2021/22 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of threat? He doesnt score or assist much.
He is constantly pinching the ball back and taking on defenders. So much so they have to bring him down. Sure, he needs to improve and there is massive scope for improvement but by the time he's 23 I'm confident he will be a top player.

This isn't an Anthony Gordon love in, I'm just baffled at how some people are slagging him when he has been a stand out player for us. His composure in front of goal will develop sure enough.

He is constantly pinching the ball back and taking on defenders. So much so they have to bring him down. Sure, he needs to improve and there is massive scope for improvement but by the time he's 23 I'm confident he will be a top player.

This isn't an Anthony Gordon love in, I'm just baffled at how some people are slagging him when he has been a stand out player for us. His composure in front of goal will develop sure enough.
I think it's been so long since he we saw a player commit defenders over and over again, we've forgot how valuable it is.

I think it's been so long since he we saw a player commit defenders over and over again, we've forgot how valuable it is.
With better players around him making better runs it will open up more opportunities to shoot and play the killer pass. At the moment everything is being forced. You see that throughout the team, players trying to force the pass because there aren't better options. It's a lack of mobility in midfield really.

When he’s played in a three in midfield, it’s really shown up what our midfield has been missing for so long. Players that can carry the ball through the centre of the pitch and advance the ball. That and a bit of mobility and pace.

It’s been obvious for so long and you’ve got to wonder why we’ve not recruited to cover an obvious gap. We’ve had to get to the point of desperation to try to convert a forward. It’s pathetic our midfields a joke.

Fair play to Iwobi, did well towards the end of the season, be interesting to see what he does next year. Ultimately I’d probably sell if I could (along with every other midfielder) and get in an actual attacking midfielder, don’t think there’s many top ten teams he’d get a game in centre mid, passings not cute enough.

When he’s played in a three in midfield, it’s really shown up what our midfield has been missing for so long. Players that can carry the ball through the centre of the pitch and advance the ball. That and a bit of mobility and pace.

It’s been obvious for so long and you’ve got to wonder why we’ve not recruited to cover an obvious gap. We’ve had to get to the point of desperation to try to convert a forward. It’s pathetic our midfields a joke.

Fair play to Iwobi, did well towards the end of the season, be interesting to see what he does next year. Ultimately I’d probably sell if I could (along with every other midfielder) and get in an actual attacking midfielder, don’t think there’s many top ten teams he’d get a game in centre mid, passings not cute enough.
I think it was what we brought Iwobi in to do. Then he spent years never being put in a position to do it.

I must admit, I am very surprised Iwobi isnt more inked in in a 433 system. A natural attacking number 8 really.
Not that I want to go back to the toxic wasteland that was his transfer thread but whatever the idea behind his signing was it felt clear at the time that he had these qualities. It is a shame we're still not fully seeing it.

Not that I want to go back to the toxic wasteland that was his transfer thread but whatever the idea behind his signing was it felt clear at the time that he had these qualities. It is a shame we're still not fully seeing it.

His signing seems a bit of a mess, in Everton fashion.

I've always felt we have tried to recruit for 433, but never recruited well enough and for different reasons had managers who have shied away from it. I dont think that's helped him.

But you look at him and Doucoure as your 8s, and you probably cover a fair few bases.

We have been a bit unlucky that the 6s we have bought in Delph and Gbamin have been perennially injured.

I’ve been really impressed with his recent performances and have a lot of time for him for putting the hard yards in, but I have a horrible feeling people are going to turn on him again once we go back to asking for more than just effort. He has - and has always had - the ability to do very good things, but I’m not sure he has the ability to do them often enough, and he also has the unfortunate habit of doing really bad things occasionally too.

There is a whole sea of idiots that don’t understand player development. They expect youngsters to be perfect from the start.

Time and patience required to develop most players.

Status
Not open for further replies.