Aiden McGeady

Status
Not open for further replies.
30k a week plus bonus additions. Jelavic was certainly on 40k a week, was on 30k a week for his first year, second year moved to 40k.

If Mcgeady was on more wages than that we would not have signed him because of our wage structure. We have a limit of what we pay players.
No way has he gone to Russia for £30k a week. He's had his big payday and I'm sure he's not daft in that if he wanted to move back to Britain he would have to lower his wages. He could of stayed at Celtic and earned £30k a week ffs

This is exactly how I see it.

Made up.

The first time I saw him was at the Celtic v Everton friendly in July 2006 when he came on as a sub and scored a superb winning goal for them. (FFS like)

Watched him play many times of Ireland and he delights and frustrates in equal measure. The lid oozes talent and can go past players with ease and so can be a joy to watch. As many have already said his final ball can sometimes be a lot to desired. With Ireland he was usually the main attacking threat as the central midfield under the previous management always comprised of 2 defensive midfielders in a rigid 4-4-2 system. That burden seemed too much for him sometimes. At Everton he will be playing with better players and won't be the only attacking outlet so I would expect that he will produce more consistent performances as a result. RM will make him a better player, of that there is no doubt; at half a million squids or so this deal is an absolute steal.

Can't believe half the Ireland team are in the Everton squad. Keep having to pinch myself to remember that I'm not dreaming this.

Together with the type of football we are playing atm and the subsequent results it is producing these are happy, happy days to be both an Everton and an Ireland supporter. :blink::pint::D

Got a good feeling about this transfer, don't know why but I think he will do well. At the least I think he will be a good option off the bench.

It's a good signing for half a million.

Allows us to rotate out wide.

We need a striker now.

Plus another if we can.

I'm expecting two out three in this window.

Four if lucky.

A quick search suggests he was on roughly £40k a week AFTER tax in Russia. So that's the same as £80k a week here. So yeah there is no doubt he has taken a pay cut.

zp_PA-7094751_5272.jpg

As a Celtic fan I think I'm quite fit to supply some of my own (possibly biased) information regarding Aiden. By lurking this thread for a week or so I can see that there are a lot of mixed opinions on his arrival. This was partly the case when he was at Celtic too, but I'd say about 75% of the support loved and appreciated his talent when he was there. Personally I fell into that category, but what I will say though is that at times he can be annoying. The lad has bags of talent and on his day, can be a very exciting and top class player. Really for him its about performing consistently and playing in the right team for him to reach his full potential. And with Everton's fluid, fast and creative football I think they can be the perfect match for him.

In the 07/08 season at Celtic he was tremendous and looked as if he could play for anyone, the 2 more seasons with us after that he was quieter, this was because he would be doubled and tripled up on literally every match, with a lot of the defenders in the SPL kicking him all over the park. At this this time the team was regressing quite significantly, but even so he contributed his fair share of goals and assists, and IMO he pretty much carried the team for these 2 years.

People talk about his sh1te end ball a lot and though it can be frustrating, it is exaggerated. I think he'd be better off here playing as a more of an inside winger, or even behind the striker. A lot of people don't realise that he can be really effective as a CAM too. He's very technically gifted and with the right striker in front of him (Lukaku) he could bag loads of assists. That's only if his decision making has improved, which I hope it has. Before it was so-so but hopefully that has come with maturity, I guess we'll see. I'd love him at Celtic and would have him back in a heartbeat, but with Everton being my second team I am ecstatic he's here. I just hope he delivers and shows what he can do. He's been wanting to play in the PL for a while, so he really should take this great opportunity with both hands and I think he will. What worries me slightly is that he hasn't played for a while, and the pictures of him at Goodison yesterday showed him looking quite overweight. I've never seen him look that big in my life! He's all about pace and agility so he's going to a need a mini pre season and get back into shape ASAP.

