Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2022/23 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing is...you can throw all the stats into the mix but not one person can give a valid argument to defend him if it was a choice between Iwobi or buying an actual central midfielder or winger over him.

Personally think while he's had probably his best season for us...he's still part of the problem with the balance of the squad.

It's his athleticism that keeps him playing rather the being good in a position.

He wouldn't play 1st team for any other team in the league.

Ask yourself would you sign him in the summer if he wasn't here and pay him 100k a week!

Thing is...you can throw all the stats into the mix but not one person can give a valid argument to defend him if it was a choice between Iwobi or buying an actual central midfielder or winger over him.

Personally think while he's had probably his best season for us...he's still part of the problem with the balance of the squad.

It's his athleticism that keeps him playing rather the being good in a position.

He wouldn't play 1st team for any other team in the league.
Can he play LB?

Myself I think that number of assists is a very undervalued stat, commentators should be referring to it much more often. And Iwobi's 7 assists this season put him in very good company - https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/goal_assist .

You can also throw into the mix that he's versatile, and that under Dyche he's been playing some of his best football and working really hard for the team.

Myself I think that number of assists is a very undervalued stat, commentators should be referring to it much more often. And Iwobi's 7 assists this season put him in very good company - https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/goal_assist .

You can also throw into the mix that he's versatile, and that under Dyche he's been playing some of his best football and working really hard for the team.
Do those assists include the ones he’s provided for the opposition?

Ask yourself would you sign him in the summer if he wasn't here and pay him 100k a week!
Ask yourself that about our whole squad and we would end up with half dozen players.
His transfer fee is a sunk cost, his wages would need to be spread over any new contract term to make it comparable.
'If' we offered him a 3 year £100k a week contract, it would be the same as buying someone for £10m and paying them £35k a week.
Now, go out and find any players in the prem that have came for them numbers recently, and have been a success.

If Dyche’s plan is to let him cheat a bit and stay upfield more often than not Iwobi makes sense. If Dyche’s plan is to play him as a natural box to box right midfielder then he is not a great option. He is a player that needs to bypass the midfield altogether on the ball. He makes too many mistakes there.

If you go into stats got to take them all into account even the sloppy passes poor positioning that have allowed teams to score in particular when in the middle. Keep out wide a decent winger probably our best we have on the right currently.

Top ten in through balls as well.

Top 10 in assists and through balls is a good return when you consider he has been playing a lot of game time with space cadets like Maupay in the final third

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back