

I question how feasible that will be if we play a two man midfield all year but I do agree he's not going to be at his best unless he's scoring some. I'd like to see Gbamin and him together. They could cover the space.
I'd still like to see us play 433.
I prefer to see Doucoure in an advanced role within a 3 man midfield so that he can press higher up the pitch and get into the box.
Does that mean we need a new DM or can Gbamin play that role - not too sure.

I prefer to see Doucoure in an advanced role within a 3 man midfield so that he can press higher up the pitch and get into the box.
I also think it leaves Richarlison a bit in limbo and we probably don't have the creativity on the right to make up for it once James goes. Tough one because I agree about midfield.

Anguissa.

I also think it leaves Richarlison a bit in limbo and we probably don't have the creativity on the right to make up for it once James goes. Tough one because I agree about midfield.
I'm happy enough with a front 3 of Richarlison DCL and A.N.Other
With a midfield of Doucoure and Allan with a Gana type player sitting in front of the back 4.
Sure it's not perfect but good enough until we clear the deadwood and have headroom to sign some really decent players.
We absolutely need a RB and wide right attacker.
If our finances are as bad as it appears then perhaps Grey as wide right and just bring in someone like Dalot on loan or this Buta guy on a small fee ( never heard of him but Brands must get one right eventually )
I guess we could get by with Gbamin sitting if he stays fit.

Mate you’ve been on here since 2014, surely you know this isn’t the place for optimism? You need to get on a Incel forum if it’s optimism you’re looking fHa,
It's a genetic disorder. Optimism. Right now feel a bit like the start of the 04-05 season....everyone worried about relegation, no major signings, etc, etc. That year turned out alright.

It's a genetic disorder. Optimism. Right now feel a bit like the start of the 04-05 season....everyone worried about relegation, no major signings, etc, etc. That year turned out alright.
I think the 2 major differences between now and then;
1) There was an established top 4 at that point to break into. One of which didn’t perform in the league as they had a champions league to focus on. Now in addition to those 4 you have Spurs who are a better squad, Leicester and Man City who are an absolute force in the game.

2) under Moyes we played to our strengths, we were hard to beat and could play some decent stuff for the majority of his tenure.

Now since him we’ve had no clear direction and our current squad reflects that. You’ve also got the fact the money in the league has gone through the roof (Covid aside) and even mid table teams have the ability to attract half decent players l. I know this has always been the case but it’s been amplified by the gap in money between the Prem and the rest of Europe over the past 5 years

Gives his all every game so he will be liked by fans, we can overlook technical deficiencies as long as you're not total crap and put a shift in. We are quite an easy bunch to please despite our moaning.

We demand effort and that's is our only demand, it's why a lot of us, well all of us, can't stomach the lifeless half arsed performances we've been served these last few years. He needs help though.

Just saw some quotes from him and realized - was that his (and the other new signings last year) first time in front of a full Goodison? Guess they only ever played with a couple thousand in the stadium at most?

It's because it's football managers golden rule, sell at 30 before the decline starts and value decreases, people genuinely think real football works like FM it's mad.
There are teams in real life who do a lot better than us because they operate a transfer system that doesn't pay big fees for players getting closer to the end of their career. You can even read about it if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back