2021/22 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing how this guy really stepped up in what was probably the most stressful and high pressure run of games in our club’s history. His confidence will be brimming next season and i’m excited to see how his Everton career develops from here.
Good point this, if he played for Burnley and not us they would of stayed up and we would of gone down

Anytime I've talked to a Arsenal fan they've always been a little perplexed by how atrocious his performances were with Everton. They definitely believe we over payed for him but they always mention he wasn't abysmal during his time there. If we didnt aleady have a slew of somehow more wretched players I'd been keen for him to depart, also he seems to suit Frank's pressing philosophy. So if he can replicate his form at the end of the season I'm okay with him staying.
Basically the same for me. They were happy to get rid because it funded Pepe who they thought was going to be amazing (LOL) and thought the price was too high. But they also mostly thought he was decent and one guy thought he'd really break through with us.

Not sure I’d say he was ‘really good’ at any point for us. Compared to a very low bars et by other attacking midfielders he was not terrible for us for a run of games. That’s not the same as being really good.
No mate, the run of games where he was a central midfielder he was actually good at it. His ball progression was (and always is) excellent except it was also finally his main role in the team.

People might think I'm joking a bit when I say he's our best central midfielder but if Allan is really hurt/gone I actually think he is.

My point is more that Iwobi was a really good #8 for a stretch and people should stop acting like he just ran a lot. @MikelsGoat

Of course the way this works is he'll never play there again for us. So sell now.
Not sure I’d say he was ‘really good’ at any point for us. Compared to a very low bars et by other attacking midfielders he was not terrible for us for a run of games. That’s not the same as being really good.
Thats the crux for me, sure he did "some" good things and he was VASTLY improved, but theres a million miles away from improving on complete garbo to really good.

Thats the crux for me, sure he did "some" good things and he was VASTLY improved, but theres a million miles away from improving on complete garbo to really good.
As I've insisted he was genuinely good in midfield. If he continues to play in midfield he might keep playing like that or maybe even better. But that is apparently not allowed as it never happens no matter the manager and I feel confident that we'll start next season with Doucoure and Davies in a two while he's wasted at RWB again.

And so you'll say he's garbo and you'll honestly probably be right.

As I've insisted he was genuinely good in midfield. If he continues to play in midfield he might keep playing like that or maybe even better. But that is apparently not allowed as it never happens no matter the manager and I feel confident that we'll start next season with Doucoure and Davies in a two while he's wasted at RWB again.

He gets played at RWB because his first touch often puts the team in trouble. He’s sloppy on the ball (like a lot of our midfielders) but Iwobi does tend to lose it in dangerous positions. He needs to improve this if he’s going to play midfield regularly. He can because he didn’t do it at Arsenal but his touch is so sloppy here at times.

I actually thought he was decent at wing back.

Look, im trying, really trying to be a bit more positive with regards all our players, even the 1s I dont really like.

Iwobi has been utterly woeful for the majority of his time here, but at times after Lampard came he was NEARLY a good option.

Him and Gordon are so, so close to being actual good players for us.

He gets played at RWB because his first touch often puts the team in trouble. He’s sloppy on the ball (like a lot of our midfielders) but Iwobi does tend to lose it in dangerous positions. He needs to improve this if he’s going to play midfield regularly. He can because he didn’t do it at Arsenal but his touch is so sloppy here at times.
For me if the choice is having players who lose the ball and thus don't want it (Doucoure, Gomes, Davies sometimes) or one who will want it and do things with it and take the chances I'm choosing the second guy every single time.

It's fine, you can take the safe ones who do nothing and you won't give up goals like the one West Ham scored. I think I'll end up with more points over the course of the season.

I actually thought he was decent at wing back.

Look, im trying, really trying to be a bit more positive with regards all our players, even the 1s I dont really like.

Iwobi has been utterly woeful for the majority of his time here, but at times after Lampard came he was NEARLY a good option.

Him and Gordon are so, so close to being actual good players for us.
He's definitely going to screw up defensively playing there and everyone will hate him.

His value on the ball is in the middle. He's also just as good at winning it back as the other crap in our team, bar Allan. It is a low bar but still.

For me if the choice is having players who lose the ball and thus don't want it (Doucoure, Gomes, Davies sometimes) or one who will want it and do things with it and take the chances I'm choosing the second guy every single time.

It's fine, you can take the safe ones who do nothing and you won't give up goals like the one West Ham scored. I think I'll end up with more points over the course of the season.

Well I’ve been saying that the three you mentioned have been terrible for ages. It’s not an either or choice though. We can get players in who can trap a ball and then pass it to a player in blue. It can’t be that hard. If Iwobi can improve his form then he can earn his spot. Being better than Gomes and Davies is a boast every midfielder in the league can make though so it’s not a ringing endorsement.

Well I’ve been saying that the three you mentioned have been terrible for ages. It’s not an either or choice though. We can get players in who can trap a ball and then pass it to a player in blue. It can’t be that hard. If Iwobi can improve his form then he can earn his spot. Being better than Gomes and Davies is a boast every midfielder in the league can make though so it’s not a ringing endorsement.
Oh I agree we should sign a lot of midfielders this summer. At present we haven't though so what we have is Iwobi and he's good enough at it to start every week for me.

He completely won me round last season, so fair play to him.
The big question is whether it was just the style of play that suited him, and can he fit in to the style Lampard wants to play.
It will be the same for quite a few of them.

Oh I agree we should sign a lot of midfielders this summer. At present we haven't though so what we have is Iwobi and he's good enough at it to start every week for me.

My first choice midfield three of players currently under contract are Allan holding, Docuoure and Iwobi ahead of him.

I’d swap all three out if I could though because they’re not good enough.

My first choice midfield three of players currently under contract are Allan holding, Docuoure and Iwobi ahead of him.

I’d swap all three out if I could though because they’re not good enough.
I think I agree with that but Allan really is awful at the deep role. I'd like to think we could get a reasonable effort out of Davies there and play Iwobi and Allan further up but I'm not sure we can. For me that is the biggest hole in the side by far. A midfielder who can just stand in the right spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.