Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Accepting where we are

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im

only 57
57+17 = 74
50 yrs supporting
I'm a bit surprised you say that mate ... mainly because you look older than 58 to be honest

:coffee:
Everton does that to you
I remember my first game , beating Sunderland 4-0 at home
Got bitten that day and have seen us win leagues , cup and European cups
It saddens my soul to see the state we are in today
Sam Allydyce as manager of Everton is something I’d never thought I’d see , but with what Roberto and Koeman left us he was the only option
I’m pinning my hopes on Kronke being a stubborn Bar steward and Usmanov jumping ship
It’s the only hope I have left.
My first grandson is due in March after 2 girls and I want to bring him to BMD to watch a winning Everton team playing attractive football

As the season has progressed I've began to just kind of accept where we are and what we now are as a football club.

We hear all these arguments about whether we're still a big club or not, some base that on fan base, others on trophies won in recent history and others on trophies won in the clubs history as a whole. However what you can't dispute is that we're now a very mediocre club, run in a very mediocre way and we've fallen so far behind clubs who we once considered our rivals that it's frightening.

If you looked at the goings on at another club, say West Ham as an example and saw them bring in Steve Walsh, followed by Allardyce (which they obviously have done), Sammy Lee and Craig Shakespeare we'd have absolutely pissed ourselves but it wouldn't have come as a surprise. We now find ourselves in the position where that's the best we can attract, our players are cherry picked by the top clubs and we aren't a big enough pull to attract players that will haul us back to where we want to be.

So, it saddens me to say that I've accepted what we are as it stands, a poor mid table premier league club which doesn't look like an attractive proposition to the players we need to help us progress, one where the best youth players will be sold off to balance the books, or simply because they request to leave as silverware at Everton is unlikely.

Anyway, there'd be far less angst if we just kind of accepted where we are and stopped trying to pretend we're still something we're not, stop with the utter delusion that pours out of a good number of us. I still have hope that one day we'll get back to the top of English football, but for the time being and with the staff the club currently chose to employ I've put any of those thoughts to the back of my mind.

I've been thinking along these lines for the last few weeks. Tottenham were on a different level to us on Saturday. At present we are no different to the likes of Watford and Leicester. I feel our current aim is to remain a top half side until the stadium is built.

It really does pain me to see how far behind the top 6 we are.

How may
I've been thinking along these lines for the last few weeks. Tottenham were on a different level to us on Saturday. At present we are no different to the likes of Watford and Leicester. I feel our current aim is to remain a top half side until the stadium is built.

It really does pain me to see how far behind the top 6 we are.

How many players in our squad would get into any of the top 6 starting 11

Answer Pickford at Liverpool
That’s it no one else

How may

How many players in our squad would get into any of the top 6 starting 11

Answer Pickford at Liverpool
That’s it no one else

Completely agree. I don't believe that Sam should be here long term but I don't blame him for the defeat at Spurs. Our back 4 is really poor. Kenny and Holgate look good but are both very inexperienced. Jagielka would struggle to get in any other Premier League team and Martina is truly dreadful.

We are up a
upload_2018-1-15_20-52-52.webp
without a
Grand-Portage-Paddle-20.jpg

As the season has progressed I've began to just kind of accept where we are and what we now are as a football club.

We hear all these arguments about whether we're still a big club or not, some base that on fan base, others on trophies won in recent history and others on trophies won in the clubs history as a whole. However what you can't dispute is that we're now a very mediocre club, run in a very mediocre way and we've fallen so far behind clubs who we once considered our rivals that it's frightening.

If you looked at the goings on at another club, say West Ham as an example and saw them bring in Steve Walsh, followed by Allardyce (which they obviously have done), Sammy Lee and Craig Shakespeare we'd have absolutely pissed ourselves but it wouldn't have come as a surprise. We now find ourselves in the position where that's the best we can attract, our players are cherry picked by the top clubs and we aren't a big enough pull to attract players that will haul us back to where we want to be.

So, it saddens me to say that I've accepted what we are as it stands, a poor mid table premier league club which doesn't look like an attractive proposition to the players we need to help us progress, one where the best youth players will be sold off to balance the books, or simply because they request to leave as silverware at Everton is unlikely.

Anyway, there'd be far less angst if we just kind of accepted where we are and stopped trying to pretend we're still something we're not, stop with the utter delusion that pours out of a good number of us. I still have hope that one day we'll get back to the top of English football, but for the time being and with the staff the club currently chose to employ I've put any of those thoughts to the back of my mind.
Shush. Bed.

We are where we are because:
  • players like Stones, Lukaku and Barkley feel they are better off playing for other clubs
  • some knee jerk fans are scathing of our lesser experienced young players without thinking of their potential
  • too many changes in management
  • by splashing the cash, without some form of game plan, mistakenly expecting instant success
We will continue to go backwards if we allow Allardyce to continue to spend more money. I can't see us breaking into the top six for the next few years unless our business plan is radically revised. We're very good at recruiting and developing young talent. Why not build a team doing what we're good at rather than spending huge money on players who have limited shelf life. As others have said, we have a young group of players with very good potential to develop into good players.

The chance for our club to get back to where it belongs came when the Man City owners took an interest in the Preimer League. And of course an interest in us.

The chance then went when Everton’s biggest blue decided he was a better fit and sent them down the 62 to Manchester and as they say, the rest is history.

Everton are a huge club and no amount of [Poor language removed], brainless football, and [Poor language removed], brainless decisions from your board will change that. IMO. Just cause you've had a terrible season doesn't mean you're gonna be subjected to Allardyce and co forever.

I used to think this but gradually it's been drained out of me.

I suppose the beauty of football is you can't really predict what's coming next (apart from an Everton derby defeat). Right now I see nothing but misery on the horizon but it doesn't take much for me things to change. Here's hoping hey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back