Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Accepting where we are

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey mate it does make a difference. Yes you can't make much of a direct difference with who we buy, what manager we hire but Everton works like a big clock. You have the face of the clock, which is the matches we play. Behind the clock sits lots of cogs which make the clock run on time. Some of our cogs are who the manager is. That is a major one. What players we have-another big one. But there are smaller ones as well, like, the kit man, the canteen staff, the youth team, the scouting system. Some of these cogs are bigger than others and some are just small but they all need to be working for us to be successful. One of the main cogs is the fan base. How they are feeling, what they expect on match day, what they think of a new signing. It is very important.
One of the main reason Everton fans are so angry this season is because of the expectation that was put out at the start of the season. Not only has it not been met but it has been shocking. Wasting all that money and it has made the fan base furious. Each time another bad decision is made (like hiring Big Sam in my opinion) if gets worse. The fan base 'cog' is not running smoothly and because it is a major one if has a big effect. Pressure builds, the feeling around the club changes for the worse, players who normally don't mess up start making stupid passes. It has a knock on effect.
Think about this...If you child came up to you and said,"Dad I'm going to be a millionaire when I'm older!" Most people would say something negative-like in your dreams or good luck with that. Some may be supportive and say something like, you can do it. However, if a billionaire had a son and he came up to him and said, "Dad I want to be a millionaire!" He would probably get slapped or told to think bigger, at the very least he is going to get a good stern talking to.
Here is my point. EVERYONE at Everton needs to have a very high standard. We used to but it has gone. The collective thinking is important to the team, just as the collective thinking of a family is important. We need (as
much as we can) to all be singing from the same song sheet.
It's not your fault about feeling crap if you look at what you have gone through. It is the same with a lot of fans and you came onboard just after the 80's which means you missed some good years. You have now had years of dodgy decisions and some really bad match days. It's heart breaking and Year on Year, season season it gets to you. But try to believe we can turn this around because you are an important part of this club. One of the most important parts-You are part of the mighty Everton fan base and it is a vital part of our club. We need you to believe!
I'm one person and I rarely go the match. See Mental Health thread for why. If West Brom beat us this weekend, blame me, cos we always lose when I'm there. Even if I wanted Mourinho, what difference would it make? I don't know Sam Allardyce or Farhad Moshiri, I can't influence the things they do. And being blamed for Everton's loss of form sucks, if I'm honest. I always thought that me having an effect on Everton's results was a delusion - at least, that's what I've been told. I genuinely believed I could influence Everton's results and that me going the match was the reason we always lost, and that I had some form of control over the team. So I do, after all? And how is me whingeing incessantly on GOT going to make a difference?

Also, I don't have kids, and if I did, it would be 'Mum', not 'Dad'.

Nah Bungs.

We accept mediocrity now, then what next? Accept relegation battles every week? It is a dangerous game. It is okay understanding where we are, but accepting it is just NO. Those who we call custodians must understand that we demand the best. Players who sign for the club and pull on that royal blue jersey must have no doubt that we demand the best. Even if we are not in a position at the time to get the best, we must keep on demanding it.

I'm shocked by some of the fans in this thread who appear more than ready to meekly lie down.
3 words only........Kenwright, Elstone, Moshiri...its not the fans' fault we are crap...look no further than those 3. Yes we can keep on demanding the best, but who the hell is actually listening to us ???? Bad managerial choices, sponsorship deals, failed ground schemes, publicity cock ups, this has been going on since 1989....oh wait, new ground??? In 4,5,6 years ? Nobody knows do they? Can you honestly blame fans for being a little pessimistic about our future? The whole club needs to change its present attitude..and that imo has to come from the "top" down.

3 words only........Kenwright, Elstone, Moshiri...its not the fans' fault we are crap...look no further than those 3. Yes we can keep on demanding the best, but who the hell is actually listening to us ???? Bad managerial choices, sponsorship deals, failed ground schemes, publicity cock ups, this has been going on since 1989....oh wait, new ground??? In 4,5,6 years ? Nobody knows do they? Can you honestly blame fans for being a little pessimistic about our future? The whole club needs to change its present attitude..and that imo has to come from the "top" down.

I've never blamed our supporters for how the club has performed in recent history. Actually, without those supporters being so verve, then we could very well have slipped up even worse. My problem is supporters accepting that our current predicament is the norm. Evertonians have always had and expected high standards right through the clubs history. If those standards start to be diminished then we are in trouble. I'm sure our custodians would love it if we accepted mediocrity.

I understand the pessimism, but we shouldn't rest up until we are back at the top of the tree.

Joe one day you will know how it feels to walk to Goodison with the early summer sun shining and the hum of excitement and expectation hitting you before you see the ground in a title year. You'll know that electricity of the unknown as the lads come out on a finals night in Europe when they are simply irresistible.

Just get through this travesty of a manager's tenure and enjoy the journey back to the top. Go watch the 80s team. A team all playing to their best with everyone behind them. It's more than possible.

