Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2022/23 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
My main criticism of him is his discipline on the ball. He has given it away too many times in the wrong areas and has to improve there. He does have a great touch has energy and can pass a ball. I honestly think with better players in front of him We would get a better return from him. I don’t think getting rid of Iwobi is a priority to be honest. We need a Cull at centre half and some cover a left back and good centre forward as competition for DCL and hopefully we will take a closer look at Cannon pre season. The midfield is looking better with Garner, Onana and Gueye. We’ve also got Gomes coming back after a full season of football and Dyche may take a look at him.

He had better players at arsenal and they couldn’t believe their luck when we came in with our ridiculous offer

I've said similar about Doucoure. Regardless of what they do in the near future we shouldn't be looking to keep either if we can find cheaper replacements that are at least their quality.
They were bought for too much and given a wage above their ability.
If there are other options then we should probably look elsewhere as we're hemorrhaging money with the wages we pay to average players.

I've said similar about Doucoure. Regardless of what they do in the near future we shouldn't be looking to keep either if we can find cheaper replacements that are at least their quality.
If there are other options then we should probably look elsewhere as we're hemorrhaging money with the wages we pay to average players.

This.
I know its figures being branded about but i find it staggering that we are even talking about rewarding these players who are relegation type level players. If anything they should be begging the club to stay. On half the money.
Its almost like we want to be right back here fighting relegation again if we stay up.

The counter is though mate, you have to pay a fee, and wages to recruit.

For me, we should take up Doucoures 1 year option, and with Iwobi, offer him maybe a 2 year extension. I'd just give shorter contracts.

But that argument applies to the whole squad, do we keep renewing their contracts and increasing their wages be cause their contracts have been ammortised?

Are you asking me can we get a player then Iwobi for wages of 5.2 million a year - without question. As we know fees spent can be ammortised over years, in terms of the profit and loss.

Take someone like James Ward Prowse he’s on about 5.2 mill a year. Maddison 5.7 mill, Odengarrd 4.1 million. That’s the type of wage company and caliber of player you are suggesting we elevate Iwobi to and call it value - sorry mate not for me.

Theres a couple of things here though mate.

Firstly all of the above sign their next contracts for a lot more money. None of them would also come here.

Secondly you have to pay a big fee for all of them.

Theres definitely not been good enough cost control on signings, and in honesty we have been targeting the wrong type of players. But Iwobi, on 100k p/w on say a 3 year deal, with no fee to pay is, in a relative sense quite cheap.

Ask yourself would you sign him in the summer if he wasn't here and pay him 100k a week!

You also have to factor in, he knows the club, City, managers style and suits it. Theres always risk bringing people in.

However, on a free, given his numbers, I would probably sign him yes at those figures.

For me, we should take up Doucoures 1 year option, and with Iwobi, offer him maybe a 2 year extension. I'd just give shorter contracts.
Doucoure maybe, Iwobi no, he's given us very little over his time here and this would be another huge mistake from the club.
In terms of goals and assists i think you could pick a youngster up from anywhere that would give us the same level of performance and consistency as he does.

I think we need to go with a small squad next season e.g 18 players and the rest youngsters.

So we probably should keep both short term (Doucoure 1 / Iwobi 3) as they do have experience and can each play several positions.

Alot will depend on whether we (yet again :( ) sign several players in a stupid scattergun approach or (for once) generate income from deadwood/squad sales and target 2 or 3 players only.

I think we need to go with a small squad next season e.g 18 players and the rest youngsters.

So we probably should keep both short term (Doucoure 1 / Iwobi 3) as they do have experience and can each play several positions.

Alot will depend on whether we (yet again :( ) sign several players in a stupid scattergun approach or (for once) generate income from deadwood/squad sales and target 2 or 3 players only.
With a caveat that if his agent and Thelwell can find him a move that brings in £15mil to us id happily sell.

Theres a couple of things here though mate.

Firstly all of the above sign their next contracts for a lot more money. None of them would also come here.

Secondly you have to pay a big fee for all of them.

Theres definitely not been good enough cost control on signings, and in honesty we have been targeting the wrong type of players. But Iwobi, on 100k p/w on say a 3 year deal, with no fee to pay is, in a relative sense quite cheap.

Wouldn't be on board with that wholly mate, maybe our own self identity and confidence has been battered a bit in recent years. The very fact lets say Ward Prowse, Maddison and lets say someone like Gibbs White are at clubs we are directly competing against, i think only suggests that even at the lower level we are punching at having access to this players isnt beyond the realms of possibility. Id accept Maddison is prob beyond on us in terms of career trajectory - but Ward Prowse - Gibbs White - im no so sure - which of the CL clubs really need a play maker. You can look elsewhere, Silva went out and picked up Pereira and Willian for a bit of playmaking stardust. These players arent beyond our reach or as inaccessible or as expensive as some may think. Someone like Reiss Nelson has 3 goals and 3 assists this season from a 146 mmins of football in the PL and is on a free. Iwobi has 2 and 8 from 3100 mins.

On the finance piece, im not saying we are brewstered but there has been £70 mill in revenue that has come into the club this financial year, while granted we have to have a wide eye on profit and sustainability rules and our loss situation - we should be in profit this year and as fees can be ammortised over the course of a contract - i dont think we should be afraid of investing money at all if we can do deals. we are in a much better position then we were 24 or 12 months ago - providing we stay in the league of course which is the massive unknown.

So for me an area of the squad we can improve is Iwobi's, hes not a 5.2 mill player, he doesn't make that level of contribution and can we improve the position with resources at hand - absolutely.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back