2021/22 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im going to throw this out there. Would iwobi get into a top 8/10 side in this league. Bear in mind most teams have players who run and put in effort(gee thanks for that alex for 10 games)
Forget that bit for now, should be a given but im going to just ask about his final ball and delivery and effectivness. I'll go from 10th up in the league.
Genuinely interested who thinks he gets a game.

Im going to throw this out there. Would iwobi get into a top 8/10 side in this league. Bear in mind most teams have players who run and put in effort(gee thanks for that alex for 10 games)
Forget that bit for now, should be a given but im going to just ask about his final ball and delivery and effectivness. I'll go from 10th up in the league.
It's taken him until the age of 25/26 to get a run of first-team starts somewhere, which I'd think would be a red flag for any serious club.

I'd say his problem is that while he has decent fundamentals (can give and go, gets his head up) and a lot of the physical attributes you look for in a player, he doesn't have the sort of talent that can carry him through games where he's not 100% at it.

He could really make something of himself if he maintained the level of motivation he's shown in recent months, but I don't know how likely that is to happen.

on his end of season form I think he gets into the side at Wolves, Brighton, and tbh he could have replaced either Fred or McTominay

but - and I know this is a discussion board, where the point is to discuss things - I think this question misses the mark because it wasn't a matter of just how good is this player. A discussion of his relative strengths and weaknesses like you'd have for other footballers in other contexts is not on point. Not to be too melodramatic but this was a club and a man who met at a moment when they were both desperate. The club was going to crash out of the PL and Iwobi's career was on life support, and cometh the hour, cometh the man and all that. Lampard knew how to use him and motivate him and he was vital.

Hopefully next season will be a little more boring (in a good way) and we can go back to a dispassionate nuts and bolts analysis, like we would with any other player and situation. He's still a "bust" and has a lot to prove imo. I will say that switching the ball over to Mynkolenko for that volley, that could be a one-off but it would not be out of place on a highlight reel for James. If he can pull one of those out of a hat a few times a season then, you might be looking at.... an..... "elite" player?

I think he's a great example of a footballer that really benefits from feeling the support from the fans.

A couple months ago he practically admitted in an interview that he was s**t scared of the fans at the game until recently when we all started to actually rally behind the team. Gave him an obvious confidence boost.

I'm hoping we see a more confident player next season off the back of last season. He has ability just needs to work on end product. He was the difference in us staying up last season so he deserves a chance.

on his end of season form I think he gets into the side at Wolves, Brighton, and tbh he could have replaced either Fred or McTominay

but - and I know this is a discussion board, where the point is to discuss things - I think this question misses the mark because it wasn't a matter of just how good is this player. A discussion of his relative strengths and weaknesses like you'd have for other footballers in other contexts is not on point. Not to be too melodramatic but this was a club and a man who met at a moment when they were both desperate. The club was going to crash out of the PL and Iwobi's career was on life support, and cometh the hour, cometh the man and all that. Lampard knew how to use him and motivate him and he was vital.

Hopefully next season will be a little more boring (in a good way) and we can go back to a dispassionate nuts and bolts analysis, like we would with any other player and situation. He's still a "bust" and has a lot to prove imo. I will say that switching the ball over to Mynkolenko for that volley, that could be a one-off but it would not be out of place on a highlight reel for James. If he can pull one of those out of a hat a few times a season then, you might be looking at.... an..... "elite" player?

Probably right on a few things there. Though you might want to get a hold of them reigns with elite. Even though i realise how you quoted it.
I still struggle reading some of the comments about him. He has this weird combination of looking a tidy player but with very little end product. Im not a fan of how he promotes himself either. He can do that all day long. But i think there is a problem with players like that in that they believe they are better than they are. And that causes issues that they think they've done enough to justify it. Me personaly i wouldnt touch players with that mentality with a sh!tty stick. You've done nothing and won nothing but you are bigging yourself up. Why? But we are that level now i cant disagree. I dont think he would get in some of those sides you mentioned btw. Just my opinion.

I posted on here the other day about watching that alex ferguson documentary. It made me frustrated to be honest. He wouldnt even entertain so many of these Everton players because of their character.

Of course he wouldn’t. It shows how desperate we are as a fan base and how low our standards have been.

Think we can probably all agree he’s never getting in as a wide forward. Number 10 , not many play a 10 and he’s barley played there for us or shown anything that a top 8 club would put him in that position - you’ve actually got to have some cutting edge and end product to ply there for these teams.

Leaves the centre midfield role he played for us, where he showed his best run of form. In a team with zero athleticism or ability to carry the ball, he did a job that nobody else could do. Miles and miles off being a top 8 centre midfielder, particularly the attacking midfielder in a three. Nowhere near the passing, composure, cutting edge in the final third. A stop gap until we sign an actual midfielder and when we eventually do, can’t see a top 8 club signing Iwobi.

Sad but true.

Bet you he made loads of progressive passes though, that's the main thing.
That does matter mate! Especially when you're a true midfielder and not a forward/wide player.

I assume it's just because we're going on ten years of anywhere from meh to utterly terrible midfield play but the Evertonian insistence that wheyher or not you have midfielders who can pass/dribble the ball forward doesn't matter is just crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.