Never accept this.
I hope so. but with football the way it is now with finances, you can't really see a way of getting to that level, no more than a Leicester (again)

Maybe I’m a pessimist, but as a blue who has never seen everton win a trophy, I’m just accepting that I maybe never will. Please somebody, give me some optimism that I will!
I'm lucky enough to remember the 80's, its fans like you who I would love to see us win a trophy for.
Shine on lad.

I hope so. but with football the way it is now with finances, you can't really see a way of getting to that level, no more than a Leicester (again)
If a team of young players like United's class of 92 came through now with the right manager and a couple of canny old pros and a magician like Cantona, would you give them a chance? Say a team with half the U23 world cup winning squad in it? There's a way right there. How bad is it that we are supposed to accept Big Fat Sam addled mediocrity?

I've never blamed our supporters for how the club has performed in recent history. Actually, without those supporters being so verve, then we could very well have slipped up even worse. My problem is supporters accepting that our current predicament is the norm. Evertonians have always had and expected high standards right through the clubs history. If those standards start to be diminished then we are in trouble. I'm sure our custodians would love it if we accepted mediocrity.

I understand the pessimism, but we shouldn't rest up until we are back at the top of the tree.

The expectation may be there but the reality doesn't really stack up.

We have always been consistent more than anything. Regular top flight football with some very good sides at points. We have never really been dominant though. A couple of years of success followed by a decade or so of being fairly average. We still hold that pattern now only with a lack of a trophy or two to go with it.

Exactly.If were broken to the point, where we think that Everton, will no longer win league titles and cups, then we may as well shut down the entire operation imo.When we won our last league title, we were ahead of both Manchester United and Arsenal in the role of honour.Recent successes notwithstanding, but we are historically a much bigger and more illustrious club than both Manchester City and Chelsea as well.

But why would you do that? Recent history is still history. Chelsea have won the Champions League, two cup winners cups, the Europa League, two more FA Cups than us, over half as many league titles in the last 13 years alone as we've won in our history, and 5 League cups, which we've never won. They are a bigger club than us.

What can we as fans do? Not go to matches (and I don't anyway as a rule)? Send Allardyce or Kenwright death threats? Have a sit-in? Scream abuse at the players? Smash up Goodison Park? I mean, if I cheer the team, even if we lose or draw, I'll probably get accused of accepting mediocrity for not booing them off instead. I always cheered the team on in the late 90s, did we magically get better? No, we did not.

End of the day, me whingeing on GOT will do nothing. Nichts. Nada. Nul. Sam Allardyce does not care what I think. Bill Kenwright does not care what I think. Neither does Moshiri, and neither do the squad. And why should they? I'm no-one to them. I don't NEED to have a high standard, I don't need to do anything. If I expect Everton to be United, all I'll get is endless disappointment and people calling me delusional.

Exactly. The whole point of Everton Football Club is to be the best. The club was born and built upon being the best, and doing it with style and class. Our fathers and grandfathers never settled for second best, and here we are talking about settling for also-rans.

If this is how Evertonians are thinking they we may as well not exist at all. To those who are seriously adopting this attitude; all I can say is GTFO.

Our recent history hasn't lived up to expectations; fair enough. Our recent history doesn't define who we are.

NIL SATIS is not just a fancy marketing logo. It is this club. Evertonians need to be reminded, and we need to DEMAND it.
What, so I'm supposed to switch teams just because I don't expect Everton to be Chelsea?

How do we demand it? What do you propose we do as fans? I want something concrete here.

Exactly.If were broken to the point, where we think that Everton, will no longer win league titles and cups, then we may as well shut down the entire operation imo.When we won our last league title, we were ahead of both Manchester United and Arsenal in the role of honour.Recent successes notwithstanding, but we are historically a much bigger and more illustrious club than both Manchester City and Chelsea as well.

Chelsea have always had glamour though. Their location the main cause of that one.

I wasn't around in the 60's but was Everton fashionable then? Certainly haven't been in my lifetime. No iconic managers, run down stadium. The only really iconic thing is Dixie Dean, but he's known solely by us as pre war is ignored. Handing out sweets is about it (bit like West Ham and their bubbles).

We lack an instantly identifiable feature that other clubs have. United (Busby Babes, Best/Law/Charlton, Old Trafford "theatre of dreams"), RS (Shankly, Anfield/The Kop, YNWA), Arsenal have lost some of their lustre by leaving Highbury and the marble halls, but as a club they are still associated with style. Those three have always stood out a mile.

Spurs, they have the London factor, plus are known for their history of classy domestic (Hoddle, Waddle, Gazza) and foreign players (Villa, Ardiles, Klinsmann)..eyecatching football albeit unsuccessful.

Man City are the only ones of the top six who weren't fashionable or have much of an identity prior to the Sheik.

We have the money (over 235 million spent in under 2 years) but we can't draw the top players or a top manager. French journalist Julien Laurens kinda sums up how we are perceived when talking about where Jean Seri could move to:

"It looks like Everton are leading the race. But when you are so close to Barcelona I don't think it's the greatest feeling to be linked with Everton. But he wants to leave and they might let him go for the right price. I still think he is a very good player and he would be a great addition to this Everton team but he could do better."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42620798

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back