Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Accepting where we are

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungle

Player Valuation: £90m
As the season has progressed I've began to just kind of accept where we are and what we now are as a football club.

We hear all these arguments about whether we're still a big club or not, some base that on fan base, others on trophies won in recent history and others on trophies won in the clubs history as a whole. However what you can't dispute is that we're now a very mediocre club, run in a very mediocre way and we've fallen so far behind clubs who we once considered our rivals that it's frightening.

If you looked at the goings on at another club, say West Ham as an example and saw them bring in Steve Walsh, followed by Allardyce (which they obviously have done), Sammy Lee and Craig Shakespeare we'd have absolutely pissed ourselves but it wouldn't have come as a surprise. We now find ourselves in the position where that's the best we can attract, our players are cherry picked by the top clubs and we aren't a big enough pull to attract players that will haul us back to where we want to be.

So, it saddens me to say that I've accepted what we are as it stands, a poor mid table premier league club which doesn't look like an attractive proposition to the players we need to help us progress, one where the best youth players will be sold off to balance the books, or simply because they request to leave as silverware at Everton is unlikely.

Anyway, there'd be far less angst if we just kind of accepted where we are and stopped trying to pretend we're still something we're not, stop with the utter delusion that pours out of a good number of us. I still have hope that one day we'll get back to the top of English football, but for the time being and with the staff the club currently chose to employ I've put any of those thoughts to the back of my mind.

As the season has progressed I've began to just kind of accept where we are and what we now are as a football club.

We hear all these arguments about whether we're still a big club or not, some base that on fan base, others on trophies won in recent history and others on trophies won in the clubs history as a whole. However what you can't dispute is that we're now a very mediocre club, run in a very mediocre way and we've fallen so far behind clubs who we once considered our rivals that it's frightening.

If you looked at the goings on at another club, say West Ham as an example and saw them bring in Steve Walsh, followed by Allardyce (which they obviously have done), Sammy Lee and Craig Shakespeare we'd have absolutely pissed ourselves but it wouldn't have come as a surprise. We now find ourselves in the position where that's the best we can attract, our players are cherry picked by the top clubs and we aren't a big enough pull to attract players that will haul us back to where we want to be.

So, it saddens me to say that I've accepted what we are as it stands, a poor mid table premier league club which doesn't look like an attractive proposition to the players we need to help us progress, one where the best youth players will be sold off to balance the books, or simply because they request to leave as silverware at Everton is unlikely.

Anyway, there'd be far less angst if we just kind of accepted where we are and stopped trying to pretend we're still something we're not, stop with the utter delusion that pours out of a good number of us. I still have hope that one day we'll get back to the top of English football, but for the time being and with the staff the club currently chose to employ I've put any of those thoughts to the back of my mind.
Fully agree mate

Resigned to the fact we will never attract the best players. However that does not mean we cannot get good coaches onboard who can manage to get the team to gel and perform. We could do a Leicester!

I accept that we have the players and management in place to achieve a mid-table finish this season

I will be less accepting if we begin the 2018/19 season in the same state

I accept that we have the players and management in place to achieve a mid-table finish this season

I will be less accepting if we begin the 2018/19 season in the same state

But why, why do that to yourself? What can change enough between now and the end of the season to mean that we start the 18/19 season in a position that means the future looks bright? Moshiri still won't have paid for the rest of the shares, Elstone will still be bouncing round playing angry birds on the tanning bed, we'll no doubt have received no further news on stadium plans and we'll have sold a couple more players to enable the purchase of players that are either looking to re-build their career or those that can't make it at top clubs and within 6 months demonstrate exactly why they didn't make it when given the chance.

Sadly the opportunity to close the gap has passed us by and I genuinely think we're about where we should be in the league. Someone mentioned how small the gap between us and Tottenham was just a few seasons ago, they pushed on as have others and we got left behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back