Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2022/23 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
He can’t play in the middle because his first touch is poor and he ducks tackles. Took Dyche all of one training session to see that. He’s better on the wing as he has more room to take a bad first touch and also doesn’t have to compete all the time for 50 50s. I don’t know why people say he’s out of position when he’s spent the entirety of his career playing out wide for Arsenal and Everton apart from one half season under Lampard.

He can’t play in the middle because his first touch is poor and he ducks tackles. Took Dyche all of one training session to see that. He’s better on the wing as he has more room to take a bad first touch and also doesn’t have to compete all the time for 50 50s. I don’t know why people say he’s out of position when he’s spent the entirety of his career playing out wide for Arsenal and Everton apart from one half season under Lampard.
Just in general it doesn't at some point become the right way to use a player if you keep doing it wrong for a very long time.

He should probably just play on the left like he did at Arsenal. That also requires however a system somewhat resembling that one which we don't do. Our wide players play much wider. And that's really why he should arguably be a central player for us. The qualities he does have show up the best when he's in that spot. Yeah there are downsides because he's a flawed player but I'd argue we still need the upside he brings because otherwise it just isn't present in our play.

What he's not good at is playing on the right. He still has moments where he can make useful passes or take up good positions because he's decent at it on the whole but it shows up much less often due to his one footedness and the angles defenders can show him on that side.

I think he plays better for us when he’s in the middle, however on the right wing his defensive play has been excellent. I think one of the reasons Coleman has been solid recently is that Iwobi tracks back so well. He must cover a lot of ground over 90 minutes. That’s why Dyche is playing him there rather than Gray.

I think he plays better for us when he’s in the middle, however on the right wing his defensive play has been excellent. I think one of the reasons Coleman has been solid recently is that Iwobi tracks back so well. He must cover a lot of ground over 90 minutes. That’s why Dyche is playing him there rather than Gray.

To be fair to Iwobi he does this well and something any right sided player is going have to do when sat in front of Colaman. Be interesting when Paterson comes back in how more effective Iwobi will be on the right as his covering duties ease off.

I can't work iwobi out.

I have never been his biggest fan, but see the moments others refer to above. Unfortunately there are even more moments when he runs straight into the opposition and gifts them the ball, or passes it straight to them.

I think he is a concept, or an idea rather than an actual footballer.

I honestly don't think Iwobi has been that bad recently

There are others who have been far worse IMO

It’s indicative of the problems in our squad, when lads are still arguing about the best position of a 32 mill pound footballer almost four years into his contract.

To be fair I think it’s pretty clear he’s at his best in the centre. I doubt dyche sees him as a long term option at RM. But needs must.

I honestly don't think Iwobi has been that bad recently

There are others who have been far worse IMO
He has been good, always working hard when Everton don't have the ball and makes himself available when we do.
Look at Saturday, we don't get that goal without his excellent pass in the build up.
He is definitely at the right club

I'm sick to death of his stupid flicks that invariably gives the ball away. He needs to learn when it is appropriate.

Last Saturday, he was losing the ball all over the shop, because he was trying little reverse balls, or flicks. Don't get me wrong, I love intricate football and skills, but only when it is right and not when you are 1-0 up and coming under constant pressure.

Personally I think he's a luxury we can't afford (now), but we have to - because the other options are so poor.

I'm sick to death of his stupid flicks that invariably gives the ball away. He needs to learn when it is appropriate.

Last Saturday, he was losing the ball all over the shop, because he was trying little reverse balls, or flicks. Don't get me wrong, I love intricate football and skills, but only when it is right and not when you are 1-0 up and coming under constant pressure.

Personally I think he's a luxury we can't afford (now), but we have to - because the other options are so poor.
We probably don't score Saturday if he's not playing so is it really a luxury?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back