Aiden McGeady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets just wait and see hey Billy lad?

We all know that he can beat a man. The concern might be that he could be a bit of a 'Beagrie' and that he would take people on and run down blind alleys rather than picking a pass or that he'd get himself past the defender but then not be able to take advantage with a decent cross or shot.

Judging by the stats it would seem that he does have end product though. 7 assists in 13 games is impressive in any of the major European leagues.

He says that he hasn't played for over a month though, so we're probably only going to see glimpses this year and it won't be until next season when we see the best of him.

We all know that he can beat a man. The concern might be that he could be a bit of a 'Beagrie' and that he would take people on and run down blind alleys rather than picking a pass or that he'd get himself past the defender but then not be able to take advantage with a decent cross or shot.

Judging by the stats it would seem that he does have end product though. 7 assists in 13 games is impressive in any of the major European leagues.

He says that he hasn't played for over a month though, so we're probably only going to see glimpses this year and it won't be until next season when we see the best of him.

I'd expect him to be fully fit and raring to go in a month.

....63 international caps is impressive, 3 international goals is not. Saying that, RM has been after him for a while so lets hope his stats with us are better.

If you put in into context of their other attack-minded players it's pretty average.

Coleman 0 in 20
McLean 0 in 18
Stokes 0 in 8
Gibson 1 in 21
McGeady 3 in 63= 1 in 21
Keogh 2 in 30= 1 in 15
Cox 4 in 27= 1 in 6.75
Walter 4 in 24= 1 in 6
Doyle 12 in 57= 1 in 4.75
Long 10 in 43= 1 in 4.3
Keane 62 in 131= 1 in 2.11

He probably won't have completed 90 minutes many times in those 63 appearances either. Recently:

v Poland 63 mins
v Latvia 73 mins
v Kazakhstan 15 mins
v Faroe Islands 77 mins
v Georgia 25 mins
v England 68 mins
v Faroe Islands 90 mins
v Germany 69 mins
v Oman 18 mins
v Kazakhstan 90 mins
v Serbia 79 mins

International
Year Apps Goals Assists
2004 2 0 0
2005 1 0 0
2006 5 0 1
2007 8 0 1
2008 6 0 2
2009 9 0 1
2010 6 0 2
2011 9 2 3
2012 8 0 4
2013 9 1 2
Total 63 3 16

Europe

He didn't play this year or in 2011-12
3 assists in 5 games last year.
1 goal in 12 during his first year in Russia.

His best stats for Celtic were 2007-8 when he provided 4 assists and 1 goal in 10 matches.

Overall 3 goals (1 in 16.66) and 8 assists (1 in 6.25) in 50 games.

If you compare him to someone like Nani (who is the same age):

Overall 5 goals (1 in 11) and 11 assists (1 in 5) in 55 games.

I'd have expected Nani's stats to be higher because United will expect to win most of their games and he has higher quality players around him.

Thanks.

TBH, I think the gulf between the PL (most PL clubs, that is) and the level he's been playing at is vastly overstated. I can see him being a very useful outlet and giving us a change of pace when we require it. Deulofeu has been the only one able to offer us that so far this season.

Anybody know why he's not played that many games while being at Spartak, injuries, form or just never fitted in the team??

This season he has started 9 and came on 4 times. It looks like they're 18 games into the season. Bily has started 0 and been subbed on twice in comparison! Kim Kallstrom has started 6 times. Maybe they think of him as a game-changer?

Thanks.

TBH, I think the gulf between the PL (most PL clubs, that is) and the level he's been playing at is vastly overstated. I can see him being a very useful outlet and giving us a change of pace when we require it. Deulofeu has been the only one able to offer us that so far this season.

Russian clubs and even Celtic tend to hold their own in the Champions League, so there can't be that much in it. If you look at our current options from the bench (Naismith, Oviedo or Gueye) I think it will be a vast improvement for very little outlay.

I'm a little surprised that we signed him in January given what Martinez said about not unsettling the squad and McGeady's reported suspect temperament, but he'll hopefully help us to break stubborn defences down and turn draws into three valuable points.

He seems like an Everton player and, for the fee, it looks like a no-brainer.

i'm a celtic fan so ive seen plenty of him. I've got say for the money everton payed he's a steal, he's 2 footed and equally as good playing left or right and he can play through the middle. He's got tremendous ability for going past players and his game has improved since he went russia. His shooting is what lets him down but he's a player. I'm looking forward too seeing him play under martinez as he's the perfect manager for him imo. I wouldn't worry about whether he can step up because he will.

Russian clubs and even Celtic tend to hold their own in the Champions League, so there can't be that much in it. If you look at our current options from the bench (Naismith, Oviedo or Gueye) I think it will be a vast improvement for very little outlay.

I'm a little surprised that we signed him in January given what Martinez said about not unsettling the squad and McGeady's reported suspect temperament, but he'll hopefully help us to break stubborn defences down and turn draws into three valuable points.

Think the fact we have a solid Irish contingent at the club will help

His ability is undoubted, I think. He just blows hot and cold with it. That said, you can say that about nailed on starters for us now, like Mirallas. He is at the very least an upgrade on Naismith, who quite simply is Championship class at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back