Admittedly I haven't seen much of him at Spartak, but from what I hear he was decent in the years he was there, and by no means should he be labeled a flop. I think he made the wrong decision moving there, but getting £40k per week tax free (roughly equivalent to £75k/week here) might tell him different. Anyway he started well and there was a lot of talk about Zenit bidding 27mill for him a year later. I don't think he has been a world beater there and I think niggling injuries might have hampered his progress, but most Spartak fans will tell you he was a good acquisition. By the looks of things they loved him and was definitely a fans favourite, with them being sad to see him go.

In a nutshell - worried, hopeful but most of all excited. Martinez is a smart man, and if he can get the best out of him (Shaun Maloney, Wigan..?) we are in for one hell of a ride. (y)

Last edited:
As a Celtic fan I think I'm quite fit to supply some of my own (possibly biased) information regarding Aiden. By lurking this thread for a week or so I can see that there are a lot of mixed opinions on his arrival. This was partly the case when he was at Celtic too, but I'd say about 75% of the support loved and appreciated his talent when he was there. Personally I fell into that category, but what I will say though is that at times he can be annoying. The lad has bags of talent and on his day, can be a very exciting and top class player. Really for him its about performing consistently and playing in the right team for him to reach his full potential. And with Everton's fluid, fast and creative football I think they can be the perfect match for him.

In the 07/08 season at Celtic he was tremendous and looked as if he could play for anyone, the 2 more seasons with us after that he was quieter, this was because he would be doubled and tripled up on literally every match, with a lot of the defenders in the SPL kicking him all over the park. At this this time the team was regressing quite significantly, but even so he contributed his fair share of goals and assists, and IMO he pretty much carried the team for these 2 years.

People talk about his sh1te end ball a lot and though it can be frustrating, it is exaggerated. I think he'd be better off here playing as a more of an inside winger, or even behind the striker. A lot of people don't realise that he can be really effective as a CAM too. He's very technically gifted and with the right striker in front of him (Lukaku) he could bag loads of assists. I'd love him at Celtic and would have him back in a heartbeat, but with Everton being my second team I am ecstatic he's here. I just hope he delivers and shows what he can do. He's been wanting to play in the PL for a while, so he really should take this great opportunity with both hands and I think he will. What worries me slightly is that he hasn't played for a while, and the pictures of him at Goodison yesterday showed him looking quite overweight. I've never seen him look that big in my life! He's all about pace and agility so he's going to a need a mini pre season and get back into shape ASAP.

Admittedly I haven't seen much of him at Spartak, but from what I hear he was decent in the years he was there, and by no means should he be labeled a flop. I think he made the wrong decision moving there, but getting £40k per week tax free (roughly equivalent to £75k/week here) might tell him different. Anyway he started well and there was a lot of talk about Zenit bidding 27mill for him a year later. I don't think he has been a world beater there, I think injuries may have hampered his progress, but most Spartak fans will tell you he was a good acquisition. By the looks of things they loved him and was definitely a fans favourite, with them being sad to see him go.

In a nutshell - worried, hopeful but most of all excited. Martinez is a smart man, and if he can get the best out of him (Shaun Maloney, Wigan..?) we are in for one hell of a ride. (y)

He might get the chance sooner than he thinks given Barkley being out!

His consistency is not as much an issue as much as his ability to link play up for me (all players are inconsistent unless they are the very best - I wouldn't expect world class performances week in, week out). If he slots in with the team that'll do me. I reckon he'll be a straight swap for us from what we got from Deulofeu.

I've had the fact he can play CAM mentioned a fair few times on Celtic boards now.

Maybe Martinez sees Barkley's future in a deeper role? He does keep drawing comparisons to Ballack afterall.

No way has he gone to Russia for £30k a week. He's had his big payday and I'm sure he's not daft in that if he wanted to move back to Britain he would have to lower his wages. He could of stayed at Celtic and earned £30k a week ffs

50k after tax he was on in russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back